Magnesium - Cure for Epilepsy?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I've had to cut back on my magnesium dosage - it's made by stools a little more runny

I thought you'd all be interested in knowing that :D

You know TT, I got up this morning and I was really concerned and I was asking myself just that question. Thanks for sharing. Now I can rest, knowing that.

BTW how are the seizures and headaches?

Awww, TT.......

We love ya anyways..........

But what ya did is right. That is what happens when your magnesium levels are too high. Smart guy you are!!! :clap::bigsmile:

You know TT, I got up this morning and I was really concerned and I was asking myself just that question. Thanks for sharing. Now I can rest, knowing that.

BTW how are the seizures and headaches?

I knew you'd be concerned about my stools Robin :cheers:

My seizures are doing their best to 'tidy up', and becoming a little less regular than before - I've upped my Tegretol dosage (instructed by Doc), plus the Magnesium (now reduced as per runny stools), so fingers crossed I'll see a huge improvement. All in all though, I can't really moan at the present state of my 'seizure world'.....quite surprising really considering the state of my 'work life'

Sure wish the news was that the Tegretol was decreasing. Something to think about... perhaps this is not the best "type" of magnesium for your system. Some are absorbed quicker than others. You might consider trying ionic magnesium, as it doesn't go straight to the gut. Less chance of "looseness".

Sure wish the news was that the Tegretol was decreasing. Something to think about... perhaps this is not the best "type" of magnesium for your system. Some are absorbed quicker than others. You might consider trying ionic magnesium, as it doesn't go straight to the gut. Less chance of "looseness".

Yeah, I know what you mean about the dosage of Tegretol. Still, it turns out I was on the minimal dosage anyway, so fingers crossed it won't have to be increased too much.

That's good thinking regarding the magnesium though - I'll have a look into the 'ionic magnesium' and see if I can find some in my GNC store.

Thanks again Robin - you're a star :hi5:

Be careful... we bought one that tasted HORRIBLE. I was told that it can be baked into food since it is a mineral. Otherwise a good strong juice is required to mask the taste.
Mine is not bad I can take it straight. I put a dropperful of it under my tongue, swish it around a bit and swallow. It does the trick for me and never have had to make announcements like you have.

Be careful... we bought one that tasted HORRIBLE. I was told that it can be baked into food since it is a mineral. Otherwise a good strong juice is required to mask the taste.
Mine is not bad I can take it straight. I put a dropperful of it under my tongue, swish it around a bit and swallow. It does the trick for me and never have had to make announcements like you have.

I'll drink anything if I know it's gonna do me good :banana:

I am wondering if this is any good:

http://www.naturesalternatives.com/minerals/magnesium.html

The doctor that I see says this:

The following is quoted from the book, "NATURAL HORMONE BALANCE" by UZZI REISS, M.D./O.B. GYN, published by Pocket Books Copyright 2001 regarding MAGNESIUM deficiencies. Dr. Reiss has a highly successful Beverly Hills practice and prescribes a private label Liquid Ionic Magnesium Concentrate for his patients.

"Yes, we all need calcium for healthy bones, but you won't achieve good bone health without adequate magnesium. Magnesium increases bone elasticity. A deficiency can contribute to osteoporosis. Moreover, magnesium is often the nutritional missing link to menstrual wellness. Some studies have linked PMS to magnesium deficiency alone, on in combination with excess calcium. _ _ _ The mineral is a partner in more than three hundred enzymatic reactions in the body, including the generation of cellular energy and muscle relaxation, and the synthesis of fat, protein, and nucleic acids. _ _ _ The obsession with calcium in our society appears to be a major contributor to magnesium depletion. High intake of calcium interferes with magnesium absorption. In other words it makes an already existing deficiency worse. So we need to hear more than just the calcium message. We need to start hearing the magnesium message.

Back
Top Bottom