[MAD] Just started Modified Atkins Diet

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
So, about a week and a half ago I decided I would start on the modified atkins diet. I have been reading alot about ketogenic diets, and the atkins diet and decided to give it a try. I was warned that it was very hard to stick to, but so far I have had very few problems with it. It seems that as soon as I went ketogenic I have had a decrease in seizure intensity, hopefully it is true and not just in my head. I have also had fewer seizures over this past week, only 1 simple partial as compared to 2 complex partials a week. Seems to be a massive improvement to me.

Has anyone else ever had any luck with this as an adjunct therapy? I would really like to know and find out more info if possible as from what I have been able to find, books on ketogenic diets are outrageously priced, some as high as 140 dollars. I own a couple of Atkins books though and they have some info even about the modified atkins diet.

Hi Sleeper, seizure reduction in the first weeks of the MAD is a very good sign the diet works for you.
My son is succesfully on the classical ketogenic diet (ratio 4:1) for 6.5 years now, resulting in a significant 90% seizure reduction and a 70% improved EEG.
You can find lots of info about KD and MOD on www.matthewsfriends.org , I do recommend their members forum.

Last edited:
Hi s10sleeper, good for you for starting the diet! Please keep us posted and let us know how you are feeling and if it makes a difference in your seizure control.

Awesome! Love it when people find something that works (even partially) for themselves.

My wife is using a pseudo-LGIT diet to help keep her seizure threshold up. It makes a big difference! You'll be able to see that for yourself more conclusively after you have been strict with your diet for a while and then "cheat".

There is a Yahoo Group specifcially for people using MAD for seizure control. Check it out.

It is my belief that nutrition is going to help many gain control over a variety of medical issues.

First is to believe
Second is to take action
Third is to stay focused

With the theory behind the Atkins diet and that we may be consuming too many carbs, it makes sense. The US is big on high carb foods and look at how many people have diabetes. It really makes alot of sense to be burning off fat constantly as there are not the ups and downs in energy like with carbs. I know that my energy levels have been very high with it, so I'm sure it probably would fix alot of problems.

It are not the carbs that are causing seizures, but the ketones produced when burning fats instead of carbs while using a ketogenic, (modified) Atkins, LIGIT diet (or fasting) that stop or reduce seizures for some people with E.

Last edited:
Thats true, but it seems that for different reasons it has benefits for different health issues.

I'm interested in the diet. Were you able to purchase the book online or did you have to download the e'book?

I downloaded the ebooks on amazon, however they are also available to be ordered as regular books and I also purchased a couple of books at the bookstore. I have since stopped the atkins diet myself, as once I got back into working I haven't had the time to fix the meals, plus I always have the bad habit of starting something and not following through permanently. Guess that is just my ADHD kicking in though.

I haven't looked at it but I will download today. We live in a smaller town and do not have any bookstores.

Were you on it long enough to determine if it helped control your seizures?

I think that it helped some, as after stopping it I have had a couple of seizures while awake but while on it I didn't have any except in my sleep.

I think there is a good example of anecdotal evidence.

Perhaps if you can work on (ex.) blood sugar levels, you just might see yourself make it through the night. There also is the idea that kindling might be a part of this scenario. You might consider doing some brain training (neurofeedback) in help with this. IMO

Most of my seizures have been at night which leads me to believe blood sugar has a lot to do with it. My last seizure was during the day but I was in a hurry and had not eaten lunch. I shall pick up the MAD book and "give it a go":)

Back
Top Bottom