[Ketogenic] Ketogenic Diet

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

sandinmyears

Reaction score
Does anyone here do the ketogenic diet or Modified Atkins diet for seizures?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't necessarily do Keto, but I have done a modified version of it. I like to do the Whole30 (last year and I started one again this month) to "reset" my system--which is basically no bread, no sugar, and no dairy for 30 days. After that, I try to stick to mostly protein and veggies, with occasional trips down the Haagen Dazs lane for my sugar lol. There are several low glycemic index diets/cookbooks also that are recommended for us too that I like to use for cooking.

I don't necessarily do Keto, but I have done a modified version of it. I like to do the Whole30 (last year and I started one again this month) to "reset" my system--which is basically no bread, no sugar, and no dairy for 30 days. After that, I try to stick to mostly protein and veggies, with occasional trips down the Haagen Dazs lane for my sugar lol. There are several low glycemic index diets/cookbooks also that are recommended for us too that I like to use for cooking.

Thanks. My doctor is trying to get me assistance to get on Vimpat. If it works well, I might go from keto to MAD (Modified Atkins Diet) or just low carb or gluten free.

That's funny; I started taking Vimpat about 8 months ago. It's not bad. Good luck to you!

Watching great actor John mills he been on Atkins diet for over 70years he lived until 98 and felt great.worth a try
But my ma eaten crap all her life morbid obesity and is 100 set to get a least 5 teligrams

Hi saninmyears,

My Dr. wanted me to go on the keto diet but my insurance wouldn't cover me to see a dietician so I've done it on my own. A person has to have a lot of fat and protein in their body for this diet and cut back on the carbs and starch foods. I'm on a 4:1 diet 4 grams of fat for every 1 protein. The diet helps build up ketones in the body which reduce seizures and instead of using carbs for energy you use the fats and burn them off for energy. I lost a lot of weight when I was on the diet and it helped reduce my seizures a lot. The diet has been out since 1927. You can get a book titled "The Epilepsy Diet Treatment" By Dr. John Freeman. This book tells you how the diet works along with giving you a few recipes for the diet. If a person takes the drug Diamox the diet won't work for them for some reason but I'm not sure why. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Hi saninmyears,

My Dr. wanted me to go on the keto diet but my insurance wouldn't cover me to see a dietician so I've done it on my own. A person has to have a lot of fat and protein in their body for this diet and cut back on the carbs and starch foods. I'm on a 4:1 diet 4 grams of fat for every 1 protein. The diet helps build up ketones in the body which reduce seizures and instead of using carbs for energy you use the fats and burn them off for energy. I lost a lot of weight when I was on the diet and it helped reduce my seizures a lot. The diet has been out since 1927. You can get a book titled "The Epilepsy Diet Treatment" By Dr. John Freeman. This book tells you how the diet works along with giving you a few recipes for the diet. If a person takes the drug Diamox the diet won't work for them for some reason but I'm not sure why. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

I saw a dietician in late January. I was doing 3:1. Now it’s about 1.5:1. I had a complex partial seizure the beginning of February, but I average about one a month, so there’s basically no change with the lower ratio.

I started taking Vimpat last week. I’ve had a few auras, but not bad. I’m still at a low dose too. It will increase gradually. Crossing my fingers.

Hiiii Everyone! I am sooo stoked to read this thread/post whatever it's called :)
I just went to another neuro today to get a second opinion because the first one wanted to up my lamotrigine from 2x100 to 2x200 because had about 4 of those deja vu foggy things where you dont pass out- its just like when you wake up from an intense dream and you dont know where or who you are (what is that actually called? I always forget the names haha memory shame fried brain cells or something- i think i have lost my mind typing away like this)
i left out a tablet went out partying and left out the one in the morning. So the first Dr said yea 3 seizures are due to you not taking your meds twice in a row.
I went to the 2nd one and she STRAIGHT UP saw his name on the paperworked and asked if he was my neuro because he is so good blah blah blah buttkisser to the max.
So you can imagine she totally said everything is ok with what he said- but then when i asked her about what the max is for the drug she said 200.
So well, my hubby is stressed to the max so I am trying this keto (20g or less) so he can see that i am making and effort
I havw nothing to lose (except some body fat hahaha)
But give us a shout/msg if you are too
Or if you know of any forums/pages with "being on keto as an adult) please

Hiiii Everyone! I am sooo stoked to read this thread/post whatever it's called :)
I just went to another neuro today to get a second opinion because the first one wanted to up my lamotrigine from 2x100 to 2x200 because had about 4 of those deja vu foggy things where you dont pass out- its just like when you wake up from an intense dream and you dont know where or who you are (what is that actually called? I always forget the names haha memory shame fried brain cells or something- i think i have lost my mind typing away like this)
i left out a tablet went out partying and left out the one in the morning. So the first Dr said yea 3 seizures are due to you not taking your meds twice in a row.
I went to the 2nd one and she STRAIGHT UP saw his name on the paperworked and asked if he was my neuro because he is so good blah blah blah buttkisser to the max.
So you can imagine she totally said everything is ok with what he said- but then when i asked her about what the max is for the drug she said 200.
So well, my hubby is stressed to the max so I am trying this keto (20g or less) so he can see that i am making and effort
I havw nothing to lose (except some body fat hahaha)
But give us a shout/msg if you are too
Or if you know of any forums/pages with "being on keto as an adult) please

There are a bunch of pages in facebook. Do a search for keto and epilepsy together. Also keto and health. Keto4neuro.

There are a bunch of pages in facebook. Do a search for keto and epilepsy together. Also keto and health. Keto4neuro.

Hi & thanks for your swift reply!
May I ask if you have started the diet?

And how is the diet going for you?
(Started on Monday 5 days ago- strangely enough it has been easy!!) Lol weird.
How about you?

Hi Folks,

When I first went on the diet I had to fast for 2 days and then slowly work my way up to 4:1 ratio. It took a little while for my body to adjust but after the 2nd week I was fine. I was told I could only be on the diet for a max of 2 yrs. and then I had to go off the diet for awhile because it wouldn't work if I stayed on the diet for over 2 yrs. Wishing you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Thanks again for the feedback
- may I ask Porkette, were you taking your meds as well?
I have noticed that compared to research about new medication is obviously A LOT more, obviously because the drug companies want to be making money- and unfortunately I am coming to realise that here in Hungary the neuros have said straight out that they "don't use this kind of methods, and that it's only for kids anyway"
The reason why I have started it is because they got me off Kepra (by complete accident- a newbie neuro decided it- and it saved and changed my life after being depressed and suicidal for years- thank God"
And my current neuro wants to put me on 2x200 lamictal, which another neuro told me was the MAX that you can take, meaning that next time theyd have to switch or add another drug- and I dont want to do that because I know that eventually it will happen that I'll get another seizure anyway and I dont want to get a nee drug that might mess.me up psycologically again!! So with keto i want tp slow the process.
What do you guys think- is this a stupid idea?
I feel like I know my body best, and I dont want to up my meds yet if there are other options as well..
Give me your opinions and experience- because I dont know if i have just lost it because I am so scared- or if this is a realistic approach to delay them upping my meds?

Hi seetseet,

No, I wasn't taking off my meds but I was cut back many and the dosage was lowered.
If you want to find what is the best med for you ask your neuro to do a DNA test, all they have to do is draw some blood and get some salvia from your mouth, this in turn will be sent to the lab where they will be able to see your body chemistry along with the amount of enzymes in your liver and the Dr. can match that up to the best seizure med for you with the least side effect, this test will also show if you are drug resistant like I am.
Another thing you can do is put coconut oil on your skin once or twice a day this in turn builds up ketones in your body to help reduce the seizures I've been doing that for yrs. and it helps a lot. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Back
Top Bottom