Has anyone ever succeeded in stopping an imminent seizure from coming on?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

You mean bio feed back I started using that and didn't even know I was doing it.
Till a friend at epilepsy foundation told me I was .I'd feel one coming on and say over and over in my head I'm not going to have a seizure it works sometimes.

Now bringing on a seizure crowds will do it fr me but I can't bring one on.

Belinda

I think I may have stopped an oncoming seizure this past Friday, but I'm not sure...:dontknow: I know, that doesn't really make much sense...

I was watching TV with hubby. I'm notif it was the beginning of an aura or just a strange feeling. I had been feeling kinda 'funny' all day; just a little 'off'. I heard him say my name and ask me a question, and I immediately felt that fear deep in the pit of my stomach that accompanies my aura...

I didn't tell him what was going on because he always makes a big deal and it stresses me out--I feel guilty:huh: that I'm stressing him out. I just answered the question he had asked and went into the bedroom. I laid back on the bed and stared intensely at the celing, thinking "I am not going to have a seizure" then I remembered reading something about a woman who was able to stop a sz by smelling a strong odor, so I gave it a try. I found my favorite lotion (jasmine and vanilla scent from Bath & Body Works). I put it on my hands and a dab just below my nose, did some deep breathing for about 5 minutes. When the fear passed, I came out and was fine all night.

I hate to think I might have been on the verge of a sz, but I like to think I was able to stop it.

Last edited:
That is awesome Morgan. You need to keep some of that lotion with you at all times. Or maybe carry a vial of the oil around your neck.

Just curious.... what if you were not focusing on the fact that you were "not going to have a seizure" and focused on something that used another part of your brain (I guess that is what the smell did for you), but I am thinking something constructive, sweeping the floor, ironing, drawing a picture... might that also reroute the patterns developing in the brain? Just curious as Rebecca can't discuss this with me, she never remembers.

Robin, I don't know. For me, it's hard to think about anything other than how much I don't want it to happen. I have complex partials, which feel like a whirlwind of thoughts racing through my mind so fast that I can't grasp one before another comes crashing in--a prisioner inside my own brain. I can't even stay focused long enough to say a quick prayer (that's the worst part). The "not going to have a sz" is like an anchor...a steady thought and I've been afraid to deviate from it. I haven't tried anything else, though...I'll give it a try sometime (but hopefully not soon :)) It might be different for Rebecca, since she has t/c's.

Last edited:
She has had a few that have begun with mulitple thoughts. I say that famous quote " if you do what you have always done, you will get what you have always got." Now is the time to try something different.

True. And what's the worst that can happen? I'll have one anyway....but ironing won't be on the list of things I try--I've burned myself so badly I've had blisters when I wasn't having/about to have a sz. ;) I'm a bit of a clutz, so sharp and/or hot objects are definately going to be a no no.

I've stopped seizures when I use to have aura's and now every blue moon when I have an aura. by using biofeedback I just say over and in my head I'm not going to have a seizure and I don't have one.

What the Epilepsy Foundation of Georgia taught me ...

True. And what's the worst that can happen? I'll have one anyway....but ironing won't be on the list of things I try--I've burned myself so badly I've had blisters when I wasn't having/about to have a sz. ;) I'm a bit of a clutz, so sharp and/or hot objects are definately going to be a no no.

The Epilepsy Foundation of Georgia taught me how to
live safely; and it just wasn't "in the kitchen" only - it
was the entire house!

Had to learn to block out cornered furniture - in other
words, re-arranging the house, so it was safe. And in
addition, for future furniture purchasing; learning to
purchase items with rounded or tampered edges, so I
wouldn't get hurt.

Even coffee tables were a "no-no", although I did have
one, just one, but open-spaces or open flooring was the
primary and main issue if all possible in the event if ever
a seizure, especially a tonic-clonic were to happen, it
would minimize the injuries.

I mean they covered everything as much as they could
in such a short time span. I admit I balked, I wasn't used
to having such a drastic change like this; but now I under-
stand why - Safety was their concern and in their minds
and since then my home has been as much as possible to
that standards.

As far as the kitchen goes:

I've learned how, which was a hard thing, considering having
worked in restaurants being a District Manager and Co-Owner
of my former in-law's Restaurant: I was used to commercial
standards. I sulked and cried much (call me a baby if you want)
and even went into a closet with hopes they would go away
because I was that frustrated ~ but they did not give up on
me, they stayed with me until I learned how to do it properly
and safely. With practice, I was able to master it and can handle
knives.

However with today's new technologies and with my health in
a decline, knives aren't used as much now as it was before. I
now use food processor with a push button type or mortar. And
in my Stores that I go to, many times, they will cut it for me (all
because they know me) for they are concerned about my own
well being and safety. I admit, I've sliced my fingers more times
now than I have in the past.

As for cooking on the stove, thanks to the EF of GA - having the
flat-top range is the best thing for a person with Epilepsy; not
gas or the traditional electric coil where pots and pans can be
tipped over easily and/or catch on fire. While it took me awhile
to get used to having to cook with handles in a different direction,
but I'm ever grateful and thankful for EF of GA in what they've
taught me in such a short time span.

Unfortunately they never did finish teaching me everything I
needed to know because I returned back home from our temporary
stay up there (for we were only up there for a little over a year
after a huge Corporation bought out our big Company and we had
the 'change over' and decided to hang out there for a bit before
heading back home; but unfortunately that is also where I sustained
the TBI in 1988 ).

So all in all, the EF of GA - in spite of my stubbornness at that time,
I learned a lot, basically - how to live safely and since then, that
was all I knew about Epilepsy was how to live safely for years; but
ONE THING I disliked about "Living Safely" - was to the fact they
insisted on people with Epilepsy having to use shower curtains and
I hate those with a passion (I should capitalize it all) - I love sliding
glass shower doors. I take my risk and chances on that. But I do
understand I cannot have tub baths alone (drowning), and I do not
lock my bathroom doors when I bathe either, so I lack my privacy
there. However, I do have a passion now and then when I want to
have a Spa Tub Bath; my son has to be here and he checks on me
frequently (but I'd rather be alone, but that's one thing you have to
live with pertaining with Epilepsy).

Hi John

I have managed to do this a few times, I find that I'm more likely to have problems with my epilepsy if my mind is empty, and I'm not concentrating, so if I get enough warning that I'm going to have a problem, I can actually concentrate really hard on something, anything, I usually picture myself standing in front of the Pyramids in Egypt, or just really focus on a happy memory, I have actually found myself shouting "Go away, go away" to my auras, some of them are so incredibly intense that I can't do much about it, and I just let it role over me, I don't know if this makes sense or not, but some of them are almost like spiritual, religious experiences, it's how

Sharon,
The epilepsy foundation of Georgia taught you?
that surprises me .
They never taught me a thing.
All thye ever did was drive me home after I had a seizure after everyone got off work.
I was a volunteer there for 2 years.

there was one lady there that taught me a lot about epilepsy though.
Belinda

it worked for me

I've only had seizures twice in my life up till now. The first time was 3 years ago. 2 grand mal within 30 minutes of each other. Came to in the hospital. After 3 months of testing etc they couldn't find anything and said they were provoked by stress.

I turned my life around, starting with getting a new job. I learned to meditate and learned more and more to live in inner balance, and how to find inner balance again quickly when I've lost it.

Sunday morning I suddenly had an aura, out of the clear blue. I went to the floor and instantly began to meditate, finding that quiet place in my heart. I quietly refused to let the storm take hold of me and it passed over without breaking into a seizure.

All told the same thing happened 3 times last Sunday. All 3 times I was able to stop it.

Mflint, I've often wondered if meditation could derail a seizure. I know in general it's good for lowering overall stress levels, but it's nice to see that it can have an immediate effect as well. I suspect it's a combination of the breathing and something along the lines of what neurofeedback does. By learning to meditate, you've re-trained your brain to head off the bad brainwaves.

Nakamova, the only way I can think of to describe it is that I immediately went into my own inner sanctuary where nothing but stillness and peace can exist. I kind of made my spirit so smooth that the attack couldn't find anywhere to hold on to me, so it blew over me without stopping.

I refused to grasp the fear and panic and illusions that wanted to grip me during the aura. I let the storm rage above while I remained quiet and still in myself.

I've meditated twice a day for 30 years. I have to say it has not helped me stop a seizure once it starts. Or avoid them altogether, for that matter. My seizures were escallating over my lifetime until I was diagnosed and placed on meds.

Most of the research I've read on this subject has been done in India. Some research says that meditation helps reduce the number of seizures. Some research says meditation can actually cause seizures due to hypersynchronous neural firing (neurons firing at once). Some studies say this only happens when a meditation practioner's skills reach a certain point.

Here's more info from epilepsy.com, but it doesn't cite much of the research.
http://professionals.epilepsy.com/page/ar_1152280835.html

Here's a study that says meditation helps:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16722786

Here's one one that says it hurts:
http://www.medical-hypotheses.com/article/S0306-9877(04)00539-0/abstract

There are a lot of different kinds of meditation, but I think most of them take us to the same goal at the very end. Who knows which studies are right, and whether it helps or hurts when it comes to seizures? I know until there is a definitive answer, I will continue to meditate.

Interestingly enough I don't follow any particular teaching when it comes to meditation. I have simply learned how to turn my eyes inward and enter that secret place deep inside me where only peace and stillness and harmony exist. It's taken a long time but I finally came to the point where I can enter that place very quickly in most cases, and rest there while storms rage above me. In that place I am able to calmly observe what's going on in my life and see it with open eyes, and adjust my emotions to fit the circumstances.

That was the case last Sunday when the first aura hit me. I knew what was happening to me right away and went to the floor just in case. Then I withdrew to that secret place and said I'm not going to let this happen to me. The storm raged above me while I rested and waited for it to pass, which it finally did. Afterward I was still exhausted and shaken up but not freaking or anything. I simply did the same thing the next two times I was hit by auras as well. Peace and stillness, waiting, not letting the storm stop and take control.

I used to have the ability to stop a seizure when I felt it coming on but that ability has been long gone now. I used to be able to just fight thru it and make it a case of mind over of matter if that makes any sense. It was effective then but now my notice is too short and no way can I do it now.

That's what I'm afraid of. My neurologist told me that since I stopped the last seizures I am allowed to drive a car again. What happens if it happens again and I can't stop it this time? I don't feel secure like that. I'm scared to drive.

You may want to ask Nakamova & Epileric what happened when they stopped their meds. Both have a story.

I was able to stop my strongest seizures when i made them come.

all i needed to do is open my eyes and in this way the seizure would basicly stop in the middle of won't even start (i mostly have auras before the seizure and know how to make the seizure happen).

another way i stoped my seizure was tightening my muscles when i was angry about the seizure happaning.my seizures are myoclonic jerks only.

Hey,
My daughter is now 8 and recently had video telemtry eeg & ecg done at St George's hospital, London. She had 24hours of being stuck in cubicle wired up under spot light of camera - but as she has seizures every day & night I was confident they would catch something for the neuro physiologist to assess along side the neuro psychologists summary - which frankly just confirmed what I had been telling the proffessionals for last 3years. That her behaviour & concentration is severley affected symptomatic of ADHD and memory problems.
My close friend did some Reiki on my daughter this summer with interesting feedback with regards to what they both experienced - after 10min my daughter said it was too much & she couldn't take anymore as her head was hot. & my friend said she could feel the instability & heat exchange. That night she had fewer & smaller seizures.
I can see the energy change in Faith, my daughter when she is going from partial seizures to 2ndry generalised & my dog can smell these changes in her too & reacts a minute before they start. Faith's seizures are definately triggered by emotional stress, and photosenstivity. When Faith feel's the aura of bigger seizure developing, I ask her to breathe & focus on me - eye contact & keep calm - this seems to help them escalating. If she pushes herself through it she inevitably ends up with full generalized seizure with blue lips, loss of continence & even vomiting. If she has nightmares these can bring on seizures on Friday she woke up with vomit all over her & she couldn't remember anything :(

Back
Top Bottom