Hello Everyone....

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I'm here to ask a question that I hope you experts can answer for me.

I have Periodic Leg Movement Disorder. When I sleep my legs thrash about (below knee). I wasn't aware of this till I did a sleep study. As a result of the sleep study the doctor wants to put me on neurotin to control the leg movements. After researching it I see that it is used to control certain types of seizures. I have never used this medication and was wondering what experiences those of you who may have taken it may have had. In your opinions is it safe? What side effects can I expect?

Thank you for considering my question and any answers you may give.

Kindest regards,
RebelRebel

Hi RebelRebel, welcome!

You can search for info here at CWE about Neurontin using the search tab at the top. Restless Leg syndrome is one of the many off-label uses for it. It's also known as Gabapentin -- see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabapentin

Neurontin's also been prescribed off-label for bipolar disorder (with less-than-stellar results) and peripheral neuropathy. I'm assuming your doc is starting you out on a small dose and tapering up slowly -- that's the norm for most drugs that target the brain. If you decide to go off of it, you should also go slowly -- abruptly starting or stopping these meds can potentially cause seizures. I haven't used Neurontin myself, but most of the AEDs cause drowsiness and you should be careful when drinking alcohol.

I've heard that restless leg syndrome can be caused by too much caffeine and/or anemia/low iron. Do either of those apply in your case?

Best,
Nakamova

Thanks for answering.

I haven't discussed this with the doctor yet. I'm suppose to meet with him early next week when he'll give me a prescription.

I'm assuming he feels it is related to the central nervous system and that neurontin will suppress the impulses coming from the brain. Your right about some of the causes and I wondered about that too. I don't drink coffee that much (1-2 cups a month) however because of the daytime tiredness I have been drinking those energy drinks...Monster or Rockstar which I believe do have caffeine but how much I don't know. They seem to work for me though.

Two of my previous blood tests came back as borderline anemic (slightly under the lowest level) but the doctor checked me out for any internal bleeding which was negative. I have since been taking iron suppliments and my last CBC (7/19) came back normal with acceptable iron levels.

An optional treatment is Klonopin (muscle relaxer) which supposedly has had significant results.

I'm not sure about taking the neurontin since I don't know the side effects. I may take it for 30 days to see if it's tolerable. I'll certainly check out the links you provided.

As a sidebar....I've always thought my brain hasn't worked right. I was a twelve pound baby when born and the doctor had to use forcepts to pull me out. My mom said he had a hard time. I don't know that it cause some damage but I can't rule it out. I also suffered a bad seizure back in 1959 as a result of running a mile race in high school. The only thing they found was that some of my brainwaves in the deep center of the brain weren't right. I've had no problems since. I've also had some hard hits (5-6) on my head over the years that have caused concussions. I just have this feeling my brain isn't firing on all cylinders. I believe I have a hyper-active (damaged?) Amgydala which causes moderate to severe anxiety and associated mild OCD. No regular doctor cares...they just shrug their shoulders. I need to see a Neurologist who will work with me to find out what they can do to test me.

Thanks for listen...hope it wasn't tl;dr.

Kindest regards.

Last edited:
I was on Neurontin for at least a year for muscle spasms. I experienced no real side effect. Do you have Hyper reflexes? When you doctor checks you reflexes does he have to jump out of the way? Mine have continued this way, and now he tells me that they will remain.

Hi, Rebelrebel. And welcome!

I was on gabapentin/neurontin for about 7 years for nerve pain, and I had no problems with it other than sleepiness. It knocked me out at night and I slept like a rock.

I was on a very low dose. I was taken off of it when the doctor diagnosed seizures, to see if it was causing the problem. It wasn't.

Thanks Robin....I'm glad you pointed that out. I will ask the doctor about this. I will be extra alert to anything that seems to go that way.

Thanks HuskyMom, I don't think I've ever had my reflexes checked. I'll ask the doctor about it. Glad you had no adverse symptoms, it gives some hope.

Thanks Endless, that may be why he's prescribing it for me. I went in because I suspicioned I had sleep apnea....which they say I have. I also have insomnia and now Periodic Leg Movement Disorder. The said my legs moved 197 times in one hour...the tech who watched me said I looked like I was running a race.

I'm anxious to see how this med works for me. I'm not big on taking too much medication (already take four) but if it somehow controls my brain to the point the legs stop moving and my anxiety is relieved and my insomnia goes away...then I'll be happy.

Hey, Rebel,

The neurontin may knock you out at night, but it won't fix sleep apnea. You need a CPAP for that. I'm betting you have one. But if you don't then maybe you'll want to go back to your sleep doctor.

Sleep apnea is a serious seizure trigger for me, so I make sure mine is well treated.

Endless,

I haven't gotten a CPAP yet. They want me to do another sleep study so they can get the right air pressure for me. To be honest I think I'm going to wait. I say this because some of the people I've talked to said to lose some weight first and see if that cures it. I'm just starting to do that so I may wait 3-4 months before I go back. The tech that watch over me was on a machine but lost 50 lbs in 3 months and got off of it. But you've got me wondering now about seizures...not that I think I've had any but you never know. All of this is going on without you knowing about it.

Super thanks for your thoughts.

Back
Top Bottom