keppra, lack of attention, imperfectionism

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

In particular, I am not as good at arts/crafts and music. Has anyone else experienced this?Thank you,
Matthew

I am on Keppra but I was also a poet. I lost my ability to write poems several years ago.

It turned out that it was not the Keppra that caused by ability to write poems. I have another problem that caused that.

Could you have another health problem that is causing your problem? Have you told your doctor about your problems? Talk to him/her about it. Maybe your neuro can help you. Maybe you need to get off of Keppra maybe it is something else.

Only get off of a medicine with a doctor's help, otherwise you can put yourself in worse shape.

While you are on Keppra, take Vitamin B-Complex. Keppra deletes your vitamin B.

GREAT thread! Mathew, and Dignan both I am so glad to hear your experience. I am an art maker and wildly creative. I live for that too. I study philosophy and in college at the University of Washington I was told that i had an amazing use of the English language. This is all pre- Tonic Clonics And meds. I complain to the docs that keppra makes me dumber and they say, "Well, you may feel that way but no studies have shown that to be the case." I am furious about their blaze' attitude and they don't try the meds. It doesn't take long, when looking at the REAL history of big pharma, to see faulty study reports that leave out effects and paying hospitals/docs to promote meds. And i know that i should just be grateful, however illiterate i get, for the fact that i am not pushing up daisies. I just hate it. I am now on a gradual, long term study to see if i can transfer to Lamectal instead. It is taking a gradual introduction to Lamectal and being on both for a while and trying tapering off keppra just to see if i can go without it. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Great point Ruth. That is valid. I also have a brain injury and will double up on B-vites. I am a passionate poetry lover too.

I haven't had any problems with B6. It helps, but hasn't been a wonder drug either.

I've been busy espousing the virtues of it, but tbh I'm still not convinced the mood elevating is anything more than the placebo effect- it does seem to be like using a spud-gun against a tank lol- and I'm not saying I find it blocks Kepprage etc or anything else magical, but if I think I should be feeling a little bit better and then I regularly do, I'm not gonna bother investigating too hard 'why'. Even if it just helps with this B6 depletion Ruth mentioned, it's worthwhile I think :)

In the case of Keppra I was wondering, "Is it me?", "Am I getting old?", "Am I having too many partials?", "Was I mistaken about how good I was before?", or "Is my brain just fried?" They need a whole lot more research on the side effects of meds.

Of course I have wondered what I'm really like, without any meds. I see pictures of myself as a little kid and I was so full of affect, happy, open to the world. Even in high school pictures I look pretty good. In almost all the pictures from the last ten years I look like a broken sick person. I'm thinking, "Do I really look that way?"

It's easy to believe you've lost it when things around you are crazy, and it's easy to believe the negative effects are 'just you' when they're there day after day for as long as you can remember. I also hate to see the way I've become- or more exactly, how I preceive myself to be now- because that's another thing out of our control isn't it? As you said, these negative states are bound to alter our perception of things..

At least there are things we can do to help our brains, all exercise is a good thing :) The word games section here is a good start, but puzzles, sudoku etc, whatever floats your boat. When you go to the store, try keeping a running total in your head till you get to the till.. I find that trying to play Rockband on expert on my xbox really helps with my dexterity, processing speed and memory lol

Matthew, Janus, Ruth, and others who may have felt their depth of focus and creativity negatively affected after moving to Keppra.. if any of you ultimately move completely off of Keppra, I would be very grateful to hear if you feel like more of your old selves or if any of your "abilities" seemed to return.

If I make the switch, I'll try to do the same.

Ruth: That's possible. My condition got worse in 2001, and much worse in 2005. I'm doing better now and things are under control, but I'm not as good as I was. Why don't you think you can write poetry anymore?

Janus: I don't have a brain injury, but I do have a benign tumor (probably from birth - left frontal/temporal). I studied the "Great Books" in college, which amounts to a lot of philosophy. I have gone to school both drugged up and sick, and healthy on a very low dose. Let me know if I can offer any benefit from my experience.

Dignan: I don't have any plans, but I'll try to keep you in mind.

SlimBlue: I googled Rockband (haven't played it or Guitar Hero), and the drums look really hard.

Hi Matthew

I have a severe memory loss. I was diagnosed 5 years ago with Alzheimer's Disease. The correct diagnosis showed up a few months ago. I have Parkinson's Disease.

The difference between the two is that one has tremors in the head, arms and shoulders.
The tremors actually started about 14 years ago with small tremors in the hands. That is the "Hallmark" sign of PD. I thought it was part of my epilepsy, so I never mentioned it to my doctors. As the years rolled by I had confusion, didn't know where I was at and my memory loss was slowly getting worse.

About 4 years ago, my husband and I noticed a sharp decline in my memory. We thought I had AD. I asked my neuro and he did the three tests. They came out positive for AD. The main tremors did not show up until last summer. I walked into the doctor's office and my tremors were real bad. He was surprised and said, "You have Parkinson's."

That is what I have. My memory loss is getting worse and I will continue getting worse. I am on medicine for it. Two of my epilepsy pills has slowed down the progress of PD. That is why it took so long to get this bad.

I take Carbidopa-Levodopa 25-250 3 times a day. Clonazepam is one of the epilepsy pills that helps calms the tremors. I also drink Sleepy Time tea to relax before bedtime. I do not remember what the other one is.

I read my Bible too. That helps relax me. Please read Revelation 21:3,4. Soon sickness and death will be no more.

Ive been taking keppra for a couple weeks now, it makes it hard to focus, it makes me frustrated and angry, it makes me have stomach problems and it makes me feel foggy.

Annicus, welcome to CWE. It was made by Bernard out of love for his wife Stacy. That love permeates throughout the whole forum.

Have you told your doctor about the problems you are having with Keppra? I hope you do. Are you taking one Vitamin B-Complex a day. Keppra depletes our body of Vitamin B.

Keep us updated.

I haven't yet since I don't have a doctor, I can't afford one ATM. I'm trying not to get stressed due to this. It'll all work out. I will start talking vitamin b however.
Thank you.

Ive been taking keppra for a couple weeks now, it makes it hard to focus, it makes me frustrated and angry, it makes me have stomach problems and it makes me feel foggy.
Hi Annicus,
Keppra is also known as Kepprarage as it is known to affect your personality & moods.

When I have any medication changes I allow myself at less 2 weeks for any side effects to happen while my system gets used to the change.

If you find you are having issues with Keppra you should speak to a dr, I see you said that you can't afford to see a Dr at the moment but is there any places that can help you in your area eg - free health clinics, drs who assist people who don't have much money or health insurance.

YES! and thanks again Ruth! i notice mental acumen when using the b-complex. I find it worth the money to get good ones (natural, complete, food based, reputable company etc.) And it makes a big diff when i sleep well which is caused by the (also good for neuron repair in epilepsy) Magnesium. that i take after dinner or when i am getting ready for bed. Annicus, you're right to mind the stress as that can take minerals and energy right out of your system. I have utilized the emergency room when i can not afford a doc. i would just go in there and explain that i have E and need to talk to someone about the meds/side effects. And do not take NO for an answer. Unless they are too over booked with people who are coming in Dying (in that case i would come a different day or time of day) If they try to refer you to a neurologist or someone else you can not afford, tell them you can not go there, etc. as $$$. even if i had to try the day hours they would at least call epilepsy docs and suggest something or give me a new med to try (which is not a quick process) but at least that would put me on track with making a change. It works.

CQ, I can speak to my pharmacist today at work. I am having problems with it, pils and I don't normally agree.

Janus, I didn't know I could use the er for that, thank you, I will use that knowledge wisely. I'm afraid to stop meds, I don't wanna put myself or my wife through another seizure. The pills are making it hard to work, and being the only breadwinner and already getting my hours cut, it's stressful.

Janus, Thank you for mentioning how the doctors sometimes seem so out of touch w the reality of the meds. I have been astounded and also angry about that and I thought nobody was ever going to mention it. Bidwell

Annicus, since we share the same state, have you applied for California Coverage. It is required now, by law. Check into it. It is on the Internet under California Covered.

You can still be seen in the ER though. The best time to go into the ER is about 6-6:30 am. When I have to go to the ER that is the time I prefer.

Matthew74, thank you. I have studied the Bible for years. I am a Jehovah's Witness.
Look up http://www.jw.org

I am on a new (to me) med, with keppra, to see if i could try switching over eventually. So now i am on keppra and Lamictal as i gradually increase Lamictal. But i have had rage attacks and been in a general state of pissed off. The benefit is that my energy is back and i have been inspired and very creative. But what can i do about this anger? I believe it is related to the meds.

I'm on Keppra and Tegretol. I find that I have no ability to focus, I have to force myself to complete assigned tasks on time. During my college career, I've always been a straight A student... since I started my medications (Keppra first and then Tegretol about nine months later), I've had two C's and a D. It's been a tough adjustment.

I've been very careful in studying how I respond and which times of the day are the best for studying or working. It helps me to know when I have to get things done.

It is nice to know that I'm not the only one. Thanks for asking.

Back
Top Bottom