I really need help identifying this!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Hi Anita, and welcome. I think you would get more answers to your questions if you start your own thread in "the kitchen" and title it something like "questions about seizures and thyroid problems." You will find that there is a lot of knowledge here, and there are probably people who have some of the same issues as you, but they won't be so likely to find you if you're buried in a different thread. Just a suggestion.

PS, I don't really know anything about what you are asking or I would chip in my 2 cents. :)

Cheers!

I just want to add to this that yes, we have epilepsy and are thus (kind of) familiar with our own seizure symptoms, (for me, personally, I have no clue what I look like when I have a seizure other than a few things some others have told me). But all we know about is epilepsy, and then only seizures caused by it, not all the other other illnesses that can cause seizures, or can cause seizure-like symptoms, so even if we might say we suspect it's this or that sort of seizure, you do, as others have said, need to see a doctor. Trying to diagnose yourself on the internet is a really bad idea in my view.

Last edited:
But all we know about is epilepsy, and then only all the other other illnesses that can cause seizures, or can cause seizure-like symptoms, so even if we might say we suspect it's this or that sort of seizure, you do, as others have said, need to see a doctor. Trying to diagnose yourself on the internet is a really bad idea in my view.

Da troof. Lotsa possibilities.

Lizzy I am 59 years old and have had seizures similap to what you discribe since I was
9. Take your video to your doctor and insist he/she refer you to a neurologist an epileptologist, a neurologist who specializes in epilepsy; if you are lucky enough to have one near you.
You didn't ask; but you need to know this. There have been more people on here who have been told by their neurologist that their eeg, a test that records brain activity, is normal and that they do not have epilepsy, it's all in their head. If any doctor ever tells you that tell him, well you shouldn't say that. Your mom should. An eeg tells you what is happening right now, not one second before the test began or after it is finished. Unless you have a seizure while those wires are hooked to your head, it will read normal, like it should. Please show this to your mom. Unless you have a seizure during the eeg it will be normal. An eeg will NOT show that you had a seizure the night before or that you will have one when you get home. I am not a doctor, I am a gardener and even a doctor could not tell you much from what you have said, he needs to examin you. I don't think you need to do this now; but if you start having seizures more often and worst, you will know when. You may need to have a monitored eeg, do a search for monitored eeg and have your mom read what one is. I am going to say it again, an eeg can not tell the doctor you had a seizure or that you will have one. An eeg tells the doctor what is happening while they have all those wires stuck to your head.

It does look like a partial seizure. After the repetitive lip movements you wipe your nose with the back of your hand which is very common in patients after a partial seizure. Doctors have found that patients tend to wipe their nose with the same hand that the side the seizure starts on. I would definitely go see a neurologist, take care of yourself sweetie.

Also, Lizzie, it's been a week, wondering how you are doing? If you talked to your parents? Parents worry, it's what they do, but don't let worrying about that stop you from talking to them. They were probably told it was a possibility after the soccer accident and they just want what's best for you in the long run.

Hi there everyone!

I told my parents a couple days after opening the thread and they took me to my Pediatrician who then referred us to a neurologist that specializes in epilepsy. I'm scheduled to see her on Monday and have an EEG.

What do they do during an EEG? I know they attach the electrodes to your head, but do they do anything else? do you just sit there? do you walk around?

What do they do during an EEG? I know they attach the electrodes to your head, but do they do anything else? do you just sit there? do you walk around?

An EEg is an electroencephalography that records the electrical activity of your brain. There is an ambulatory EEG or a Video EEG. With the ambulatory EEG, they place the electrodes on your head and you're able to walk around. After the electrodes are placed on your head, you can go home for 48-72 hours while the brain waves are being monitored.
http://www.epilepsy.com/learn/diagnosis/eeg/ambulatory-eeg

The VEEG is done in the hospital under supervision so they can determine the type of seizures/epilepsy.
http://www.epilepsy.com/learn/diagnosis/eeg/video-eeg

Last edited:
Do you know how long the EEG is, Lizzy? I have had them from 1 hour to 72. Others here have had them go on much longer than myself.
They use a gel-like glue that will stick the metal electrodes to your scalp. It will tickle a little and maybe be kind of funny feeling, but that will last just a few minutes.
They may have you walk around, lay there, ask you to hyperventilate, flash a light at you, sleep, stay awake, etc.
They may video record you, they may not. I had one video EEG at the hospital for 23 hours and then one at home for 72 hours. The camera only ran at night.
When I was diagnosed at 16, I had the same symptoms as you, so I expect your experience will be similar to mine.
The results of the EEG will not tell you weather you are having seizures or not, but it will help the neurologist understand what is happening and he/she should be able to diagnose from there.
Let us know how it goes!

Hi there everyone!

I just wanted to let you know that I got two EEG's done and they did in fact show seizure activity :(

I've been started on new meds and being monitored closely by my parents. They're a little freaked out, but I think they'll be alright :)

Thank you EVERYONE again for being so helpful!

Back
Top Bottom