help with third day of simple partial seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

josh_ozzy

New
Reaction score
Hello, I'm new here and I guess I signed up cause Ive never really talked to anyone else who has had E besides me before. And I always really wanted to. You can kind of explain the experience but unless you have it you wont ever know whats it like. (i just love when my mom tells that I to just snap myself out of it), but anyways Ive been dealing with dejavu, smells tastes dizziness, upset stomach, mood swings, chronic headaches and can't stop smacking my tongue and horrible balance for days now and its only seems to be getting worse. I don't want to have a grand mal and end up in hospital. This is day 3 and I just dont know what to do anymore. I appreciate any answers you give. Thanks to all for making this site. It means alot!

Hi Josh and welcome,

Sorry to hear you're experiencing seizures that don't want to go away. Are you seeing an epileptologist at a university hospital? IMO, it sounds like that is what you need, if not already receiving. Because it isn't going to stop unless it is treated accordingly. I read your profile and I'm sorry you had a TBI. You are the same age as my son, so my heart does go out to you. Your mother needs to "SNAP OUT OF IT" and educate herself about TBI's and epilepsy/seizures.

Show her this site:
http://www.epilepsy.com/learn/impact/moods-and-behavior/mood-and-behavior-

Hang in there!

Oh Im actually seeing one of the best voted neurologist in the States but we still havent been able to fully control them. My mom is a kind and caring person whose been with me through everything and I think she is just trying to lift my spirts cause they are really getting me down. three days of this would get anyone down. Thanks so much for the write back Cint means alot.

I guess i was wondering if there was anything around the house I could do to make myself feel better?

With time I not saying you get used to them but you try live in symbiosis you have to or it will get you down.Yes I have and had all the auras you have for many years to point want throw all pills away go to docs don't go it still confuse me but you have to cut a life out for yourself.The panic deja vu smell it really horrible but it won't kill you and with right treatment you can and will live full happy life.i can see where your mum coming from her way positive imput maybe both you and her need correct counciling to handle situation

Having A Family Member Misunderstand Your Condotion

josh ozzy,

I know the feeling that you are having each time your mother tells you to'snap out of it'. I had a mother(only biologically, named IT) who refused to believe that E even existed. It is very hard to believe that some people can be that hard-headed and not accept reality. I guess the problem is such a powerful feeling of denial that their child could have a condition such as E. I know IT refused to accept that any child IT had could ever have a condition that would embarrass IT(in IT's mind)! Therefore I was 'damaged beyond repair' as far as IT was concerned.
You will find many people who are members of CWE who will try to help as much as they can and you need to keep a positive outlook on your condition so that you can get the results that WILL help you! I know that there are many, many things about E that can cause depression because I have had a sever case of depression that I was able to pull myself out of by using the help that is available, if a person is willing to look for help, ask for help and accept that help! :ponder:

WELCOME TO CWE josh ozzy,
acshuman

Hi Josh, welcome to CWE.
Sorry you have been having lot's of seizures. I too have had many simple partial seizures over the years featuring deja vu, smells, tastes, nausea, headaches, dizziness, mood swings (etc) and like you my TLE came from a TBI.

For me, only getting better control of the seizures ever helped with the symptoms.

Hi josh ozzy,

Welcome to CWE! Just like you I have 2-3 days where I will have clusters of simple partial and absence or complex partial seizures. My Epileptologist told me it was all do to hormones changing in the body that cause that for most people. I get a nervous feeling in my stomach, see colors in my eyes, and sometimes hear one word repeated over and over. One thing a neuro taught me yrs. ago back in the 1970's was to tighten up all the muscles in my body and make my hands into tight fist the moment that began and if I did it quick enough it would stop the seizure and take my word it has stopped many seizures. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Ashuman no one on gods good earth could have mother like mine but yours doing good impression.my mother would hit me swear tell me I hysterical and she was trained run

Just like you I have 2-3 days where I will have clusters of simple partial and absence or complex partial seizures.
My Epileptologist told me it was all do to hormones changing in the body that cause that for most people.

:ponder: My Epileptologist has never told me that and she used to be on the board of the National Epilepsy Foundation. Some folks have seizures due to brain tumors, meningitis, head injuries, etc.

Porkette said:
One thing a neuro taught me yrs. ago back in the 1970's was to tighten up all the muscles in my body and make my hands into tight fist the moment that began and if I did it quick enough it would stop the seizure and take my word it has stopped many seizures.

Sounds like something out of the dark ages. How does doing this stop seizures? Why are you still having two-three CP seizures a day?

No, no computer, im on my xbox one. The head injury was a assult and it happend at work so Im on disability. Thanks for all info. my Dr wants me to go get blood lvls checked tomorrow to see whats going on so I should know more by then. Thanks for everything. Im just happy no grand mals yet. (I get really bad headaches afterwards), one more question does anyone get sick to their stomach? I cannot eat right now, im gagging on everything. its so bad. well thanks again. means alot to be able to speak to some people who have also had to live with this. Happy Holidays Everyone

Hi Josh - I also have long clusters of simple partial seizures. My doctor prescribed me sublingual lorazepam to take as needed for when the seizures go on too long. She said to be careful because it can be very addictive. I take it anywhere from 2 times a month to 3 times a week depending on how I am doing with the seizures. It averages out to about 7 pills a month. The lorazepam doesn't always stop the seizures completely, but it helps A LOT when I need it. you could maybe consider asking your doctor about a rescue medication such as lorazepam.

One thing a neuro taught me yrs. ago back in the 1970's was to tighten up all the muscles in my body and make my hands into tight fist the moment that began and if I did it quick enough it would stop the seizure and take my word it has stopped many seizures.

Sue

Sounds like something out of the dark ages. How does doing this stop seizures? Why are you still having two-three CP seizures a day?

My neurologist has also said that there are ways for some people to stop a seizure from progressing. I find that pressure on my body helps with mine sometimes.

one more question does anyone get sick to their stomach? IEveryone

Yes, I have some stomach problems going on too and mentioned it to my doctor. She said she doesn't know if it is a new part of my seizures or not, but that an EEG might help get some more information. Best of luck at your appointment tomorrow.

Hi josh ozzy,

I used to get seizures in clusters that would last for several days. I could have up to 20 complex partials in one day. My aura is intense fear and it would continue all day long throughout those few days. I felt like I was a different person. Thanks to surgery I no longer have complex partials. I still experience auras, though, but a lot less. I find that listening to music can help put me in a better state of mind.

Last edited:
Hey josh_ozzy, welcome!

Aside from finding a way to get better seizure control, you might want to look into getting a pet. Doesn't have to be a trained companion animal, any loving pet will do. Won't stop the seizures, but can make you feel a bit better during and after. :)

The more your family goes with you to the neuro with you the better because they'll learn more. They can be told actual things like "He's not just going to 'Snap out of it!". At times they are able to ask questions and answer ones that the neuro asks because you may not know what you are doing during a seizure.

I guess i was wondering if there was anything around the house I could do to make myself feel better?

I like doing word games - cross word puzzles, word searches and those types of things. You can get books that have all sorts of ones in them, they seem to make time pass quicker. You could read books and if there is anyone who would like to read the same book as you are it's fun to talk about them. I don't know if there are any sort of crafts that you like to do or would like to try. I've drawn things, not very good at it, but when something turns out like I want it to it's great!

As Nakamova said pets are wonderful. I have two cats and they are one of the best things in the world that I've ever gotten!

CWE is great too because people just don't talk about epilepsy and seizures on here.

Hey josh_ozzy, welcome!

Aside from finding a way to get better seizure control, you might want to look into getting a pet. Doesn't have to be a trained companion animal, any loving pet will do. Won't stop the seizures, but can make you feel a bit better during and after. :)

I am going to second this idea. My dogs were always a wonderful comfort (actually, my seizures got worse when they passed away, sadly). But yes, they are an amazing help, in my experience.

Regardless, welcome. I am new here myself, and everyone has been so warm and welcoming, and I'm starting to feel less unsure of myself and more at home. I have somewhere where I don't feel "it's not just me" or "not all in my head" (ironically lol).

I actually had a family member tell me one time that "a patient can control their seizures". I replied that the day he could show the medical community that on/off switch he'd become the richest man in the world.

Back
Top Bottom