Have you ever really hurt yourself bad during a seizure?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

walksalot

New
Reaction score
I've ironed my left hand three times and received three pretty bad second degree burns, but the worst I ever did was hold a pot of boiling potatoes against my stomach. I got a third degree burn out of that one and it took almost 4 months to heal it. One doctor said I needed a skin graft. Second one said I didn't. I opted not to get one. The scar is really impressive and quite a conversation piece when I have to go to the ER. It's still purple and that was over two years ago. I'm waiting for my next injury now. Luckily, I always hurt myself and no-one else--yet.

I bet one of you has a worse story than mine, though.:agree:

Ooooh, Owwww ! Just the thought of those things happening makes me cower away into a li'l corner.

I guess I'm one off the lucky ones - nothing to report on the 'self-harm during a sz'.

^ that's one off the beauties of having aura's ;) .....you know when to put the potatoes down

Well, last year, I fell into a campfire pit, while the campfire was burning. :) My hubby ran through the fire, picked me up, and put me down on the rug near our tent. When I woke up, I had a beaut of a shiner. My poor hubby's feet were mildly burned, and he ended up getting dirty looks everywhere we went.

Mmmmm,

I tend to break my bones. And, pieces of furniture around me. 'Specially the bed, cuz that's what I'm usually in. Or, if I've fallen asleep in the chair, that chair is pretty much dust, especially if it's a recliner!!! LOL:bigmouth::roflmao:

Oh, and little tables, too.........I think I've gone through eight of those......

To Meetz1064: some drugs can cause osteoporosis, valproate for example.

I broke my face 1 time, that's all... I was in my bathroom and probably started having a seizure and fall over my bath... not good for my face :( There was a little danger for my eyes, my glasses broken but only after 1 month or two I return to be an italian latin lover....

Yes, Borgo....

I know, and thank you for the reminder. I do remind my doctors on occasion that we need to screen for it, and I am checked. So far, so good. I am more diligent since I am no longer able to tolerate milk products of any kind. But, arthritis has set in anyway, through out my neck and spine. That was found a few years ago.

Been lucky.....

With the exception of a double shiner (fell on a cement floor) I've been lucky. An aura is really a blessing with T-C seizures!

About 2 months ago I had a grand-mal seizure and fell against a solid oak coffee table and split the back of my head open. I had to get 5 staples in my scalp cuz it was such a long and deep cut.

I never thought I'd say this: I'm glad I have auras.

Fortunately I always have time to get to a safe place, wether that be the middle of the living room floor or a quiet corner somewhere... The worst I've ever had was the time I thought I had bitten my tongue in two. When I came to, I had blood all over me--yuck

Wow. Maybe we should create t-shirts that say something like 'The Surgeon General has determined that seizures may be hazardous to your health.'

Well about auras,
there good if you can get to a safe place in time. A month ago I had an aura and started to bedroom to lay down and was almost there. Well I have hardwood floors and they can be slick some time, my right leg went out from under me. I tore 2 ligaments in my knee, after I finally got up crying and limping to to the bed I fell again aginst the dresser hitting it with the back of my head. That cost me 5 staples from the gash in my head and I"m still wearing a knee brace.
Seizures are no fun, but I'm not tellin' you guys anything.
Duke,
God bless, and be carefull.

I can't iron, even seizure free, without burning myself. I've got a beauty on my stomach several years ago. No scar, though. (Learned a good lesson: don't iron while not fully dressed...even if you're planning to wear the shirt being ironed)

I like the t-shirt idea...

Duke, sounds like you had a rough one! Luckily, I've got about 15 minutes with my auras to find a safe place...

Stacy has fallen face first into a door jamb at the onset of a tonic clonic once and shattered her two front teeth. She has also fallen and caught the crown of her head on a window sill (which split her scalp and caused tremendous blood loss on the bathroom floor) requiring staples at the ER.

I have to say though.....

I've done some dense things like....
Feeling a seizure coming on and walking to a safe place instead of sitting. I have GM seizures and sometimes I think I've been my own worst enemy:ponder::ponder:

My very first tonic/clonic.......

....I was severely burned. It was early morning and I had places to go and people to see, so was stepping out of the shower and all of a sudden I had this weird sensation come over me. I remember sitting on the floor, drenching wet, and when I thought I was fine, I stood up, and that's the last thing I remember. Somehow, when I had the seizure and fell, I fell backwards into the bathtub and hit just the hot water spicket and lay there long enough to suffer the burns. The next thing I know I was in a "flight for life" helicopter being flown to a hospital, in and out of consciousness. I was in the burn center of the hospital for two months with 2nd and 3rd degree burns on my back, right arm, part of my right side. Fortunately, it wasn't my face. They finally made the correct diagnosis at the hospital that I have epilepsy. I had been to doctors before the accident, and not one said I had epilepsy. Before the accident, I was experiencing simple partial and complex partial, so I knew something was wrong. I just didn't know it was epilepsy.

So, accidents can and do happen in showers as well as in bath tubs!!!!
Fortunately, I was at my parent's that weekend. Back then I was young and on my own, living by myself. I hate to think if it had been during the work week and I'd been by myself. :(

Cindy

I had a seizure in the shower and broke my nose.

I had seizure cooking went down,tried pull myself up and it was a frying pan got burnt by chix grease.

I've broken my jaw when I went down on a sidewalk.

I've broken both collarbones one summer 6 weeks apart.

Belinda:e:

Back
Top Bottom