Keppra and stomach aches

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
My son is taking Keppra, he has been on it since diagnosis, about three weeks or so. It has held his seizures 100% thus far so we are very pleased however we are dealing with behavior side effects and insomnia. Most recently he started complaining about stomach aches, he went to the nurse yesterday 2x at school and today told me he could not go to school because he was too sick. He ate, he had a BM, he actually seems fine but out of nowhere he says he has the worst stomach ache of his life. Can Keppra have that type of side effect or is my 7 year old taking advantage of his situation?

Listed under keppra side effects as "common" (i.e. 1 in 100 to 1 in 10) are gut disturbances such as abdominal pain, diarrhoea, nausea, vomiting, and indigestion. In general, stomach pain side effects tend to be more common in kids than in adults, so your son may well be telling the truth. Does he take the Keppra at mealtime? You could experiment with having him take it just before, during, or just after to see if that helps.

He takes it when he comes home from school, which is not at meal time, but he is usually having a snack at that time, we are moving the time down to breakfast, hopefully do that this weekend. I am going to take him to the pediatrician anyway, just to make sure there is nothing else going on. Thanks for responding

I had to start taking antacid medication shortly after starting Keppra. I still need that medication for almost everyday over the past 3yrs.

Stomach aches

I have had reactions like your son describes with at least one med. Not nausea, but actual pain at the top of my stomach after I took the pills. I always eat before my pills and for some pills that helps, but others not. (I've had some that make me nauseous too, but that's a different story).

I've lost track which ones did what at this point, but each time, when I told my neurologist, her response was that I "didn't tolerate" that med well, and she switched me to a different one. I know Keppra is one of the one's I didn't tolerate - and several others.

Dr. also has me on Protonix to prevent stomach ulcer type problems, though that'd be more of a burning type pain.

There are many different meds out there, and they affect different people differently. Talk to your son's doctor / neurologist and get them to change his meds to one that works for him without these bad side effects. It may even be something as simple as too high a dose.
Good luck

My 9 year old son is taking Keppra and Trileptal for benign rolandic epilepsy. They recently increased his Keppra and he does complain of stomach pain in the AM. It's nothing too bad but I know when we added the Keppra in it would wake him up at night it was so bad. He also did have some mild insomnia but both went away fairly quickly. It's tough to know when to let them slide and when they are making excuses but I think it's fair to say that your son is having tummy pain. I know Jack's was quite uncomfortable for about 3 nights. Good luck!

1wiggie, thanks for getting back to me. My son has the same type of epilepsy as your Jack does and we seem to be under control with the Keppra but he is waking very early, between 5:30-6, which is about 90 min earlier than he used to. I have to give him Melatonin at night to help him fall asleep, but he has had no seizures. His belly aches are very prominent, he complains daily about them. Like you said it is hard to know what is caused by side effects and what is anxiety and what could be phony as well. I hate to doubt him, but I just don't know :(.
Thanks again, and good luck.

My son now 30 yrs old ) was on Keppra for 6 months 4 yrs ago. He was more sick than well. Was constantly drowsy, although not very expresive, he would point to his stomach, which later led to the formation of stone like balls causing a blockage in his intestine...constipation and sever cramps. He had seizures falling forward, hurting his face. I immediately stopped Keppra.
Please note: he was on Keppra. Epilim and Rivitrol
Best of luck

I had to start taking antacid medication shortly after starting Keppra. I still need that medication for almost everyday over the past 3yrs.

I am an adult but also had to start taking pantoprazole for heart burn after starting keppra.

vitamin b6 taken daily really helps with the stomach issues. my daughter was constantly complaining of stomach pain until we came across a study that was done in seattle using the vitamin instead of adding another medication to children totally works for us

Taylors Mom, how much B6? The doctor told us 100 mg's, seems like a lot from what I have read but I think Keppra may deplete B6, so that is why.

I have no idea why...I read the study but didn't understand it...I will look it up and try to find the link and postit. We do 40mg b-6 in my 4 year old. The dr said we could go up to 100mg but just 40 works great for her. I actually just give it to her in a daily multi vitamin and a half b-6 tab...easier for us that way...and princess vitamins make it fun

I'm not able to post links but it was really easy to find The name of the study is "Psychiatric Adverse Events Resulting From Levetiracetam Treatment Occur in Epileptic Children With Specific Risk Factors" it covers other things than just the psychiatric issues also...although did help my daughter with her mood swings, I thought she was just an emotional kid but when we started b6 we realized it was her medicine not her that was having the issue...c

I'm not able to post links but it was really easy to find The name of the study is "Psychiatric Adverse Events Resulting From Levetiracetam Treatment Occur in Epileptic Children With Specific Risk Factors" it covers other things than just the psychiatric issues also...although did help my daughter with her mood swings, I thought she was just an emotional kid but when we started b6 we realized it was her medicine not her that was having the issue...c

Psychiatric Adverse Events Resulting From Levetiracetam Treatment Occur in Epileptic Children With Specific Risk Factors

there is so many side affects with keppra i get just about every1, tiredness, lerthargic, hair loss, insomnia, severe headaches, stomach pains it feels like someone is literally twisting my insides out, hope ya get him sorted

He been off Kepra for over 4 yrs now. No stomach cramps but seizures not fully controlled. He is on Epilim, rivitrol and trileptal. Due for sleep therapy and meds review. Results from these will help way forward. ta

Back
Top Bottom