I really need help identifying this!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

LizzyHere

New
Reaction score
Hi there!

My name is Lizzy and I'm 16 years old. My best friend has had epilepsy her whole life and I love her with all my heart. She is probably the strongest person I know <3

I am here with a question today.

I have a vlog on youtube and I was filming an episode today. When I went back through the footage to post it, I noticed there was about 5 seconds where I stopped talking and did weird things with my hands, but then it stopped and I went right back to talking. I don't remember this AT ALL.

I did some research and saw petit mal seizures look similar to "zoning out"

I had a brain trauma last year, if that is relevant. It wasn't horribly bad, but I had a lot of trouble with memory. I never had any seizures or anything like that, though.

last night I decided to film myself just doing normal things to see if it would happen again. Sure enough, it did while I was just on my computer.

Here is the video. It starts around 10 secs and last until 30 secs or so. My eyes are on the computer screen for the first 10 seconds, but then I'm just "gone" looking at nothing. I do some weird stuff with my mouth and itch myself, but I thought you don't really move during seizures... I'm really worried. Please tell me what you think it is!

The forum told me that I could not post a link because people have posted things that trigger seizures... That's really screwed up. If you can trust me, I promise that is just a video of me and I'm truly scared.

tumblr.com/post/78054243922

Last edited:
Hi Lizzy.

The link is broken, but for safety sake, if you're scared, see a doctor.
Fix the URL and I'll happily look at it.

Yeah, that link did work. Looks like a textbook complex partial seizure to me. Do you remember if you had any strange feelings before or after? Any other sensations? If you can take the video to your neurologist appointment it would be helpful. Let us know what happens!

Last edited:
The link didn't work for me, either, but it sure sounds like a complex partial seizure. They can look different in different people, but there are videos on youtube of people having complex partial seizures. Look some up and see what you think. Seeing a neurologist is probably a good idea, too. Let us know what you find out!
This new link should work
thestrugglingnovella-ist.tumblr.com/

Do you have ADHD or anything?

There are many things that can cause something like this. Best to play a game of elimination.

Even knowing some of the things to look for, we can't tell you what is going on. If you notice these episodes continuing or if you are worried, see a doctor anyway. They will be able to make a more educated decision.

Last edited:
Do you have ADHD or anything?

There are many things that can cause something like this. Best to play a game of elimination.

Even knowing some of the things to look for, we can't tell you what is going on. If you notice these episodes continuing or if you are worried, see a doctor anyway. They will be able to make a more educated decision.
No, I've never had any symptoms of add or adhd. Do you have anything else it could be? Thank you so much for helping me out with this!

Everyone "zones out" every once in a while and that's what makes a partial seizure so hard to spot. I see that you move your lips often, and at around 10 seconds that becomes exaggerated as your eyes move around.
Can this be a sign of a partial seizure? Yes, but there are many things that a doctor will have to look at to find out what is going on.
I think it is worth seeing a doctor about because at this time in your life, that can effect many aspects of the rest of your life.
It may be nothing, though.

Do you mind discussing your brain trauma? Have you ever had any other neurological problems? You say it has effected your memory. Any other problems?

Are you on any medications?

Of course. I sustained a traumatic brain injury while playing soccer (my head, a ball and a goal post = no fun) last fall. I had problems with behavioral stuff after that too. I'm a very passive, kind person but after the injury I was angry and depressed (normally if I'm injured I would be very positive and optimistic, so this was unlike me). After about 9 months, I was back to my usual self. I'm doing really well now with only a small amount of residual short term memory issues.

I'm on Lamictal and Zoloft at this point for the mood problems from the injury. I had a brain scan (SPECT) and it showed I had conflicting brain waves, sort of like seizure activity but chalked up to the mood issues, hence the lamictal. Hopefully I will start to come off them soon.

Hi Lizzy, I guess you read my post before I edited and changed it. In case you missed the edit, I said that the link did work and that it looks like a classic complex partial seizure. If you take the video to your neurologist appt. it would be helpful. Best of luck and keep us posted!

Hey there sorry to hear about your accident while playing soccer. That stinks. You said you don't remember it happening correct? so it could have been a complete loss of awareness. It may be a complex partial then. but you should see a doctor for sure to make sure. How much lamictal are you on? Once I got about 200mg a day it started making my seizures worse anyways. Zoloft can also have side effects similar to what you are experiencing. I took zoloft for 10 days and had a huge break through seizure after being seizure free for almost 3 years. Don't adjust any pills by yourself though. It good you were able to film it while it happend. That can help alot. Have you ever had an EEG before? They might ask you to do one just to check.
I wish you the best. Come back if you have any other questions =)
Cheers!

After some searching, I have found that Zoloft should not be given to patients with head trauma as it can cause seizures. I don't have anything but forum posts to back this up, but it is something to look into.

Thanks so much everyone!
No, I don't remember it. Apparently it happened again today. My friend was talking to me and I wouldn't respond to her. She said I was wringing my hands, is that a symptom? It was about 10 seconds and then I came to talking from the same point I left off from. yikes.

I'm going to talk to my parents about. Anybody have any ideas of telling them about this? They panic really easily... Oh, parental units, they care so much :)

Hi again Lizzy. People around us do tend to worry a lot about epilepsy, or seizure disorders, or whatever you want to call it, but it's mostly not really as bad as it seems. I would say that most of us here lead very normal, even high-functioning, lives. I know I do. You might want to show them this thread. Also, you can show them this message from me to them:

Hi Lizzy's parents, I'm 55 and have had epilepsy for at least 32 years and probably longer. Also, my 33-year-old daughter was diagnosed with it about 8 years ago. It's a very complicated and confusing disorder, and there is still a surprising amount that is not known about its origins and the best treatments for it. My advice to you is to get your daughter to an epileptologist (not just a regular neurologist) and get going with whatever it takes to get a good diagnosis and start on looking at treatment options. It will be kind of frustrating because epilepsy is hard to get a handle on, and it will take a while to find a combination of meds and/or nonpharmacological treatments to get your daughter's seizures under control. My best advice (having epilepsy myself and having a daughter with epilepsy) is not to get too freaked out by it. Take reasonable precautions, keep a seizure diary, get her to an epileptologist, follow the treatment guidelines, but don't wrap her up in cotton like she's going to break at any minute, because I'm pretty sure she's not going to. There are pretty good treatments out there and chances are that she will be able to be fairly well controlled. My daughter is virtually 100% seizure free on 300 mg per day of trileptal. I'm not even close to seizure free, and haven't been for these past 3 decades, or more, but I have a great life anyway. Feel free to send me a personal message if you have any questions. It will all be OK! Carry on!

Thank you all so much. Really, all of your help is heart warming. I'll bring you updates when I have them.

<3

Hello my name is Anita, I have had seizures since I was 17 caused by a really bad head trauma. to me it sounds as if you are having Petit mal seizures. I believe you should see a Neurologist and have an EEG done. Good luck & GOD bless you.

Hello my name is Anita,
I am 53 years old and have had seizures for the past 37 years due to a really bad accident.I have petit mal seizures and I can not find any medication to stop my seizures. I believe I am now suffering from hyperthyroidism. I am wondering if there is an association with my seizures and the thyroid problem?

Hi Lizzy, glad you found your way here. I think the video is suspicious and a good place to start. Bring it, and yourself, to a doctor who specializes in seizures. They will be able to sort out what is going on.

Hi Anita, try to find a neuroendocrinologist if you can. They specialize in hypothalmus/pituitary/adrenal disorders which is basically specialzing in any/all hormone imabalances/replacements. They also seem more knowledgable about the interactions between the hormones and seizures. The one I see also mentioned to me that some of the seizure medications change the way our bodies metabolize the hormone replacements so you may need more freuqent monitor/change if dosages change.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom