has anybody tried medical pot "cbd" for epilepsy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

jenn2482

New
Reaction score
It is illegal in my state , ny but in many other places legal . I have complex partial seizures . NOw on 5 meds but sloly going off keppra .

I found some one to sell me a high CBD strain and it definitely helps! not legal here either, but I so want to try juicing marijuana... search youtube "power of raw cannabis" high CBD has made miracles in dravet children given to them in oil or tincture form. if juiced and not heated it does not have a psycho-active effect.

jenn2482

5 meds to control your E? And not working?

my Son is trying out CBD, we in early stage though, and need to give it time before I will truly comment...we live NLD, legal here..

Good luck!!! I am hopeful I won't have to move, recent poll of voters here came out 53% for, with laws like Colorado 37% against 10% meh so there is hope I guess. SERIOUSLY good luck Chaz1 to you and your son! I am optimistic for you and for me and right now that is all I have optimism for. I just talk to my memory (wife LOL) and we realized that I have not had a grand-mal since I was able to get a high CBD supply, so the effects are definitely helping! so far my seizure are just petti-mal (clonic)

Last edited:
Aftershock

thats GREAT!!!

;) thanks and wishing u the very same...

I see your state failed to pass legislation - how crap is that..

jenn2482

NY is pending legislation, fingers crossed it will pass....

Last edited:
jenn2482
The polls are better than they ever have been!!! LOL I'm hopeful to have fresh blue claw crab and cannabis salads LOL ;) I tell anyone who will listen about the virtues of marijuana. if you look at my fb page it is covered in conspiracy stuff (fun) and marijuana education and legalization (Serious) since E stole my career (long hual truck driver) I have plenty of time LOL

Last edited:
recent poll of voters here came out 53% for, with laws like Colorado 37% against 10% meh so there is hope I guess. SERIOUSLY good luck Chaz1 to you and your son! I am optimistic for you and for me and right now that is all I have optimism for. I just talk to my memory (wife LOL) and we realized that I have not had a grand-mal since I was able to get a high CBD supply, so the effects are definitely helping! so far my seizure are just petti-mal (clonic)

I suffer from refractory epilepsy and I also live in Colorado. I've also tried 10 meds and had a lobectomy 20 years ago and now I have the VNS. I'm not sure I would try pot, even though Dr. Sanjay Gupta (a neurosurgeon on CNN)changed his mind about it.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/08/health/gupta-changed-mind-marijuana

How would I know it is actually the "Medical Pot", high in CBD and low in THC? Even tho there are plenty of "pot" shops all over the Denver area now. And I don't want to "smoke" it.

How would I know it is actually the "Medical Pot", high in CBD and low in THC? Even tho there are plenty of "pot" shops all over the Denver area now. And I don't want to "smoke" it.

My thoughts exactly. They would have to come up with some very rigorous screening and testing protocols to ensure the supply is high in CBD and low in THC before I would even remotely considering trying it. And smoke it?? No way.

Cint,
I am a smoker lol" if I can put fire on one end and get pot or tobacco smoke out the other, I'm ok. Like you, a lot of people are not. Really, smoking is the fastest way to get it in your system, but not the most efficient. That way is oral. soft tissue under the tongue or best is to swallow it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Masterjen
If I remember what I red in the law, in CO and CA they are required to CLINICALLY test each batch before they can sell it
as to smoking they make edibles...drinks, cookies, sweets, and cannabis oil, or tinctures

I have just a tried high-CBD strain (vapor pen - oil) called Cannatonic. 60 per 1/2 gram.

It's really relaxing. Truly this seems to work better than anything else I have for easing my post-ictal symptoms of irritability, fatigue, and confusion.

I have been taking Gabapentin, Depakote, and Klonapin for years now for complex-partial seizures, to little avail. I smoke a lot of ganja to ease my symptoms, always with the sense that I'm trying to get at something in it but can't get enough because after smoking a given amount of THC one wants to stop.

This Cannatonic oil is produced by a company called Popnaturals Premium Oil Products. I'm informed it is formulated with 27.3% CBD (most strains contain well under 1% CBD) and 29.3% THC (most strains are 19-24%).

I'm lucky enough to live in CA and my PCP gives approval for my use annually. That gives access to the dispensaries, which offer a range of strains and products. The better dispensaries have their inventories professionally assayed. One example: http://thegreencross.org/menu/indicas

Assaying is not required by law in California. There is little regulation of the dispensaries or their cannabis products beyond taxation, zoning, and anti-smoking laws, so far as I know.

I've been going through heavy post-ictal confusion and fatigue since awakening having seized during sleep a week ago. My freqent complex-partial seizures keep me bedridden most of most months for years now. This is the best I've been feeling this week. And, there is a relaxed, relieved feeling. Ahh. I think this stuff might be the what the Dr.'s should have to offer.

Anyway, hope this is informative. Best of luck Jen, and to all of you.

Last edited:
in CO and CA they are required to CLINICALLY test each batch before they can sell it
as to smoking they make edibles...drinks, cookies, sweets, and cannabis oil, or tinctures

Aftershock,

Since the legalization of cannabis here in CO, they are selling it in edibles like cookies, sweets, etc. However, one can OD on these as has happened several times here in the Denver area since the beginning of 2014.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/two-denver-deaths-tied-to-recreational-marijuana-use/
In the days that followed the death of Pongi, Denver police confiscated the remaining cookies from the pot shop to test their levels of THC. The wrapper on the cookies bought by the students said each contained 65 mg of THC for 6 1/2 servings. Tests showed the cookies were within the required THC limits, police said.

"The thing to realize is the THC that is present in edibles is a drug like any drug, and there's a spectrum of ways in which people respond," said Michael Kosnett, a medical toxicologist on the clinical faculty at the University of Colorado School of Medicine.

He said a person's genetic makeup, health issues and other factors can make a difference, and first-time users might consume too much, unaware of how their bodies will react.

In Colorado we do have some good shops that do carefully monitor and display the CBD/THC ratio. In my personal experience high CBD in small quanities is helpful--but even the high CBD varieties have some THC, and if you are sensitive to THC, that can make seizures worse, and sometimes much worse, so overdoing it by smoking too much could be asking for trouble. For me at least touching anything with a high THC content is asking for a seizure. My thought is if you want to be sure to get the epilepsy benefits from marijuana and not as interested in the high the way to go is to go with the pure CBD oil, which has no 'high' element at all and no THC at all but has been shown to help with epilepsy. I haven't tried that yet but that may be my next stop as well.

...My thought is if you want to be sure to get the epilepsy benefits from marijuana and not as interested in the high the way to go is to go with the pure CBD oil, which has no 'high' element at all and no THC at all but has been shown to help with epilepsy. I haven't tried that yet but that may be my next stop as well.

I haven't found a pure CBD oil yet, but there is apparently a new strain of cannabis with near 0% THC and a lot of CBD, called "Charlotte's Web". There is a bill before Congress now to legalize therapeutic marijuana that specifically names Charlotte's Web for epilepsy patients. Please see: http://www.medicaldaily.com/charlot...tment-can-it-replace-traditional-seizure-meds

I'm very encouraged by the Cannatonic (my previous post). I believe the effects of cannabis depends on the _ratio_ of the various cannabinoids to one another, and that taking THC out of the picture may be just the thing for seizures, so Charlotte's Web sounds promising.

BTW in my previous post I mis-stated the cost of Cannatonic oil. It's 40 not 60 per half g. It costs another 20 for the (reusable) vapor-pen and charger necessary to consume it.

:twocents:

Last edited:
I haven't found a pure CBD oil yet, but there is apparently a strain with near 0% THC and a lot of CBD called "Charlotte's Web". There is a bill before Congress now to legalize therapeutic marijuana that specifically names Charlotte's Web.

That Charlotte's Web is here in Colorado, as mentioned in my post
http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/08/health/gupta-changed-mind-marijuana
In fact, sometimes marijuana is the only thing that works. Take the case of Charlotte Figi, who I met in Colorado. She started having seizures soon after birth. By age 3, she was having 300 a week, despite being on seven different medications. Medical marijuana has calmed her brain, limiting her seizures to 2 or 3 per month.

I have seen more patients like Charlotte first hand, spent time with them and come to the realization that it is irresponsible not to provide the best care we can as a medical community, care that could involve marijuana.

And here is more about Charlotte's Webb:
http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/07/health/charlotte-child-medical-marijuana/index.html

The Epilepsy Foundation supports the legislation of access to cannabidoil. Pennsylvania Rep. Scott Perry has introduced the Charlotte's Web Medical Hemp Act of 2014. More info in this website:
http://www.epilepsy.com/article/201...s-legislation-expand-availability-cannabidiol

Cint,
I am a smoker lol" if I can put fire on one end and get pot or tobacco smoke out the other, I'm ok. Like you, a lot of people are not. Really, smoking is the fastest way to get it in your system, but not the most efficient. That way is oral. soft tissue under the tongue or best is to swallow it.
Since you seem to know so much (not said sarcastically)is there any that helps partials that doesn't cause a person to devour ever food in sight?

Last edited by a moderator:
I will tell you that no matter how high in CBD, if I smoke a little it helps, if i smoke too much, it makes me more likely to have a seizure. I know that could just be me, and everyone is unique, so that is only one user's perspective :) but they all make you want to eat more! Only exception for me is since I went up in Topamax. Nothing makes me want to eat more.

Last edited:
This will happen if ur stomach is empty. Have your usual food. Now u will find smoking is nothing to do with CBD. More CBD gives more comfort always. Cheers!!!

I think it all boils down to "Everyone's body is different." Unfortunately, the only way to determine if it works for you is to try it. I am afraid of having life-altering consequences and so I choose not to try. I have a new friend that keeps wanting me to "try it" but I am too scared. Maybe the reason is that my eldest son is bipolar and I am convinced that he used it and that triggered his condition????
Again. This is me.
M

Have a Pepsi bottle in hand ready. Now Try CBD. Don't get scared this time. You see the effects. If you feel uncomfortable then send Pepsi to clear your CBD stomach. If u don't feel any negative impact immediately just try some more CBD after some time. This way you can get the real results of CBD.

My relative tried this idea and it worked. So keep calm and enjoy CBD

Back
Top Bottom