Have you ever seized while driving?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

HotMess

New
Reaction score
I had a seizure while driving, and it has really shook me mentally and emotionally. It was really hard for me to start driving again even after the six months of no driving were over. Every now and then while driving I start to panic that I may have a seizure even though I'm fine. If any of you have had seizures while driving, or had a seizure that has put you in my negative state of mind how did you get past it? What helped you? I need some advice...

Yes, I have had a complex partial seizure while driving. I was 17 years old, and I was driving in a business area, where the speed limit was 35mph. My mom was in the passenger side and she recalls me looking to my right, and my lips were smacking, and I was not focusing on the road. She turned the wheel to the right to pull over and took put the car from drive into park immediately. It was then that she took me from the drivers seat to the passenger seat and took me home to call the doctor. She said it scared the crap out of her. I of course do not recall any of it.

Yep, the seizure that got me diagnosed happened while I was driving my two older kids home.
I'd had one TC seizure at work but of course it takes more than one before they call it epilepsy. Six months after that one I was driving my kids home during peak hour when I started to feel weird. I now recognise that as my aura but at the time I just remember starting to think "wow this is like that time I collapsed at work" but I didn't get to finish the thought. I have CPs that end in TCs. I'm told I started weaving a bit and hitting the kerb. There was a truck behind me and at first the driver thought I was drunk. Then he saw my kids in the back and decided that no mother in their right mind would be driving drunk at 4.30 in the afternoon with two kids. His common sense saved our lives. Still in the midst of a complex partial I pulled up at a red light. He pulled up behind me and got out. He came to my window and knocked to get my attention. He says I just looked through him. He asked if I was ok and I said nothing. The light turned green and he saw me move my foot to take off. That's when he yanked open my door, reached in and turned my ignition off. He steered my rolling car into the kerb and he says as soon as it stopped I launched into a full tonic clonic. He left me strapped in to stop me from hitting the steering wheel and went through my handbag on the passenger seat and found my phone. He called an ambulance and then called the first person in my phone. When I came to there was a stranger standing beside me (the truck driver) and my friend Brett in the passenger seat. The ambulance arrived a minute later.
I was within metres of turning on to a busy highway and have no doubt that truck driver's common sense and brave actions saved at least my life and that of my two older kids. And my youngest because I wouldn't have been here to have her if I'd died!
We were in newspapers and magazines at the time - not quite how I wanted my 15 minutes!!
As I'm sure you can imagine, that shook me to the core. I forced myself to "get back on the horse" though because a life lived in fear is a life half lived and I'd be letting down more than just myself if I didn't.
No one can tell anyone else how to feel about that sort of situation but I made myself drive again and thankfully, seven years later I've never had another one while driving. Mine mostly seem to happen when I'm asleep these days.
Good luck with your decision. I hope my story helped :)

Yep right after I was diagnosed with E. I was 18 or 19 and was driving around the small town I grew up in. Side swiped another car after having a complex partial. I had no idea it happened untill later that day when the police came to my door and wanted to see my car. There was paint going down the passenger side of the car. The scary thing was I had no clue it happened and I drove all the way back home. After that I sold my car and didn't drive again untill I was 25.

I'm afraid that I have been guilty of driving while having simple partials and complex partials. It was when they kept on saying there was nothing wrong with me and to go home and live a stress free life. I remember falling asleep at the wheel after taking an ativan hours before and swerving to avoid hitting a car at a red light.
I remember having jamais vu while driving but then finally figuring out where I was and just thought, whoah, I must be tired and tiredly drove home.
I remember pulling off to the side of roads after nodding at the wheel to have I think, a seizure because I just remember pulling over to sleep at the wheel.
I always thought that I was just really tired as a mom of little ones.

On the plus side, I went for a bike ride two days ago! It takes 20 mins to bike to my friends house. This is exciting because I am no where near public transit. Just have to find my helmet and then I'm good to go.

Now they are calling them seizures and I thank my lucky stars that I never hurt anyone.

I don't know if I'll ever be able to drive again with the way things are going but time will tell. When I do, I sure don't want to drive alone for a long time.

I decided everyone is safer if i don't drive. But years ago after my no driving grand mals (my first was while driving) and after the waiting time was up, I'd start driving again but only take baby steps. Ie-use side roads, just run errands that were within a mile of the house etc. It helped build up my comfort level.

I have never had a seizure while driving and my meds have my seizures under control. But when I drive I always have this in the back of my mind. I take side roads and when I can I stay in the far right lane, just in case I need to pull off. This may not make any difference but I feel safer.

I have never had a seizure while driving and my meds have my seizures under control. But when I drive I always have this in the back of my mind. I take side roads and when I can I stay in the far right lane, just in case I need to pull off. This may not make any difference but I feel safer.

I completely agree about the right lane comment. I found a route to a walmart in which I could leave my apt, take a right turn onto the road, a right turn into walmart and do the same to get home.

It was one heck of a route, but i felt very secure and safe. :)

I have had several seizures while driving. I always have deja vu, I would pull over to the side of the road, have the seizure, put my lipstick back on and continue onto work.
I had everyone telling me that I was disable, so I was determined to show everyone I could work, drive. I SEE HOW selfish that was of me.

There are days when I just know not to get behind the wheel. My seizures are pretty much under control, so now it's my energy that keeps me from driving. I feel I don't have to respond needed to drive carefully.

I have SPS when driving so know I have my wife do the majority of the driving and if i absoluity have to same as the posts above right lane abck roads so I can off and allow more than enough extra time to get to where I need to get to in case of "seizure" or PNES actitvity if its a dad only appointment and they have to stay home. accident free so far but i avoid driving as muich as possible!

mike

jyearta:
I love the part where you say you put your lipstick back on and then just carried on.

One must have dignity after all and do whatever we can to feel a little bit better.

That being said...I'm glad that you see now that perhaps that wasn't the best thing.
Did they never pull your license? Where I live they are pretty trigger happy about that.
They keep on resetting my start time again and again. I don't even drive and they report me all the time just to reset the clock again to a year from this time...we're even thinking about selling a car just because it seems to unlikely that I'll drive again, or anytime soon.

i must say these stories make me feel somewhat better i have had mutiple seizures whie driving and have been hauled out by paramedics and on time i jumped out of the car and walked home because i was still in that haze after the seizure i didnt even really know what was going on...unfortunately i left the car in my neighbors front lawn...they did not find that very funny :p..so the next day at work the cops called me and had a "chat"...anyway...to anyone that has every felt alone with epilepsey or just plain scared, i want you all to know i know exactly how that feels...it gives me anxiety like no other, and alot of people can't really even fathom things like this and i really want to say if anybody wants to talk or even relate stories, im all ears:) -sleepydoggjones

Hi HotMess,
yes I have and it was one of the most awful days of my life. I was just coming onto five years grand-mal free, and that's how this SOB reared it's head again. I had had a simple partial (suffice it to say didn't know that's what it was at the time or would have pulled over) about a minute earlier, but it subsided so I didn't think much of it. Last thing I remember was cresting a hill - then opened my eyes in a ditch surrounded by cops and first aiders and a fire truck. That experience will shake me to my core for the rest of my life; have had a handful of g.m.'s since and they have left emotional scars as well, but none quite like that. Please know you're not alone, never will be on this site.
When you're driving now however, do your best not to panic that you will have one though you're feeling fine. The anxiety can easily bring one on, and unfortunately we go through enough without bringing them on ourselves.
I know some days it feels like you can't win, but if we do our best to keep those ugly buggers away then it's one more day of victory. It's actually been nine years today that I had my first grand mal, and looking back I think the only way I've got out of bed and lived through every day is 1. acceptance, and 2. staying on top of what is happening, it becomes instinct to take care of yourself the way you take care of a child. Take your meds, always, see your doctor and neuro as often as possible and stay in touch with them re: prescriptions and necessary tests, and 3. get the support you need from those that truly 'get it' - which you've already done by coming here. BIG HUGS and all the best to you through this recent scare; pls believe me it does get easier.

jyearta:
I love the part where you say you put your lipstick back on and then just carried on.

One must have dignity after all and do whatever we can to feel a little bit better.

That being said...I'm glad that you see now that perhaps that wasn't the best thing.
Did they never pull your license? Where I live they are pretty trigger happy about that.
They keep on resetting my start time again and again. I don't even drive and they report me all the time just to reset the clock again to a year from this time...we're even thinking about selling a car just because it seems to unlikely that I'll drive again, or anytime soon.

My neur. never said a word in anyway about driving. It was here at CWE that I 1st. ever gave it a thought. SCARY
I use to dr. 45 miles to work and back, in atlanta traffic.

It makes me wonder about neur.

i have had several grand mals on bicycles always fun.

Has anyone been told that if you are in an accident, it,s not your fault but the anyone finds out you have epilepsy that is autom. your fault.

This is what one Neur. told me.

yes, homicide, if you knew you had epilepsy you knew you were a risk to others

Yes I had a seizure while driving. It was two years after my wife's untimely death that this happened. I was driving across Interstate 10 to LA and from what the police report says here's what happened, the truck was westbound in the left-hand lane and I was driving at the regular speed limit when it happened. The course of this accident was before the truck flipped over while I was having a seizure it's grazed the center divide, sparks were flying from the metal that was being ripped apart from the door and the truck somehow flipped itself upside down luckily we were both in seatbelts my son and I or we would not be around to talk about today. I woke up in a hospital in the town of Pamona. And of course handcuffed to the hospital bed and a CHP officer standing by ready to question me I don't remember anything when I woke up and my head hurting from a laceration to my four head . As with every grand mal seizure I was confused about my whereabouts but I soon realized that I was in the hospital and the strangest thing happened to me they had me hooked up to a IV laced with liquid Dilantin and that made my forearm feel like it was burning from the inside it hurt so bad I was crying. Later on they put something in the IV to calm the pain. Then I start talking to the CHP officer . Luckily my truck was the only vehicle involved in the accident. I was very worried that I could've hit somebody but I didn't. I tried to get up and asked about my son. But I could not get up so they told me my son was okay, thank God!! I talked to the cop for three hours, and they finally let me call my sister in Woodland Hills to pick me up. Still and always will be one of the worst days of my life. Sorry this is so long . Today I am still worried about driving there's always that feeling in the back of my mind and it never goes away.TY

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom