HERO Stories

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

My heroes are everyone who either has a disorder, like E, or a disease that is incurable. The doctors and nurses that go out of their way to make a patient or caregiver feel important. And all the people here who are willing to share their stories and pour their hearts and lives out to total strangers.

I have a few people in my life that I class as heroes and I will just say a few brief words about them

No.1 is my Uncle he is always there to drive me about whether it is too work, the shops, to see my family, across the UK, or across a different country, he has been my travel partner for 12 years and he is willing to do some of the crazy stupid things that I take part in. He also checks to make sure that I have taken my meds morning and night. It is thanks to him that I get to live a relatively normal life where the restrictions of E do not hold me back form doing the things I love.

No.2 is a little Geordie lad that I briefly went out with last year, his reaction was great when I told him that I was epileptic, there was me cacking myself about spilling about the big E and he replied "is that it", he said he couldn't believe I was epileptic coz of all the things I have achieved which made me feel real good about myself. He took me for a spin on his motorbike, which is just about the best thing anyone could have done for me. He was the one that suggested that I chat to other epileptics, so here I am.

No.3 is my Boss, as well as my Boss she is my mentor and also my best friend, I told her about my epilepsy coz I had too, but it ended up being a really good move, apart from hero no.2 she is the only other person that I will talk about my E with, I use her as a sounding post when I am trying to decide what to do about my meds or on days when I am having a lot of seizures, she is used to me blipping out every hour and never comments, she offers a lot of encouragement and support and is always there to pick me up on a down day!!!

No.4 my parents, they noticed me having seizures at a young age and took me to see a neurologist. After I was diagnosed they never had any interest in my E, they acted like it didn't exist, in some ways that might have been a good thing, coz it meant that I wasn't wrapped up in cotton wool and was able to just 'get on with it' in the other hand, it meant that they weren't checking I was taking my meds and protecting me from the dangers all around. Even though they didn't really bother about my E they are good parents in every other aspect, I never wanted for anything, they fed my need to travel (I travelled with them at a young age) they always offered me encouragement with my schooling and they are still there at the sidelines of my life pushing me forward in my career, if I need anything they are still there for me and I normally sting them up for a few bucks here and there :eek:) (but thats what they're for, right???)

I know that its probably cheating having more then one hero, but these are the people that have had the biggest impact on my life regarding E

My number one hero is my uncle. He's 91 and as sharp as a whip! He's a writer like myself. Because of the years difference I wasn't sure if he'd understant that epileptics needed to be burned underneath the stake! All he said to me was "Your in good company". Dosteovsky had Epilepsy. I'm going to visit him this October and know that I'll be welcomed with warm accepting hands. Always - Cinnabar

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
My kids and I might not be here today if it weren't for our hero. He's a truck driver by the name of Andy Rivas. My second ever seizure happened while I was driving home one day, after having picked up my son from school (I hadn't been diagnosed yet). All I know about it I've been told after the fact, but apparently I started swerving all over the road and driving "like a drunk" (I was having a complex partial). There was a guy sitting on my tail in a truck. He could see in through the back window of my car and noticed I had 2 young kids in the back and at first thought I was drunk, but then had second thoughts because of the kids and that it was 3.30 in the afternoon. He followed me for a couple of minutes, watching me hit the kerb and swerve all over the place. I actually stopped at a red light and he jumped out of his truck and ran down to my car and tried to talk to me through my window. I "looked right through him" and when the light turned green, I tried to take off.
He didn't think twice.
He jumped on the side-step of my car, yanked open the door (while I'm driving off!!) cut the ignition and steered my car to the side of the road. I then launched into a tonic clonic.
He went and sat in the passenger seat and dug through my bag to find my mobile and called an ambulance and the first number in my phone - a friend of mine called Brett (I now have my husband's number listed first, just in case that happens again lol). He stayed with me, and next thing I know I'm coming to with a total stranger in my car, my friend Brett pulling up and an ambulance behind my car.
Had it not been for Andy behind me that day, and having the sense to realise something was not right, and most importantly, having the guts to do something about it, I have no doubt I'd have crashed that day and it doesn't even warrant thinking about what could have happened, especially to my kids.
That's my hero - a truckie :adore:

My kids and I might not be here today if it weren't for our hero. He's a truck driver by the name of Andy Rivas. My second ever seizure happened while I was driving home one day, after having picked up my son from school (I hadn't been diagnosed yet). All I know about it I've been told after the fact, but apparently I started swerving all over the road and driving "like a drunk" (I was having a complex partial). There was a guy sitting on my tail in a truck. He could see in through the back window of my car and noticed I had 2 young kids in the back and at first thought I was drunk, but then had second thoughts because of the kids and that it was 3.30 in the afternoon. He followed me for a couple of minutes, watching me hit the kerb and swerve all over the place. I actually stopped at a red light and he jumped out of his truck and ran down to my car and tried to talk to me through my window. I "looked right through him" and when the light turned green, I tried to take off.
He didn't think twice.
He jumped on the side-step of my car, yanked open the door (while I'm driving off!!) cut the ignition and steered my car to the side of the road. I then launched into a tonic clonic.
He went and sat in the passenger seat and dug through my bag to find my mobile and called an ambulance and the first number in my phone - a friend of mine called Brett (I now have my husband's number listed first, just in case that happens again lol). He stayed with me, and next thing I know I'm coming to with a total stranger in my car, my friend Brett pulling up and an ambulance behind my car.
Had it not been for Andy behind me that day, and having the sense to realise something was not right, and most importantly, having the guts to do something about it, I have no doubt I'd have crashed that day and it doesn't even warrant thinking about what could have happened, especially to my kids.
That's my hero - a truckie :adore:

Very cool story

:clap:

Thanks to Andy Rivas and all those like him in our world.

:clap:

My brother was a truck driver for many years. He's the kind of fellow who's slow to react. He has the "heart" of your Andy Rivas. But that's not enough when you need an Angel, strong of mind, "spirit" and body. I'ts also so very rare reading such a touching and unusual story. The kind of stuff good, true stories are made of. Thank you for sharing this story and giving us hope that there might be more "Andys" out there!
Always Laurie

My hero (or one of them) is the lady whose name I can't remember...The last thing I remember is starting to cross the road holding my 4 yr old son's hand. I apparently had a CP and she helped my son and I get across the road, whereupon I promptly went into the worst seizure I've had which resulted in a todd's paralysis. This woman stood and made sure I was fine and watched my son for me, and helped me to the doctor's surgery when I wouldn't let her call an ambulance ( I WAS post-ictal, and hadn't at that point realised how bad that seizure had been). She may not have even told me her name, but I would like to thank her, as my son and I could have been run over without her help.

My Granny who loved butterflies!

In the last couple of weeks while I started thinking about people who inspired me the most. My granny was the greatest woman on earth. Not because grandmothers are supposed to be nice and loving. We had a special bond from the day I was adopted in 1978. She took care of me so much since my parents worked late. We would laugh together and talk all day. I basically grew up at her house. Even when I had seizures she was there for me! She inspired me by showing me that love comes in all forms and you don't have to be blood related. Her favorite thing was butterflies because how they are in a cocoon of sorts and then blossom out into a beatiful colorful butterfly. And sometimes I think that's what we are just waiting for is to blossom out into something beatiful in life. There are so many words to describe my granny but to me she is a beatiful butterfly!

P.S. I MISS HER

DAVID HAIR

Last edited:
Really, not clouded thinking...

My hero (or one of them) is the lady whose name I can't remember...The last thing I remember is starting to cross the road holding my 4 yr old son's hand. I apparently had a CP and she helped my son and I get across the road, whereupon I promptly went into the worst seizure I've had which resulted in a todd's paralysis. This woman stood and made sure I was fine and watched my son for me, and helped me to the doctor's surgery when I wouldn't let her call an ambulance ( I WAS post-ictal, and hadn't at that point realised how bad that seizure had been). She may not have even told me her name, but I would like to thank her, as my son and I could have been run over without her help.
I'm not particularly religious but am a very spiritual person and believe in angels, in the pure sense of the word. Fifty Three years of coming close to accidental deaths or serious injuries it seemed I'd been lifted above the circumstances. This has been a constant throughout my life. It's a miricale I'm alive. And I can only attribute it to my "winged my crew". People my Heros? So slight the help but I have to be greatful for the "slight". My home life is the story stuffed with demons. Perhaps, when you learn to be untrusting you keep yourself at bay from "people" who could have been your "real life heros". So, I've been in safe company with angels and that's not a bad place to be for now. Laurie

PS My 91 year uncle is my one and only human hero and he's been known to say and quite often, "Laurie, you must have had a hell of alot of angels around you all your life!

Last edited:
My Best Friend

When I was in high school I met one of the nicest guy's on earth! He was a blonde headed long haired guy at the time who was in boy scouts like me. In fact he remembered me from summer camp. So one day he came up to me in the lunch room and as we started talking we found out we had a lot in common. He and I only lived a block from each other so we saw each other alot. His name is Bennett Poitevint we were both eagle scouts in boyscouts just different troops. He helped me with anything he could. One day he asked me about the church I went to and he started going with me and ever since he has changed his personal life cut his hair to a shorter style, started listening to christian music and did a complete 360 and is now a faithful and loving christian man. Bennett and I became best friends instantly, after high school we went to the same jr. college and a year later we moved into our first apartment together. We have both experience similiar circumstances. He has always been there for me when I've had sz.s and been in the hospital emergency rooms. He's helped me anytime I needed a friend especially when my sister died and when I had brain surgery. Just like in 2003 when he was diagnosed with a brain tumor on the right side of the brain and he is still here! We are roommates again and he has helped me since my sz.s had come back he has done everything for me with no questions asked! I thank God that he kept him around ! I don't know what I would do without him he is the greatest. God bless Him!!! And he sure is agreat chef!

David Hair:adore::adore::clap::clap:

P.S. Bennett is the reason I am still here and alive!

Last edited:
David - Sounds like a best room mate any one could ask for! Always Cinnabar

Last edited by a moderator:
David

:shake: Please shake Bennett's hand for me. His actions are the true signs of manhood. :shake:

David

Please THANK Bennett for me. We wouldn't have the pleasure of your company and your wisdom and advocacy if it weren't for him......

(((HUGS)))

Meetz

Buckeye - I think that woud be great to start a Heros Thread. I don't know how you'd go about it but if Bernard needs to see a poll, count me in as plus! Laurie

Back
Top Bottom