Jett Travolta

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is a tradegy that the Travolta family has suffered. Unfortunately, there will be those who are going to say it was lack of meds, or the wrong kind of meds or whatever...the truth is we have lost those who were on meds and those who chose not to medicate for their own reasons. The loss is still a loss and will leave a huge hole in the hearts of the family. Blame or guilt will not fill that hole. I give my heartfelt condolences to the Travolta family and all the other families that have lost their loved one to E, yet another reason to live,love and laugh each day.:e:

It is a tradegy that the Travolta family has suffered. Unfortunately, there will be those who are going to say it was lack of meds, or the wrong kind of meds or whatever...the truth is we have lost those who were on meds and those who chose not to medicate for their own reasons. The loss is still a loss and will leave a huge hole in the hearts of the family. Blame or guilt will not fill that hole. I give my heartfelt condolences to the Travolta family and all the other families that have lost their loved one to E, yet another reason to live,love and laugh each day.:e:

:agree:

Autism says nothing about my child's autoimmune disease (anti-MBP), viral load (HHV-6, herpes zoester, measles), nor his mercury poisoning (per the porphyrin test). It is a disease process.

Scientology prohibits treating psychiatric disorders with psychiatric drugs. Autism is not a psychiatric disorder, nor is it well treated with psychiatric drugs. In fact with the diagnosis of Austism, you receive very little help from insurance companies.

Kelly Preston played a very active role in speaking out against toxins that she believes contributed to her son's condition. They did not leave their son untreated. The Travolta's loved him deeply and dearly, and did everything they thought was right for him.

We are doing what we feel is right for our children, despite public scorn (and ridicule of doctors). We want others to respect our personal choices for our children, so let us do the same and respect the choices of other parents.

Medical files are private... this child's diagnosis should be private.

We're now told the grand mal seizures Jett suffered were "frequent and extremely serious." Travolta's lawyers, Michael Ossi and Michael McDermott, tell us "each seizure was like a death," with Jett losing consciousness and convulsing.

We now know Jett was taking a drug called Depakote, a strong anti-seizure medication. There have been reports Travolta refused to give his son anti-seizure meds because of Scientology but those stories are not true.

Jett had been having seizures on an average of every four days, until he started taking Depakote. Ossi and McDermott say the drug initially worked, reducing the frequency to approximately once every three weeks.

Jett took Depakote for "several years," but it eventually lost its effectiveness, according to Ossi and McDermott. They say the Travoltas were concerned about possible physical damage. And, Jett went back to having around one seizure a week. So Travolta and Preston, after consulting neurosurgeons, stopped administering the drug. No one is suggesting withdrawal of the medicine in any way caused the fatal episode.

John Travolta's Son: Meds Ultimately Didn't Work

If all he tried was Depakote, isnt that kind of misleading? That meds didnt work? I hear many folks that are on a combination of meds. I think one large grand mal a week alot. I also read he didnt read or write at 16. I think more was going on that we know. I cant imagine the loss and am so sorry for them.

joan*

I do to, Bernard.
I am just going to quietly tell my story one person at a time. Hopefully they will tell one person, and so on.

Perhaps this will open the eyes of those that have been so unkind, and make them realize the struggles caretakers go through to keep their loved ones safe.

I also agree with Paradise...but I understand where the anger and frustration with the parents comes from. For those of us at sites like this, who have been educated about the condition, this seems like a needless tragedy with so many unanswered questions. Why did the depakote stop working? Was it due to the child going through puberty? Were other options for treatment even considered or investigated? And whereas while if the Travoltas were not celebrities we would allow them to grieve privately, because they are celebrities we as a nation do not. We think (as a nation) that it is our right to second guess the medical decisions that they made. They will have to live with the medical decisions that they made for the rest of their lives. And trust me, they are probably asking themselves if there was anything that they should have done differently. Grief is grief. No matter what religion you belong to, the bond between parent and child is stronger. All we can do is keep the Travoltas in our thoughts and prayers.

I also agree with Paradise...but I understand where the anger and frustration with the parents comes from. For those of us at sites like this, who have been educated about the condition, this seems like a needless tragedy with so many unanswered questions. Why did the depakote stop working? Was it due to the child going through puberty? Were other options for treatment even considered or investigated? And whereas while if the Travoltas were not celebrities we would allow them to grieve privately, because they are celebrities we as a nation do not. We think (as a nation) that it is our right to second guess the medical decisions that they made. They will have to live with the medical decisions that they made for the rest of their lives. And trust me, they are probably asking themselves if there was anythiesng that they should have done differently. Grief is grief. No matter what religion you belong to, the bond between parent and child is stronger. All we can do is keep the Travoltas in our thoughts and prayers.

:agree: Therefore, I won't state my opinions about one's religion or the medical treatment one chooses, etc. As a parent, I cannot imagine losing a child.

Unfortunately, since the Travolta's are celebrities, they aren't allowed to grieve privately. They'll have the paparazzi around them for weeks now.

Cindy

It is a terrible tragedy and their family should be kept in our prayers.

With that said, all of the media "guessing" and "estimating" is enlarged and fed by people's nosiness. The media is just going to feed the magazines, papers, tv, radio, etc. whatever they feel will sell the most of the devices and bring them the most money.

Rarely do the media get the whole story and many times just get it flat out wrong but because people already the original "diagnosis" embellished in their memory, all they do is "remember" the original "diagnosis" as being the truth....it rarely is. It is amazing what people find out after famous people have passed on. Many times the public comes to find out that what was deemed as the truth was nothing of the such.

Give the Travoltas a chance and do not believe everything that you read or see on the idiotbox.

There....I said my peace. :twocents:

Didn't we all think of how epilepsy could directly affect any one of us at any time as we read these stories or heard it on the media? It is obviously a very curious subject to millions of people.

Here's our chance. We are now part of the media. This website is our voice to be heard. What we say and do on here will be read by others. Thank you Bernard for giving us that chance to voice our opinions.

Travoltas are one of many families who lost their children to epilepsy. It is tragic. They are not alone in their loss. It is a sorrowful time for all of us who have lost friends, parents, children or others to epilepsy. The media will have a frenzy. Hopefully the Travoltas can help research move forward with their high profile.

Sudden Unexplained Death in Epilepsy is one aspect of this condition. The complexity of not driving, being stigmatized, treated differently and living with a constant thought of how we also adjust our self image can all be overwhelming at times. We have to remain calm to prevent seizures, but also constantly strive to fight the disorder and educate other people.

The world is watching this condition with close scrutiny right now.

Last edited:
Didn't we all think of how epilepsy could directly affect any one of us at any time as we read these stories or heard it on the media? It is obviously a very curious subject to millions of people.

Here's our chance. We are now part of the media. This website is our voice to be heard. What we say and do on here will be read by others. Thank you Bernard for giving us that chance to voice our opinions.

Travoltas are one of many families who lost their children to epilepsy. It is tragic. They are not alone in their loss. It is a sorrowful time for all of us who have lost friends, parents, children or others to epilepsy. The media will have a frenzy. Hopefully the Travoltas can help research move forward with their high profile.

Sudden Unexplained Death in Epilepsy is one aspect of this condition. The complexity of not driving, being stigmatized, treated differently and living with a constant thought of how we also adjust our self image can all be overwhelming at times. We have to remain calm to prevent seizures, but also constantly strive to fight the disorder and educate other people.

The world is watching this condition with close scrutiny right now.

:clap:
:agree:

Well, here is another thing to think about.....as was hinted to on this morning Today Show. This is something serious for all of us who, one way or another, are connected to someone who has seizures.

First, how many of us, who have or have had seizures, have someone watch us when we are taking a shower or bath? I am sure there are some but I am sure that most of us do not.

Now, here is the point, the Today Show, this morning, was implying that since the boy was not being watched, while he was bathing, that there may be a criminal act of negligence.

People have to realize that Hollywood, and the media, have a big influence, on the law, through pressure of public opinion, etc.

What if this insinuation takes hold? What if, someday, you, or your family member, friend, etc., have a seizure while bathing while you or someone else is there? Do you expect the other person who is there to be arrested on criminal charges? Think about it. What if someday you have a seizure while your wife/husband/mother/father, etc., etc. are somewhere else in the house and you get injured. You may not have to die but maybe get injured in some sort of way. Say you end up in the hospital just to find that the other person in the house, who you love very much, has been arrested and is in jail on criminal charges. Is it right? Honestly, with myself being the one who has had epilepsy all my life, would be raising caine like you would not believe and would be filing charges against whoever put my wife in jail....to the extremes!

I do admit that there people who do need to be carefully watched because of their condition but I would hazard a guess that most of us do not.

Give it some thought. I already see the ball rolling. The hints are getting stronger everyday, by the media. Time will tell. If I am wrong, glory hallelujah. If I am correct, look out because any of you could be in their sights....eventually.

Sometimes the truth hurts.

I also believe this is a fantastic opportunity. Please try to be informative, calm, concise, etc., etc. Many people have twisted ideas about epilepsy/seizures, and those who deal with it, in many bad ways and we need to point them to the facts and show them how deal with it.

More power to us and I truly hope that something good can come out of all of this. I pray everyday on this situation.

I have just started to note a disturbing thing, on alot of other forums/etc., and that is that most people believe that if he had been on medicine that he never would have had seizures, or at least they would have been fully controlled, in the first place.

Taking medicines is a first step but, by all means, not a complete cure. Many of us are taking medicine (or many medicines), for seizure control. Many of us, also, still have seizures despite that fact. We need to inform the public that taking medicines is a great first step but, it is just that, a first step and most of the time not a cure.

Last edited:
I have just started to note a disturbing thing, on alot of other forums/etc., and that is that most people believe that if he had been on medicine that he never would have had seizures, or at least they would have been fully controlled, in the first place.

Taking medicines is a first step but, by all means, not a complete cure. Many of us are taking medicine (or many medicines), for seizure control. Many of us, also, still have seizures despite that fact. We need to inform the public that taking medicines is a great first step but, it is just that, a first step and most of the time not a cure.

I am one of them who has tried many medications, had brain surgery, two VNS surgeries and still experience seizures, sometimes bad tonic/clonic seizures. So, NO, it isn't a cure! I'm trying to do my job to inform the public and have educated my children to do the same.

Cindy

What happened to Jett Travolta was sad. Hovever, this could have been prevented if he was taking medication for his seizures. His parents have a lot to come to terms with. They should have accepted medical advice for the betterment of their son. In this case, there should have been a doctor's order for Jett to be put on an AED. After being given a doctor's order, if his parents refused to put his health first and allow him to be on medication(s), further actions could have been taken. Jett's doctor could have obtained a legally binding court order for his parents to allow him to take medication(s). After all, the right to live a healthy life superceedes the right to religious expression.

&%*&$%&^ Dr. Werner Spitz is a contortionist with his head stuck in a dark place:
Natalie Finn and Ashley Fultz said:
In light of Monday's autopsy finding that Jett Travolta, the 16-year-old son of John Travolta and Kelly Preston, died of a seizure, a medical expert tells E! News that seizures can cause death, even when the person who suffers one is taking medication to manage them.

"You can die during a seizure because of some manifestations in the brain," says retired forensic pathologist and former Detroit-area medical examiner Dr. Werner Spitz.
"When you are convulsing, a person can bite down on their tongue and can also suffocate on their tongue from it rolling back and obstructing the airway," he said. "That's why they say it is a good idea to get a piece of cloth and catch the tongue and prevent that from happening."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/eonline/20090106/en_top_eo/77563

Wrong!

The story appears to have been updated to correct the misinformation:
EDITOR'S NOTE: The original version of this story included some inaccurate assertions by Spitz regarding seizures and suffocation. Those remarks have been removed.

http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b77563_medical_expert_on_jett_travolta.html

... Hovever, this could have been prevented if he was taking medication for his seizures.

People with epilepsy who are taking medication die from seizures too. False premise = false conclusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom