Looking for a man when you have epilepsy...

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

mommymela

New
Reaction score
is hard!!! I have to laugh about it, last night a young military guy who I was chatting with at a little bar seemed pretty interested in me, and I ended up giving him my number (he was so handsome!). I told him I don't drive (without saying why) and he offered me a ride home...if I blew him on the way. :roflmao:

Yeaaaah, I called a cab, and told him to please lose my number. I wonder if that line has ever worked for him before.

I guess finding a man no matter what is hard, but I prefer to have my own car during dates in case I need to make a quick getaway lol.

The search continues, no rush, I'm learning a lot more about the type of man I want and about myself. It will happen when it's supposed to!

is hard!!! I have to laugh about it, last night a young military guy who I was chatting with at a little bar seemed pretty interested in me, and I ended up giving him my number (he was so handsome!). I told him I don't drive (without saying why) and he offered me a ride home...if I blew him on the way. :roflmao:

Yeaaaah, I called a cab, and told him to please lose my number. I wonder if that line has ever worked for him before.

I guess finding a man no matter what is hard, but I prefer to have my own car during dates in case I need to make a quick getaway lol.

The search continues, no rush, I'm learning a lot more about the type of man I want and about myself. It will happen when it's supposed to!
Morning Mela,
What an asshole. Guys still really try stuff like that in 2012? Thought they would have learned by now (if she's the type to say yes then that mouth has been everywhere). Ugghh.

As for meeting/being with a guy when you have epilepsy, it is very crucial to find the right personality. And to get to know it WELL and be sure about it before you make any big moves like a place together. I learned the hard way that all the confidence and promises given in the beginning can fizzle when things are at their worst.
They have to drive for us on a regular basis whenever we lose our license (many issues come up ie: what if you work different hours), and if you just want a simple damn coffee from the store, he'll have to get it for you. There will be emotions of all kinds every time there's a big one and you lose your mind for weeks/months (they have to understand there are no limits to how this can make us feel/act when we once again have our life ripped out from under us), and be prepared to handle as a man. a real one.
They have to understand that we can't be 'fixed,' and that's not their role anyway, it's the doctor's. We just need love and support, 500 times over.
And most of all they need to understand that this is for life. It's not going to go away as we age or change our lives, and the hard times will come (but also go) with every seizure. They need to know exactly what a commitment to you is, and the only one that will be worth you even considering building a life with is someone that is WITH YOU ON EVERY TURN. Shares and learns about E with you, comes to dr. appts, holds you in the hospital if you've had one, lets you cry/rant/mope as much as you need to to bring yourself around.
And besides... if he isn't offering to grab you a coffee or anything else you need while you can't do it yourself and he knows it makes you feel like shit... he's not going to be by your side when bigger issues hit the fan.
So... novella aside... take it from me (and others on here will agree), once you've met someone and tell them (I only waited two weeks b/c I was already falling for him)... don't melt into their 'confidence' arms too quick.
And you're right, it will happen when it's supposed to, likely when you're not looking!

OMG I have to tell you guys something else that has been blowing my mind (no pun intended lol). I have had several people now say that I'm too cute/hot/whatever to have epilepsy. HOW OFFENSIVE! How does looking a certain way mean I shouldn't be sick? I put people who say such ignorant things on auto-reject! How rude.

OMG I have to tell you guys something else that has been blowing my mind (no pun intended lol). I have had several people now say that I'm too cute/hot/whatever to have epilepsy. HOW OFFENSIVE! How does looking a certain way mean I shouldn't be sick? I put people who say such ignorant things on auto-reject! How rude.

*!@#*! Did you hear me gasp from there?!
OMG I would hope people that ignorant (literally, intelligently ignorant) would keep their mouths shut. How the hell does your looks have anything to do seizures? So by that 'rule' they would look at someone with E who is homely and say, 'I can totally see it.' ???

Yes, auto-reject girl!! One good thing that comes out of things like that however is you realizing you're smarter than A LOT of people. You're gaining knowledge (albiet because of your own diagnosis, but still) and compassion and an understanding of the bigger picture, of what real people go through in the world, people that don't base everything on nice hair or a great ass.

JESUS!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's got me going now!!!

I know right! I just stood there with my mouth open when I first heard it, then turned around and walked away. The idiot probably didn't even understand why I was so pissed!

how rude ,what a BUTT HEAD ! another damm stereotype jerk off,me sorry i just cant stand dorks.lol

That doesn't surprise me. I've had people in different environments tell me I "don't look like I have Epilepsy." Even the gal applying the electrodes at the last EEG I had said that to me. Now I reply, "Oh really?! What does one look like?"

That doesn't surprise me. I've had people in different environments tell me I "don't look like I have Epilepsy." Even the gal applying the electrodes at the last EEG I had said that to me. Now I reply, "Oh really?! What does one look like?"

An EEG tech said that to you? How did she get her job? Jesus Christ that is appalling, for anyone to say, but especially someone in this field. And exactly... didn't know you could tell by looking at our face. What a dolt.

I know exactly what ur talking about but coming from a guys perspective girls were like that as well dont drive wont date u.and have been told ur not the type of person id expect to have epilepsy and had to learn the hard way with a marriage said be supportive was not but terrible oick up line.

o_O

Well, there is a very clear upside to this story. Our cute soldier-boy showed his values very clearly and you were not forced to waste any of your time discovering that he was indeed a jackass with nice teeth. Inexcusable behaviour on the part of your "date".

Jay

Some jerks and some gems. So hard to sort through them all, but good thing your "auto-reject" sensor is on high. I am going to let Rebecca read this later. She will get a kick out of it. She has had a few losers recently, but then again some real winners.

Keep the faith.

my gf is a waitress, she gets strange stuff and phone numbers all the time.
Apparently some guy asked for a "mouth hug" a few days ago after he paid her.

lol "mouth hug"

I've had old men ask to be my sugar daddy while waiting on them lol

I've heard alot of nast pick up lines (if you want to call them that) from guys at bars, and other places. I usually come back with some rude remark and just walk away.

The guy I was dating when I had my first seizure didn't want to deal with it and the relationship just sort of weaned off.

I met my husband about 8 years ago at a concert, I had epilepsy for about a year already. I don't remember if I told him at the show that I had epilepsy or not. He called me the next day and we went on a date. Before we went out we did tell him that I had epilepsy and what to do if I had a seizure with him.

Thie first seizure I had with him was about 2 weeks into the relationship. I was with him at his house and the seizure was so bad that I ended up in the ER. The whole family thought that he was going to be gone after that. He saw what I was like and now knew what he was going to have to deal with if he kept dating me. He told them that I was a great person and he wasn't going any where.

I can't drive or work so I have to rely on him alot of time to get me places. I try to make dr appointments when he's not working or when someone else can take me, but if I can't get one he calls off work so he can take me. He always takes me to my neuro appts, and usually has to call off for those. He want's to make sure he is can answer questions my neuro asks and ask questions himself. My memory is really bad so he wants to make sure he knows what's going on.

So here we are. I don't know how many dr's appointments, trips to the ER, stays in the hospital and many many seizures later he's still around.

It might take a little time but the right guy will show up.

tell me about it i met this cute guy we had a few dates and i thought i wld tell him bout my e he suddenly wldnt even look at me n wen i asked wat his prob was he was like can i catch it? ass as u can guess i just walked off wldnt waste time on him

I thought I answered this one.... I had my first seizure on my first date with my now husband LOL! No kidding. <3 So it is possible. His mother wasn't happy. 23 years. she still doesn't like me.

Reading these threads, I hope my current boyfriend and I work out! He seemed okay when I told him about my diagnosis and just wanted to make sure I was okay (it's a long distance relationship right now, so he wasn't there when it happened). He is not easily bothered by things though, and isn't the type to really care what other people think either. When he was talking about visiting me whenever he finishes this training he's doing now, and I told him I couldn't drive he said "that's okay, I don't mind driving!" (Normally he gets sleepy and wants to nap after thirty minutes of driving, so I have to take over). His mom loves me too, and has offered to come up to New York (she lives in Florida now) to help me out for a few weeks. I was also dating someone when I had my first T/C, and the SECOND one was while I was next to him in the car on the way back from the hospital that same day. He was apparently really flustered and scared, but he didn't breakup with me for it... However, the following few months were really stressful, and that did NOT help the relationship (hence why he's now an ex).

And to the original poster, wow, I'm sorry about that awful experience! I'm in the Army, and some of the guys are just sooo stupid when it comes to women (another reason I hope this current relationship works out!) Though my current boyfriend is in the Army, so they aren't all bad :)

my Grandma just met the gf for the time. and called her scrawny to her face. life is always fun

Back
Top Bottom