Just to say hiiiii :) newbie here

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

holly

Stop saying sorry there is no problem and I understand, if you did not freak over everything possible and impossible you would not be normal. I do it as well and yes they are the best people here and they have helped me a lot also and been there as well, what more can one ask for, so those billion questions you might want to get a head start. Now have a coffey for yourself, I am.

holly

Stop saying sorry there is no problem and I understand, if you did not freak over everything possible and impossible you would not be normal. I do it as well and yes they are the best people here and they have helped me a lot also and been there as well, what more can one ask for, so those billion questions you might want to get a head start. Now have a coffey for yourself, I am.

I keep forgetting I have one and when I suddenly think OHHH COFFEEE its cold ugh! but im going to join you and have a coffee.... I do have a question does typing or using the computer make anyone feel nauseous/dizzy, since I had those suspected seizures the other day every time I type the eye flicking for the right keys to hit and glancing back and forth between the screen and keys seems to be making me like spin like I cant focus ?!?! its really weird and the same if im looking/walking around the house ..... odd feeling

I know there are hundreds of different types and i also know i may not ever experience a "tonic clonic" but from my understanding and please feel free to correct me if i am wrong, the sensation i am feeling is also a warning of seizure and many people experience this before a "TC" I am scared and am looking for advice support and just a friendly environment to have my questions answered as im new to this and im trying to get my head around all of this!

Not to freak you out, but I wanted to tell you that you are right. Any type of seizure has the potential to turn into a Tonic clonic seizure. An "aura" is actually a simple-partial seizure. Many times people get them right before they have a tonic clonic. I had always had simple partial seizures, and then they kept getting more intense and more frequent, and then one night one secondarily generalized into a tonic clonic. It was so scary because I remember more than I would if I had just been hit by a TC. Because I went through the process of a simple partial turning into a tonic clonic. So others here are right when they say to get to a safe place when you feel this way. There's always the potential for any type of seizure to generalize.

Last edited:
Not to freak you out, but I wanted to tell you that you are right. Any type of seizure has the potential to turn into a Tonic clonic seizure. An "aura" is actually a simple-partial seizure. Many times people get them right before they have a tonic clonic. I had always had simple partial seizures, and then they kept getting more intense and more frequent, and then one night one secondarily generalized into a tonic clonic. It was so scary because I remember more than I would if I had just been hit by a TC. Because I went through the process of a simple partial turning into a tonic clonic. So others here are right when they say to get to a safe place when you feel this way. There's always the potential for any type of seizure to generalize.

that was my fear, before I "knew" this could have the potential to be epilepsy my Auras have and still remain enough for me to know I need to get on the floor I feel that if I don't I will infact fall face first into whatever is around me ..... thank you so much for your reply and confirming this for me ..... Dr's office visit needs to be here like tomorrow haha!

holly

Sorry Holly the new drugs are making me fall asleep at the click of a finger and yes using a computer for long periods can effect some and like you said it can hurt you eyes and it is hard to focus.

I keep forgetting I have one and when I suddenly think OHHH COFFEEE its cold ugh! but im going to join you and have a coffee.... I do have a question does typing or using the computer make anyone feel nauseous/dizzy, since I had those suspected seizures the other day every time I type the eye flicking for the right keys to hit and glancing back and forth between the screen and keys seems to be making me like spin like I cant focus ?!?! its really weird and the same if im looking/walking around the house ..... odd feeling

and no need to be sorry, I need to be able to shut off a nap would be awesome right about now I am completely drained the past 3 days. hope your new meds work for you :)

holly

If you feel drained then take a break and a nap (no like me a few hours at a time anytime) it will help rest your mind as well and you will feel better for it. Thanks for the thought about the meds I hope they work as well.

i have learned that feeling tired means an early night to bed, as i am unable to nap :( gotta love having little ones

Hi Holly,

Not sure which part of the world you are from but I am assuming you are in America.
I see in your original post that you have an appt with your dr on 5th August.
Is your appt with a GP or a neurologist?

I just wanted to wish you luck with your drs appt & hope you get some answers.

Hi Holly,

Not sure which part of the world you are from but I am assuming you are in America.
I see in your original post that you have an appt with your dr on 5th August.
Is your appt with a GP or a neurologist?

I just wanted to wish you luck with your drs appt & hope you get some answers.

CQ, thank you!

yes my apt was today and I am in north east America, the apt was with the Dr, he has put in for all the referrals for mri, eeg, and bloods etc., honestly im a bit overwhelmed with not knowing what to expect with the next sets of testing although I know I have you guy here and I thank you !!

I am glad my Dr confirmed my suspicions and didn't make light of it so to speak and he didn't make me feel like I was a nut, haha

im scared of the testing ..... I always have pushed every ache pain feeling off I have had a hernia for 12 years that im excellent at ignoring, but my Dr insists now I have been there for this I AM going to eventually get the hernia taken care off too lol
now I have to face this head on as it now is so apparent that I have to get it under control, the Dr issued me with a NO DRIVEING status on my records as he feels im having absence seizures .... and as perfect timing would happen had one mid conversation with him forgot what we were talking about he had to jog my memory took him a little while for me to get it, was apparently in lala land for about 30ish seconds but omg atleast I think im getting somewhere

can anyone share with me what happens with the tests I have to get done ... like what happens and do they hurt ??
except the blood of course I know that's a pain in the ***:roflmao:

CQ, thank you!

yes my apt was today and I am in north east America, the apt was with the Dr, he has put in for all the referrals for mri, eeg, and bloods etc., honestly im a bit overwhelmed with not knowing what to expect with the next sets of testing although I know I have you guy here and I thank you !!

can anyone share with me what happens with the tests I have to get done ... like what happens and do they hurt ??
except the blood of course I know that's a pain in the ***:roflmao:
Holly
It's good to see your dr is taking you seriously & booked further testing.

EEGs & MRIs do not hurt at all.

An EEG usually involves having electrodes attached to your head with a special glue to monitor brainwaves. I always found the worse part of any EEG is getting the glue out of your hair lol.

EEG (Electroencephalogram)
An Electroencephalogram (EEG) is a test commonly performed to look at the electrical activity of the brain - that is, the brain waves or how the brain is functioning. Brain cells communicate by producing tiny electrical impulses. Seizures are a result of abnormal electrical activity, so it is logical to perform the EEG first.

If a person is thought to be having seizures, they are referred to a clinic to have an electroencephalogram (EEG). It is a simple, painless test and involves no needles or injections.

During the test, small discs called electrodes are placed on the surface of the scalp by parting the hair and holding them in place with temporary glue, or sometimes a special cap. The EEG machine then records the electrical activity of the brain on disc, computer or to paper.

It is important to be relaxed because movement can affect results.

Most of the test is performed with the eyes closed, and sometimes you will be asked to open them briefly. It is routine to be asked to breathe deeply (hyperventilate) for a 2-3 minutes and later have a flickering strobe light, flickering at various speeds. These forms of stimulus can provoke EEG changes in some forms of epilepsy.

For the test, it is important to have clean hair and scalp. Do not apply any hair products such as gel or hairspray on the morning of the test. It is also important to inform the person doing the test of any medications you are taking.

An MRI is where you lay in a tunnel & they take images of your brain. It doesn't hurt at all but it is very noisy, you have to keep still the whole time other wise if you move it can affect the results. Also because it is in a tunnel it is very enclosed so if you don't like enclosed spaces let the techs know & they may be able to give you something to calm you down.

The MRI machines are made up of magnet so you can't wear any jewelry, you should get a form to fill out asking you if you have anything like hearing aids, pace maker, metal in your body etc

MRI Scanning
MRI or Magnetic Resonance Imaging produces clear and detailed images of the brain without the use of x-rays. It uses strong magnetic field and radio frequency waves that produce and measure energy changes in the brain and then generates images. Technology has advanced and the MRI can now produce three-dimensional images of the brain on a computer. Two-dimensional images can be printed onto film.

The person lies on a table and the table moves inside the scanner, which is like a tunnel. During the scan, the machine makes a loud thumping noise. This can be distressing for those who dislike confined spaces, a mirror at the person's head provides a view of the room and the operator, while a call button and an intercom allows contact. Earplugs should also be available.

The procedure lasts from 30-45 minutes.

Because of the strong magnetic field people with pacemakers, cerebral aneurysm clips and any other metal surgical implants will not be able to have a MRI scan.

It is important to remove jewellery, hairclips, hearing aids, credit cards, coins, keys, even makeup and hair gels which could interfere with the scan.

The MRI scan is not known to have any harmful effects.

It is advisable to tell staff prior to the scan if you suffer from claustrophobia (fear of being in a confined space).

Again, complete stillness is required during this test and young children may require sedation or a light, general anaesthetic. The entire procedure takes from 30-60 minutes.

http://epilepsy.org.au/about-epilepsy/medical-aspects/diagnosis

Last edited:
CQ thank you so much thats calmed my nerves somewhat however the aprihension is killing me, have horrible spelling with out my computers spell check sorry

Back
Top Bottom