Help- I don't know if i'm having seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Nash

New
Reaction score
Hey, last saturday I was at a house party, had a little to drink (about 3 half glasses of beer) and the had 3 tonic clonic seizures. A neurologist said that I may just have been allergic to the alcohol as I'd never actually had beer before and my CT scan came back normal. But today I just completely blacked out for about 2 minutes (according to my friend) but I couldn't remember that even happening. Then 30 mins ago I felt like I just drifted off and then I woke up to my dog barking and whining and getting reallly agitated at me like something was wrong.
I have no idea if I'm just over reacting and the dog just really needed to take a piss or something :einstein:

:banana: lol this banana is just too much

Hi Nash.

Can you or your friend define exactly what happened to you today? My dog is always by me an if anything out of the ordinary would happen, she would get agitated, but not start barking. Dogs are very in tune.

I love beer, but maybe stay away from it for a bit. ;)

she says i just stared off into space and looked like i was mouthing something but I don't even remember doing this. I mean its not that unusual for me to drift off during English Literature but I generally remember it lol

That's how I found out I was having petit-mal seizures. AKA what we call complex partial seizures. Usually they will have a loss of consciousness and a repetitive motion such as your lips. Some complex partial seizures can progress into a tonic clonic seizure.

It sounds like time to talk to the neurologist, my friend. Give the doc the same description you gave me. You dog was probably trying to get your attention for on or another reason and was getting annoyed. If this has been happening, there is a good chance you've had no idea. If you drive, put the keys away.

Call the doc. Good luck.

I had my first tonic clonic seizure aged 18 after a late night & a few drinks. Alcohol was definitely my downfall with sleep coming a close 2nd. I had several more over the next few years as infrequently as 2 years apart and frequently as monthly. Becoming T-total & watching the amount of late nights I had (aged 25) meant I was medication, med & seizure free for nearly 9 years.

Dogs are great early warning signs to get somewhere safe, there are such things as epilepsy dogs, they sense the change in us.

Seizures can leave you with memory problems, confusion and grogginess for a longtime afterwards, sometimes months. By letting yourself have more seizures you do risk making this worse (kindling effect).

You need to keep a diary of when you think these events are happening, how you feel etc. It took me 5-6years to admit it was a problem (I kept my seizures secret so it was like they weren't happening) and I wish I'd owned up to it sooner. Well done for coming on here and being brave enough to talk about it.

My epilepsy is idiopathic (all scans are clear, no lesions / tumours etc) just some 'noteworthy' electrical activity on my EEG but nothing concrete.

I hope things improve.

Back
Top Bottom