How does one find a doc specializing in frontal lobe epilepsy?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Mcrcsr

New
Reaction score
Negative EEGs do NOT rule out epilepsy. Certain kinds of epilepsy, especially frontal lobe epilepsy can be especially difficult to diagnose. You need to find a new, better neurologist.

How would folks suggest finding a neurologist specializing in frontal lobe seizures?

First look for an epileptologist (that is, a neurologist that specializes in epilepsy). And from there, your best bet is probably a large urban epilepsy center or university center that has seen many patients. You could also ask your current neurologist for a referral to one who has treated folks with FLE.

My neuro referred me to an epileptologist at an epilepsy center. Made a world of difference.

Go to a neurologist/epileptologist who is affiliated to a University Hospital in a big city. I have Frontal Lobe Epilepsy since I was 13, and my doctor is just a neurologist not an epileptologist but she started me on medications even though my EEGs came normal. She also did a 3 day VEEG, in which she was able to find some abnormal waves. also, find a doctor who has at least 15 years experience. Experience is what counts when finding doctors, not the medical school they went to.

I agree -- an epileptologist at a teaching hospital. Our neurologist (who was very good, but a bit young and inexperienced) referred us to an epileptologist, and he is just fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom