Interesting info in Photosensitivity Seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

That is interesting information. Being photosensitive myself I find it difficult to find a lot of information on it so I was pleased to see this post.
I am going to see my neurologist on Monday and will have an EEG at that time. I am hoping that my photosensitivity will have decreased (it seems to have increased) but I have a number of questions that i'll need to have answered i'm sure.

Just the answer I was looking for

Hi I am new to this forum
I have been seizure-free for at least 10 years now.
I recently started to study art and have noticed that during my drawing classes, when I am fullly-emersed in a drawing I notice that I have a small absence. Probably nothing to worry about but it does scare me that this could trigger a seizure seeing as I haven't had one for such a long time.
The article mentions patterns are also triggers.
Thanks for this it really helps (I thought i was going mad)

Hi Isaza - WELCOME
You are definitely not going mad.
I don't know anything about absence seizures, but Bernard says that his wife was able to stop all absence seizures with neurofeedback. My daughter has made wonderful progress in the reduction of her Tonic Clonic seizures with neurofeedback.

Being an artist myself - perhaps there is a method that you can do, such as meditation prior to drawing. It might help to normalize the brain function so that you can concentrate. Or another idea, would be to take mini breaks and do something that is different with your vision, such as closing your eyes. It might release the strain.

Do keep a journal of the events, and you might notice that you are sleep deprived before these incidents... or thirsty... or ?

I just found a really interesting article regarding this as well.
I have noticed that these episodes generally tend to happen when I am doing a perspective drawing or something that has to be accurately measured.
this makes perfect sense!

"Seizures induced by thinking: Cognitive processes have been reported to induce seizures in susceptible persons. Initially described during the performance of mathematical calculations, the seizures also may be produced by processing spatial information or by other forms of decision making. Reflex seizures have been described as a result of playing chess or checkers, also likely due to the cognitive processes involved in playing these games."

"Seizures may be produced in some individuals by a reduction in light intensity (scotosensitive seizures) or by removal of visual fixation (fixation-off seizures). More complex visual stimuli, such as seeing particular objects, also may be a cause of reflex seizures."

Thanks for the tips. I will defs keep a journal and see what is the root of this. Hopefully it is not going to affect me much more than this as I would like to stay seizure free for now especially as I am starting to reduce my meds and my EEG was clear.

aparently I am not allowed to post links to the article I found because I am new. If you are interested in reading it and want the link, you are welcome to send me a private message

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom