Have you ever seized while driving?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I was driving from the post office. While pulling out of the parking lot, I could feel the aura and so quickly pulled into a parking lot across the street. I had plowed across four lanes of traffic and ran into a tree, totaled my car. I don't remember a thing after pulling into the parking lot! :( Fortunately, no one else was involved in the accident and I wasn't seriously injured. Just a sore neck and chest from the air bag.)
Cint,

I'm sorry about your accident but I'm glad no one was badly injured.
You only recently started driving again aswell hadn't you?

Cint,

I'm sorry about your accident but I'm glad no one was badly injured.
You only recently started driving again aswell hadn't you?

Yes, recently and only for a short time. I won't be doing that again.

Thank you, qtowngirl. I've been cryin' off and on for several days now. I want this fucking E to go away and leave me alone. Leave all of us. This is one CRUEL joke. I HATE IT. Sometimes I HATE MY LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OMG. Cint im glad your ok. As you may or may not know I went 15 years after my seizures. Were controlled with Tegretol after surgery. I drove to work every Day. I drove. With my family in the car. Never crossed my mind that seizures would ever come back. I thought I had beat it forever. Now every month when I make the payment on a car I can't drive and I look at it staring at me in the driveway I feel this FUCKING E laughing at me telling me i'll never win. There are days now when I just don't want to get out of bed. I get up and check out thid site and I get inspiration from this site. We are all here to lift each other up. And not being able to drive just makes us that much more unique!
Your in my thoughts and prayers right now.

Pita,

I do remember your story of you being seizure-free 15 years after surgery. Wow! To have E return after going that long really sucks! I had the surgery too, and have the VNS, and had been seizure free just long enough to drive for only a short time. After this accident, I am scared to death of ever driving again. I know I could have been killed or killed others. I don't want to experience this again. But I want the public to understand E, also, and that in and of itself is the most difficult task. I hate having these "freak shows".

Yeah I agree. Even if fhe new med helps and im able to drive again it would scare me to death. I told my boss about the eeg results and starting a new med. First words out of her mouth was when do you get to drive? Some people have replied that driving was over rated. I know for a fact its the difference between being a burden to others and true independence.

Pita, I was one of those that said driving was overated. I agree with you 100%-Yes, not driving is a burden & does take away one's independence but after wrecking & not driving my entire adult life (except for 1 year) I would rather be alive than drive.

I got into an accident during an aura once. I t-boned a car after running a red light, before I was diagnosed.

More recently I had an absence seizure on the highway. I licked my lips and apparently slowly rotated the wheel back and forth for about fifteen or twenty seconds. Then had an aura and post-ictal confusion afterward and kept trying to pull over and hit the brake. Instead I kept missing the break and hitting the floor with my left foot. My wife helped me pull aside but I didn't take my foot off the gas and drove for about ten or fifteen seconds on the shoulder with feet on the brake and gas while I tried to hit the emergency lights and kept missing.

Eventually she just grabbed the emergency break and pulled it, turning the car off to stop it. After talking about it she explained it and mentioned the lip smacking. I told her I never smacked my lips. That was how we diagnosed the absence seizures.

Haven't driven since while I wait for new meds. *sigh*

That sucks Cint. Tennessee also sucks for public transport too...

Back
Top Bottom