Have you ever seized while driving?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I have had many partial seizures driving. If it weren't for my kids there to help me... I don't know where I would be.

Yeah, a while after I had my first grand mal. Of course, nobody was saying I had epilepsy then, and nobody knew I had complex partials then. And I really didn't know what happened - I suspected, but I didn't tell anybody, because well...I was just completely freaked out. I was stopped at a stop sign, at a railroad crossing. There was a train coming from the right - I remember that - from a distance, I thought, and the next thing I recall was being on the opposite side of the tracks looking in my rearview mirror at the train passing by. The guy in the truck at the other stop sign was just shaking his head in disbelief.

In the early days, my GPs and neurologists never said anything about not driving, even after I had a t/c seizure. I stopped on my own, for 10 years, while I was having hundreds of partial and complex partial every day. My neurologist now advises no driving even with a switch in meds, even though my seizures are such that I don't lose consciousness or have even much of an alter in consciousness.

Yes, It happened when I was about 24, at approx 7:00 AM; I was driving to a local business school I was attending at the time. I was driving facing the rising sun, so the sun was in my eyes and the last thing I remember was the street light I was approaching. Luckily I was behind a work van that was loaded with parts (it was so loaded/heavy that no one in the van was hurt) When the light turned red, I guess it stopped but I didn't. Totalled our car. I rear ended the van while having a grand mal-I woke up in surgery while the hosp staff removed glass from my face. Apparently I went through the windshield to a degree, but I remember a dr saying that since I stiffened up the streering column saved my life. I haven't driven since. Sorry this is so long...

Yes, It happened when I was about 24, at approx 7:00 AM; I was driving to a local business school I was attending at the time. I was driving facing the rising sun, so the sun was in my eyes and the last thing I remember was the street light I was approaching. Luckily I was behind a work van that was loaded with parts (it was so loaded/heavy that no one in the van was hurt) When the light turned red, I guess it stopped but I didn't. Totalled our car. I rear ended the van while having a grand mal-I woke up in surgery while the hosp staff removed glass from my face. Apparently I went through the windshield to a degree, but I remember a dr saying that since I stiffened up the streering column saved my life. I haven't driven since. Sorry this is so long...
OMG THAT IS ONE OF MY WORST NIGHTMARES!!! OMG I'm so sorry that happened to you

Shannon, Hey I'm still alive & kicking! Didn't mean to scare you, but thanks for you concern. We all just have to go forward everyday & live each day as a new one.

Yes thank God you are OK! It is just scary to know how dangerous it is for us to be behind the wheel of a car.

I never had one behind the wheel, i typically get aura's,however my doctor pulled my license last Jan. it's been a lil crazy to get around.... a friend of mine has been in 6 wrecks in 2yrs due to seizures and he still has his license, go figure..i guess every doctor is different.

I never had one behind the wheel, i typically get aura's,however my doctor pulled my license last Jan. it's been a lil crazy to get around.... a friend of mine has been in 6 wrecks in 2yrs due to seizures and he still has his license, go figure..i guess every doctor is different.

Yes every Dr is different... but don't you think everyone should be at least told the 6 month rule?
6 wrecks in 2 years??? Oh my.... I would never get behind the wheel after the first T/C in the car!! I would be way too afraid °_°

Okay I'll admit that I've only read the first few posts in this thread. Just a few weeks ago someone else on the UT assoc board and I were traveling around doing a few things for the association. She was driving in the middle of the day when she asked me casually "so Lauren, have you ever had a seizure while driving?". I was like of course not, I've never been able to get a license. She told me she'd had plenty of seizures before while driving, and that confused me and made me a little upset at the same time. The thing that makes me hate epilepsy the most is that I cannot drive. The state will not let me legally drive until I'm seizure free for 3 months, and I went so far as to have brain surgery with the sheer hopes that I could get a license, that didn't work. So why should she be driving so freely? We didn't keep the conversation very long, just long enough for her to assure me that they were just little ones and that she's never hurt anybody on the road. She was even laughing a little. I just don't get it, that's all.

Last edited:
Hi Lauren,
She has epilepsy right? I find it hard to believe she thought there was anything to laugh at. She needs to get educated on what's really going on I think. Just little ones? Does she not understand how quickly a 'little' one can turn into a 'big' one and she won't have any control in the matter? Does she even bother to pull over until it passes so she's off the road in case she loses consciousness?
Next time you see her tell her from me it's no laughing matter and just b/c she hasn't hurt anyone yet doesn't mean it will never happen. The first time she wakes up in a ditch or against a tree, or god forbid another vehicle or pedestrian, she'll wish she had given her disorder the consideration it deserves. Demands actually.

Sad to hear. Someone with her attitude (does she even tell her doc about her 'little' ones, there's a chance that she wouldn't even be allowed to drive) is driving around yet someone like you, who takes this all very seriously, has never had her license. I too am looking at brain surgery, and have lost my license four times, agree with you that people like us that really try and get the shit end of the stick deserve so much more compared to those that think this is all really no big deal and that they are in control of what happens, driving around with no thought of safety, theirs or others.
I would be really curious to know if her doc is aware of 'all the seizures' she's had while driving. She may be telling herself that since she's not blacking out that there's nothing to tell. Again, lack of education that puts others at risk.
HUGS to you girl for your effort with your E and all you've done to try and change things for the better. I agree that not driving is the largest thing that E takes from us, the lack of independence is astounding. And I'm sorry your surgery didn't work, this is my biggest fear.

Thanks for your support. She's new to the Association. I have no idea how old she is or how long she's had epilepsy, but I do know we have the same doctor. I don't know what a few other people on the board think right now but she made a bad first impression on me. That doesn't mean I don't like the girl and we'll never be friends, I've only known her for two months. I've never called a seizure "a little one" and I didn't know that term bothered me until I heard it from someone who actually does know what seizures are.

Last edited:
Hm... I've never had a full blown seizure while driving, but I have had a couple simple partials. I always pulled over to the side of the road or had someone else drive if I wasn't alone - this was before I was diagnosed, but I can feel when something isn't right.

Hi Lauren,
She has epilepsy right? I find it hard to believe she thought there was anything to laugh at. She needs to get educated on what's really going on I think. Just little ones? Does she not understand how quickly a 'little' one can turn into a 'big' one and she won't have any control in the matter? Does she even bother to pull over until it passes so she's off the road in case she loses consciousness?
Next time you see her tell her from me it's no laughing matter and just b/c she hasn't hurt anyone yet doesn't mean it will never happen. The first time she wakes up in a ditch or against a tree, or god forbid another vehicle or pedestrian, she'll wish she had given her disorder the consideration it deserves. Demands actually.

Sad to hear. Someone with her attitude (does she even tell her doc about her 'little' ones, there's a chance that she wouldn't even be allowed to drive) is driving around yet someone like you, who takes this all very seriously, has never had her license. I too am looking at brain surgery, and have lost my license four times, agree with you that people like us that really try and get the shit end of the stick deserve so much more compared to those that think this is all really no big deal and that they are in control of what happens, driving around with no thought of safety, theirs or others.
I would be really curious to know if her doc is aware of 'all the seizures' she's had while driving. She may be telling herself that since she's not blacking out that there's nothing to tell. Again, lack of education that puts others at risk.
HUGS to you girl for your effort with your E and all you've done to try and change things for the better. I agree that not driving is the largest thing that E takes from us, the lack of independence is astounding. And I'm sorry your surgery didn't work, this is my biggest fear.

Yeah I definitely wouldn't be happy with her to hear that. I actually have told my neurologist about my simple partials, and I've never had a complex partial, and I've only ever had two tonic-clonics, and I've had hours of notice (even before medication) he has cleared me to drive after six months (THIS WEEK!!!) Her neurologist might still allow her to drive if she tells him about her simple partials.

The thing that makes me hate epilepsy the most is that I cannot drive. The state will not let me legally drive until I'm seizure free for 3 months, and I went so far as to have brain surgery with the sheer hopes that I could get a license, that didn't work. So why should she be driving so freely? We didn't keep the conversation very long, just long enough for her to assure me that they were just little ones and that she's never hurt anybody on the road. She was even laughing a little. I just don't get it, that's all.

I used to live in TN. and there it was a year seizure-free before one could get a license. Now I live in Colorado and it's up to the dr. to determine when/if their patient can drive. When in TN., I had the brain surgery and was seizure-free long enough to get my license back and drive for a short time. Then seizures (CP & TC) returned and I wasn't able to drive for years. Fast forward to 1998 and I had the VNS. It helped control my seizures, totally wiped out the TC's, and I even went seizure-free for a year again. I was seizure free for 3 months and my neuro said I could drive again. That is until yesterday afternoon. I was driving from the post office. While pulling out of the parking lot, I could feel the aura and so quickly pulled into a parking lot across the street. I thought I used my magnet to stop the seizure, but it obviously did work. Next thing I remember I was in my car in the middle of the street, numerous people were talking to me, telling me that the police and an ambulance were on their way and things were going to be ok. I couldn't comprehend as they kept talking to me and asking me questions. But by the time the medics and police arrived I was doing better and could understand and it started to register as to what had just happened. I had plowed across four lanes of traffic and ran into a tree, totaled my car. I don't remember a thing after pulling into the parking lot! :( Fortunately, no one else was involved in the accident and I wasn't seriously injured. Just a sore neck and chest from the air bag. And the police officer didn't ticket me because it was a medical incident. I've never had that happen before and now I WON'T be driving for a long, long time. DAMN THESE SEIZURES!! I HATE EPILEPSY!!!!!!
I'm one of those that have refractory E. NOTHING has worked for me. What else is there out there except wishful thinking?! I just want to crawl underneath the covers forever.

OMG, Cint I'm so glad your alright! How scary. Thank goodness you're okay. Driving is overated. (sometimes I feel that way) I've only had my license twice in my life- for a period of less than a year combined. I miss it, but then again I don't. When I think of my wreck and hear stories like yours, I don't miss driving at all.
You will get through this-crawl under those covers for a while, even snuggle up, but be sure to come back out.

Thats why I need to go to the doctor to sort this out. even if it is nocturnal seizures and only happens once every 6 months, atleast I will know its ok to drive!

Clint, my so glad your OK. I know that had to scare you so bad.

-----HUGS-----

Thanks Jackier and jyearta. I was pretty shaken up. But glad no one was injured.

Oh Cint I'm so sorry to hear, tears pouring for you right now.
FUCKING EPILEPSY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Seems to be that way for many of us 'refractories'... just when things start to look up bend over 'cuz you're about to be screwed.
I'll never forget waking up in my vehicle with all those people around me and you're just like, 'whaaaaaaa??' Then it hits you. Know EXACTLY what you're going through and am sending you the BIGGEST HUGS FROM CANADA EVER.
Get under those covers for as long as you need girl, you know we're all here for you whenever you feel like crawling back out.

Thank you, qtowngirl. I've been cryin' off and on for several days now. I want this fucking E to go away and leave me alone. Leave all of us. This is one CRUEL joke. I HATE IT. Sometimes I HATE MY LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom