Keppra-SSRI interaction

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

maeve09

New
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with Keppra and SSRIs? I am on 500 mg of Keppra twice a day, as well as 100 mg of Zoloft once a day. Since starting Zoloft, I don't seem to have good control-I'm a lot more likely to twitch/jerk. I have JME, so luckily, that is the extent of my seizures, thus far, but it had been well controlled before starting Zoloft.

Last edited:
I take 3000 mgs. of Keppra + 200 mgs. of Zoloft. I've had CPs and TCs while taking both of these meds and even when not taking them. SSRIs can bring on seizures, so talk to your dr. I was seeing a neuropsychiatrist at the time.

Thank you! I have been on Prozac, Lexapro and Celexa and they were all fine, although didn't seem to do much for the depression. Zoloft works great for the depression, but seems to be affecting the Keppra. I have an appointment with my PCP on Friday. I wish it was with my neurologist instead, but better than nothing.

There is a moderate interaction according to the website our company uses for these things - here's the info:
Using Zoloft (sertraline) together with keppra (levETIRAcetam) may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment

Back
Top Bottom