Long term effects of dilantin

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

One major side-effect of dilantin is malabsorption of folic acid. That can lead to bone and joint problems. Folic acid tablets to supplement folic acid intake can avert this problem. However, consult your doctor before taking folic acid tablets because they may reduce the effectiveness of dilantin.

I've been on dilantin (phenytoin) for nearly 60 yrs. One thing which was mentioned about having dental appointments by RanMan I also do - every 6 mos. in my case. Needless to say, I'm going to have a complete re-assessment of my Rx b/c I've been wondering about the length of time I've been on dilantin for decades! These long term effects of dilantin are going to be of great interest to my drs. - GP & neurologist. I'm also wondering about the resolution of the neuropathies acquired with long term use of dilantin if one is gredually weaned off dilantin & under supervision.

I"ve only been on Dilantin and keppra for about 11 years. Just Started withneuropathy in my feet the last couple of months. I go to dentist reg. and use toothpaste and mouth rinse called Biotene. not real cheap but dentist said that is does help gums. I hav good liver blood tests. I'm afraid to change from Dilantin and keppra because i haven't had a seizure in 4 years. Last seizure my doc and daughters said was close to 4 hours. Next one I might not come back I have staticus epilepsy that started 1 year after 2 brain surgery. Thanks to everyone for all your info.

520 mg Dilantin
1500 keppra
1 mg folic acid
20 mg celexa

Last edited:
Dilantin was one I took in High school. I wouldn't even smile. My gums were always swollen. But my mom worked for a dentist and so I had surgery once and warm salt water, then I just got off that lame drug and now I have beautiful teeth.

I took Dilantin all through school.It wiped out my memory.Until I had a neuro take me off it. my memory came back better than ever when I was taken off that drug.I had surgery was on my gums as a kid when I was on Dilantin and it caused my teeth to come in crooked.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom