Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

cglamis

New
Reaction score
Hi my name is Courtney I'm in my early 20's. I'm new to this site. I have a small learning disability which affects my reading, writing and math. My seizure are absence, simple and complex partial and they started about a year ago so still new to this. It happened when I was at my aunts house it was a hot day and the night before I did not get a good night sleep some of my cousins built a fort of hay and they all wanted to sleep in it that night there is a total of 14 of us so we did a buddy situation but only one of my girl cousins wanted to sleep out it the fort of hay and none of the other girl cousins wanted to join her so as the oldest I ended up sleeping out their with her. Some how I made it woke up a lot it was a nice night looking up at the stars. So that day following that night I had a seizure (but we didn't know at that time) I don't remember much but my mom told me that I called out for her and was moving my arms up and down and staring but answering her questions. Then one the way home in our RV I had another on but only one arm was moving up and down I was playing my favorite computer game Sims 3. So my mom made an appointment with my neurologist and we scheduled an EEG no seizure activity but she started me on Lamotringine which has been working pretty good but we tried to up it to 150 mg and I got headache every day this is only my first medicine for epilepsy now I just started on Carbamazepine ER and slowly going off Lamotringine. My mom side of the family knows and my close friends know. My family some of my cousins that are really smart know about my seizures some of them don't because they are still a little to young. Only some of my friends know but I'm not really sure if they believe me but we are still really good friends. It was already really hard for me to find a job and now with this it is even harder.

Before we found out about this my Junior year of high school I had bad headaches and put through a lot of tests, CAT scans, MRI's and a spinal tap which I was at the hospital for. I could do much after like I wasn't able to go to a friends surprise going away party or finish a final for my dance class but the teacher was great and had me write what it was like it the hospital. I had to take a rolling back pack with me to school. Oh... and after all those tests everything was fine.

I've also had other things like eye pain in my left eye and heaviness in left arm. So I'm just glad that after having all those other test that I finally have a diagnoses. I still get headaches pretty often.

I'm thinking of telling someone who is kind of a friend we talk mostly online I've only seen him once in person when his group of friends an mine went to a midnight showing together. I'm just not really sure if I should... but if I do how should I.... :ponder:

Thanks for reading,

Courtney

Hi Courtney! I too have seizures like you but mine are nocturnal. I too started on Lamotringe but changed to Tegretol (carbamazepine). I now take Pregabalin and clonazepam too. You will find this site friendly - many interesting people with lots of info and experience.
:)

cglamis

First let me say welcome you picked a good place. About telling your friend, there is only one way and that is to tell them but only if you want, there is one thing you should be aware of. When you tell someone you have epilepsy be prepared because you do not know how they will react, people know very little about epilepsy and people are afraid of what they do not know so you may not get the reaction you want or expect. There is a certain taboo associated with epilepsy.

Back
Top Bottom