Historical Overview of Epilepsy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I found this very interesting reading. Historical figures such as Julius Ceasar and Czar Peter had epilepsy, the Great of Russia and St Valentine was the Patron Saint of people with epilepsy since Medievil times.

Also says that people with Epilepsy were thought to be affected with the phases of the moon and in 19th century, they were treated in asylums and treated as outcasts and punished. The first effective anti-seizure drug was created in 1857 in London. Here's the link.

http://www.allcountries.org/health/epilepsy_historical_overview.html

Last edited:
Not going to lye, I have found correlation with my seizures during full moons.

I know I hear about lot more criminal activity and physical illnesses during a full moon than any other time.

I've also read that in earlier times, people with epilepsy were thought to be possessed by evil spirits and exorcisms were performed to try and rid the body of the evil spirit. Funny how things change.

:ponder::ponder:i may have to pay more attention to the moon . . .
Let's test this theory! :ponder:

I know I hear about lot more criminal activity and physical illnesses during a full moon than any other time.

Yes i have heard that as well,im sure i read an article saying there were more assaults (etc) during a full moon.The moon controls tides,so god only knows what it does to the human brain during its phase.

Facts & Myths about Epilepsy

"The Greek physician Hippocrates wrote the first book on epilepsy, titled On the Sacred Disease, around 400 BC. Hippocrates recognized that epilepsy was a brain disorder, and he spoke out against the ideas that seizures were a curse from the gods and that people with epilepsy held the power of prophecy. Sadly, false ideas die slowly, and for centuries epilepsy was considered a curse of the gods, or worse. For example, a 1494 handbook on witch-hunting, Malleus Maleficarum, written by two Dominican friars, said that one of the ways of identifying a witch was by the presence of seizures. This book guided a wave of persecution and torture, which caused the deaths of up to 100,000 women thought to be witches. "

http://www.epilepsy.com/101/ep101_facts

It's interesting how far back this goes and what the beliefs were in the beginning to now. And also how many people to this day still don't understand epilepsy and are literally afraid of what they don't know.

In this world, we tend to lash out at what we are afraid of or think the worst of what we don't know about. For those who are directly affected by epilepsy or anything else, we know what it's doing to us but no matter how much technology we have and more understanding, it's still a mystery as to why people have it. For if we knew the source, we might find a cure but for now at least we have the knowledge and technology to treat it. I can't imagine what those people went through in the early 19th century and back.

Back
Top Bottom