I'm getting kepset

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

You know...I take keppra and it works great for my seizures but it's tough for my emotions. I know none of us are Dr.s but just tell me, what did they replace it with when they took your keppra away?I mean, I have been on a lot of meds.

After reading many posts and my daughter's medical records, why is Keppra usually combined with another AED? I would think that 4000 mg. a day should take care of the seizures. Sometimes I think these pharmaceutical companies are the controlling factor in our medical care.

My daughter was not able to tolerate Keppra and my granddaughter had behavior problems on the high dose of Lamictal.

From what I have read, when Keppra was originally introduced, it was for use only as an adjunct to other AEDs. This is how I received it. It was added to my Phenytek (dilantin) and really knocked down the auras after awhile.

All the reading I did on Keppra supported this up until earlier this year when I found someone on CWE who was taking it alone. Additional reading revealed that they are using it by itself for certain types of seizures, but that for tonic-clonics it was still an adjunct.

So to answer your question, I think it depends on the type of seizures. You are right on the 4000 mg being really strong. I was lucky enough to be able to try to go down from 2000 mg to 1500. I can't imagine what 4000 would do to me.

Buckeye's

right. Keppra was introduced as an adjunct med. And, in general, most doctors shoot for MONOTHERAPY. That is, using only one drug. But, it also depends on the type of seizures, when they were diagnosed (childhood vs adulthood), weight, and several other things.

For example, in my case. I have tonic clonics. And I've gone through just about EVERY med possible. Right now, I'm on Carbatrol--for the seizures--400 mg morning and evening; AND I take Topamax--but it's intended use is for migraine control. It ALSO has a side effect of seizure control, but when you check my blood levels, it falls WAY below the therapeutic range. I'm ALSO on Clonazepam--and just started this about 6 weeks ago--to help with sleep. It also has the side effect of helping with myoclonic seizures (twitches, jerking).

Technically, my doctor lists me as being on MONOTHERAPY. But, that could be debatable, if you ask me.

What I'm shooting for here is to say that everyone's body is different. While my body may take a lower dosage of one medicine (Carbatrol), it may take a much higher dosage (it took 1500 mg of DEPAKOTE ER) of another drug to control the same type of seizure. We all react differently to different drugs. It would be NICE if we all had the same standard response...but NOOOOO, we're NOT going to get THAT LUCKY.

Also what my Dr. told me is that Keppra's mlgs compaired to others are very high. It is the way the drug is made. Like lorazapam, 1mlg it can knock you out. I am on 750 mlg pills of Keppra 2 am and 2 pm.But if you feel its to much get a blood level done. I did that with my son recently after it just did not seem right and he was toxic on topamax.

Dear Sharon

I have experienced Keppra exactly as you have so eloquently described your experiences. I feel that my introduction to Keppra was much too fast. I am unsure about folic acid and vitamin B supplements helping with the Keppra side effects.

Anyway Keppra has helped me on 1000 mg per day, no more seizures, it is great!!

Back
Top Bottom