Help on the quest for employment

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I know the job topic has been answered on here a few times, but I still can't find a reasonable, suitable job with my type of epilepsy.

I have had epilepsy since I was 3 years old. I have complex partial seizures that interrupt me almost every day.

My seizures make it particularly difficult for me to find a job because My hand twitches a lot (precursor to a seizure) but not always a breakthrough seizure.
Other times I may have a full blown seizure, they come in bunches and tire me out and still leave my hand twitching.

Point being: what is a reasonable, suitable job for me that I could perform effectively?

When my hand isn't twitching I prefer to relax obviously, but most days my epilepsy is interfering.

I don't mind physical work but if I overly exert myself I can have an episode. I don't mind intellectual work (in fact I love it).
I've been independently employed for a couple of years trying to make a buck on-line, but I've never been too successful. (mostly because my epilepsy won't let me type on my PC (hence little success).
I'm very good with computers, though.

I'd take any job at this point.

Suggestions or opinions are plenty welcome.

Thanks,
Harrison

Have you tried applying for SSI (Social Security Income)? I did years back, I think it was in 2003 and was denied. The judge felt as though I could easily find a job that was suitable for me, like being a receptionist, something for behind the desk duties. I know how hard it is to find something when you have Epilepsy. In August, all of our children will be going to school full time and Im in the process of trying to find something for me during the weekdays.

I'm currently on SSI. That only provides me with about 500.00 a month, though. I'm not complaining, but I'd love to have my own job.

I was looking for this site a while back and could never find it. Hopefully it can help me get a job.

Back
Top Bottom