[News] Marijuana

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Bummer about the seizure. My suggestion is to up the dose...but don't mind me, I'm a recreational user. :p

Thanks CathyAnne.

He had MAJOR stress the day before.....not sure a burning field would or could of stopped this one.....

when he is feeling out of sorts, its just a matter of heading to a coffeeshop here...and when he feels the need, he ups the dosage...its helping him relax..big time.

Last edited:
I was in Amsterdam in December. Wow, what a fun time. I think me and my companion visited over 50 coffee shops!! We loved Grey Area and Dampkring especially. I hope to get back someday, before it's all illegal for the tourists to partake.

yes "illegal for the tourists to partake", its coming soon....which I do not agree with. Will not be illegal for us. Know one of the mentioned CS :)

I love Amsterdam...

I found this exciting....

The article says it works for diseases that cause pain but I wonder if it would help stop seizures & allow for a clear head.
A company that owns the largest facilities in Israel for growing medicinal marijuana says it's cultivating a strain of the plant with little ability to get patients stoned.

The company, Tikun Olam, was founded in 2004 by retired biology teacher Dorit Cohen, who began her business by cultivating marijuana (cannabis) in two rooms of her home to help cancer patients.

Tikun Olam's website says it is the first and main licensed grower of medicinal marijuana in Israel, which has become a world leader in the use of the plant for medicinal purposes. More than 10,000 patients have government licences to consume the drug for relief of the symptoms of cancer, Parkinson's and other diseases and conditions that cause chronic pain.

Central in the company's growing efforts is a new strain of cannabis that contains minimal traces of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the active ingredient in cannabis that puts people in a relaxed state and gets them "high."

The company says the new strain — dubbed Erez, after one of the first patients who received medicinal marijuana and who has since died — has enough THC to have beneficial effects for medical purposes, while not getting people stoned and allowing them to maintain clear heads to perform everyday activities.

Israeli company takes the 'high' out of medicinal marijuana

Hi everyone! I'm new here. I am researching and trying to learn all about my epilepsy (mostly nocturnal seizures from a head injury) and I'm interested in natural ways. I just found this a few minutes ago:

Cannabis butter for epilepsy? PBS documentary

www dot athenstalks dot com/cannabis-butter-epilepsy-pbs-documentary

There's a lot of information to digest there, and I want to order some of those books too.

I assure everyone that I'm not a "troll" and that I'm not posting to induce seizures in anyone. I just found this information 10 minutes ago, and I felt like this was the forum to share the information. Again, I am not posting here to engage in personal attacks with anyone, and just because I am posting a link does not mean that I am some "troll". Thanks.

There's so much information to take in there.

Last edited:
The article says it works for diseases that cause pain but I wonder if it would help stop seizures & allow for a clear head.

Israeli company takes the 'high' out of medicinal marijuana

heck, why not - we've already developed food that make us feel full without having any flavor or much nutritional value and beverages that make us thirstier after consumption

overall I'm quite positive there are other medications whose side effects the medical community could be more concerned with

hey! how about those "thoughts of suicide" so many drugs are prone to? nope? but people having an elevated and clarified mood, unconscionable!

:twocents:

heck, why not - we've already developed food that make us feel full without having any flavor or much nutritional value and beverages that make us thirstier after consumption

Actually, taking away the high allows many more people to use it medicinally without creating problems for how they function.

overall I'm quite positive there are other medications whose side effects the medical community could be more concerned with

hey! how about those "thoughts of suicide" so many drugs are prone to? nope? but people having an elevated and clarified mood, unconscionable!

:twocents:

Getting rid of side-effects is exactly what they did here. Isn’t that a good thing?

I don’t see what side-effects of other drugs have to do with it since there is no mention that the growers who developed this strain have anything to do with pharmaceutical companies. I was impressed though that they would give it away for free to those who were financially challenged.

good points e.e.
I guess I snapped to the defensive of a treatment opportunity I believe overly and unnecessarily ostracized
it seems the augmentation of its effects is of an appeasing nature...

Actually, taking away the high allows many more people to use it medicinally without creating problems for how they function.

Getting rid of side-effects is exactly what they did here. Isn’t that a good thing?

I don’t see what side-effects of other drugs have to do with it since there is no mention that the growers who developed this strain have anything to do with pharmaceutical companies. I was impressed though that they would give it away for free to those who were financially challenged.

My brother died of an extremely rare cancer (malignant pheochromocytoma) after fighting it for 10 years (normal life expectancy is 5 years). Shortly after Ted died my sister saw a documentary on Steve Kubby. He was diagnosed with the same cancer at age 23. After surgery and conventional medical treatment failed he started smoking marijuana as his primary therapy.

For the next 25 years, Kubby claimed to control the symptoms of his disease solely by smoking medical marijuana and by maintaining a healthy diet. His original doctor, an expert on this condition shocked to learn he was still alive, said, "In some amazing fashion, this medication has not only controlled the symptoms of the pheochromocytoma, but in my view, has arrested its growth." (Wikipedia - Steve Kubby)​

Steve Kubby is still alive at 65 from a cancer that should have killed him by the time he was 30.
My brother only had 10 years and he suffered during that time.

I understand going slowly with marijuana so doctors can understand what is going on. I know many people who smoke it purely for medical reasons, who are able to live happier lives with much less pain. And then there is Ted who might still be alive had he known. I could never be so arrogant as to say "they just want to get high". They are just like me, they don't want their medical condition ruling their lives. I totally understand it and would never refuse them this wonderful drug. How can I when I take a barbiturate (phenobarbitol)?

Last edited:
Personally, smoking marijuana has been a trigger for me, so I avoid it.

That said, I think the key to using it lies in how it's used. The doses of THC for seizure control seem to be extremely low. Therefore, the key I think would be to use it on a regular basis in small amounts, rather than getting high as a kite a couple times a day. I realize a lot of people use it and think of it as "fun", but the responsible thing to me seems like only using enough to get the benefits from it and nothing more. If someone is going to use it like a medication, they should treat it as one, rather than using it as an excuse to get high simply because they like it.

If you can get the benefits from smoking one hitter every 8 hours, then you should do that, rather than getting ripped 3x a day.

I just feel that if a substance is going to be used as a medication, it should be treated as a medication... There is a difference between "recreation" and "medication" and it's something to keep in mind, considering the way it's viewed by the majority of the population. If people want to change perceptions, they have to work towards changing perceptions... so using it as a medication and only as a medication would help change the current view on medical marijuana use. Just my :twocents:

Last edited:
Trigger for me too, have to be very careful and have next-to-nothing to do with it anymore. Was a daily smoker for years but it slowly started bringing on simple partials so said to hell with it, not worth it. Like Silat said tho, was worse when I was ripped, so if one only needed a toke or two to ease the pain (or if I myself was enduring a painful condition), I say go for it, there's nothing wrong with that.

Hi Miss Nakamova! I appreciate your "thank you" and for posting the link.

Has anyone here tried the CBD tinctures or tried juicing cannabis?

According to ProjectCBD dot org and other sites, these Israelis are not the first to experiment with CBD.

I would like to move to California, so that I can try high-CBD cannabis. The oils, the tinctures, and edibles of high CBD cannabis have helped epileptics that I have read about and I was just wondering if anyone here has tried that, or what anyone here thinks about the news about the CBD tinctures?

Using CBD rich cannabis is not about smoking.

Thanks.

It's fascinating stuff, it would be interesting to see if this area of treatment develops. Of interest may be this link as well:

Afternoon all, this is a misunderstood topic by many and rightfully so.
The info is out there but it has to be weeded through and found after slogging through all the misinformation, propaganda, lies, and yes even marketing.
I personally don't think a previous experience that didn't help or even made issues worse can be used as ny sort of considered experience at all.
Not when it was a street purchased untested sample of cannabis you knew nothing about much less what effect it may or may not have.

There are many facts on the topic and more and more being found and PROVEN daily.
This therapy works with the endocannabinoid system.
A far spreading system even the doctors don't fully understand or grasp as to how it effects our entire system.
We have 2 main cannabinoid receptors in the body, this system intertwines with many of the body's main funcional systems at a foundational level as in more minutely seen endocannabinoid systems within other systems as the endochrine for example.
Yes our bodies do produce different endo cannabinoids for our basic functions and to prevent many diseases.
This is NOT an effect from an outside source, it's perfectly as we are suppossed to be along with the rest of life on this rock it now seems.
Exercise for example kicks the endocannabinoid system into gear and helps with mood, and health as a result.

Now for the plant.
One can NOT take any previous uncontrolled experience to heart because there are many different strains/chemotypes of this plant derived from a few genotypes that leave the chemical make ups of ALL of them distinct, very distinct in many cases.
These differences CAN be the difference between triggering a siezure and repressing them.
There are many many cannabinoids in this plant alone.
CBD, CBN, CBG, D8 THC, D9 THC, THC A, and many others, not even science is caught up on yet.
The ratios of said cannabinoids in individual plants will greatly affect the type of effects felt by the person, this ofcourse leaving thier own physiology aside from the topic as of yet.

The way these cannabinoids are received by the body and in what ratios are a huuuuuuge factor in results.
So no a joint you smoked how ever many years back that made you paranoid or even triggered an episode is NOT reflective of how usefull this plant may be for not only others but also ones self.
IF interested in a true representation of what this plant could possibly do for ones helth you'd want to be in touch with the right ppl who can offer many samples in a comfortable setting for someone to try and FIND what may work.

Even a high D9THC which can leave one with unwanted effects, in the same dose with the rest of the plants profile, cbn, cbd content etc. can nullify alot of the THC's effect.
This is the main reason the pill answer doesn't work for many.
The other cannabinoids can act as a buffer on cb receptors in the body naturally titrating the dose.
Other plants as the israeli's have bred can have little THC at all.
Yes usefull for some but not anyone who's relief comes from the THC.

Far as smoking goes it is the fastest mode for dosage titration.
I've seen mention of a vapourizer which can helpp those who don't want to ingest smoke but appreciate the next to imediate titration of the dose.
Edibles or Oral ingestion is a slower titration, and in many cases used for much larger doses than you can ever recieve via smoking.
Both are very different methods of ingesting and can mean the world of difference to someone looking for what helps the most.

A little more on why the pills may not be as an effective method as a prohibitionist might like is other ingredients in this plant.
Terpenes namely otherwise known as essential oils.
Mycrene, pinene, limonene, linolool, Cineole, etc etc. there's many many others like 120 known to be produced by this plant.
These terpenes are as much a part of the medical benefit as the cannabinoids as is presently being researched and found out by numerous ppl.
It's being touted as the entourage effect of the plant itself.
They're not just present they aid in the effects we gain from the ingestion.

Also just to add as far ass the pharmacological "answers" pills, sprays, tinctures, w/e they may be.
Why should a person pay for a fabricated pill when they can get the relief they need from a perfectly natural plant they can grow at home for free?
Just for the sake of big pharma collecting?
It's not just about what works and what not, there is also a basic freedom lost when you lose the choice between something you can do for yourself, for next to nothing, solely for the purpose of profiting off the same substance while it's "illegal".
After all pills aren't free n alot of times these aren't covered by anyone.
So why should a patient on disability for instance, not be able to pay rent or buy food for the month because they're forced to buy pills or sprays.
Especially when they can get the relief they need from growing a plant alot like 1 would a tomatoe plant.
Which has also been proven to have added theraputic benefits for many ontop of the actual medicating itself.
Than there's the rest who can't even do that much for themselves due to w/e ailments might deprive them of being so physically able.
There's no legal regulated resource for them to obtain through in many areas aswell as not being covered by many forms of insurance simply because of the legal controversy.
But this is more into the realm of the politics on the subject so I'll leave it at this, these ppl all need, and deserve the same options those who chose to pop a pill n line big pharma's pockets recieve and it's NOBODY'S place to say otherwise.
Not unless you're prepared to give up your rights to choice aswell.

That's a basic coverage of the plant and the system.
Now as for all the propaganda about mental helth effects, lung cancer, whatever else you can dig up from the reefer madness propaganda wagon.
It's all being shown to be exactly that now, scientifically useless propaganda.
I mean are you kidding effects on mental health, even with teens, meanwhile mental health numbers stay the same or rise at thier own independant rate while pot use climbs and climbs?
It kinda answers itself as to how direct a corrolation there is.
Besides this we do all realize pot being as easy to obtain as it is for EVERYONE, including the kids is all as a result of a prohibitionary tactic rather than a regulate and control tactic for control of this resource right?
Cause if not there's alot of research to be done by any individual who hasn't figured the FACTS out.

I'll leave the whole legalization of the plant aside cause that's political n I'm interested in factual medicinal value, not horse crap n marketing for either side of the "war".

But since I did notice Terry Parkers post at the beginning of this thread and someone asking if it was him who won the supreme court ruling here in canada, I'll add I believe it is the same Terry Parker, and he has been a big influence on this misunderstood theraputic plant, and the fact that it is legal for use here in canada, as it puts patients above the CDSA laws based on thier informed consent.
He's a great guy fighting the good fight for not just epileptics but many many many other patients and patient groups with various ailments that benefit from the use of cannabis as a natural therapy.

Just a couple study references I've seen lately, they've debunked mental illness caused by use even "chronic" use, long term cognitive, or motor function, debunked lung disease, and even memory issues, and for anyone with younger kids out there this may be a viable therapy for parents to look into.
1 of the most recent studies I've seen shows since the endocannabinoid system is not fully developed in infancy yet it may be a vial option for parents without cause for worry about the "high" side effects etc.
This is ofcourse aside from the fact that many plant strains may have a high cbd ratio with little thc and can basicly have th esame effect, but these are both equally new developements realy.

Our understanding of our own systems isn't up to par by far.
A very recent study looking into the deprivation of th eendocannabinoid system is starting to show promising results along the lines of if we don't nurture this system within our bodies it may very well lead to many diseases as it degrades and degenerates.
That's right the fact that it's not being used as it has been through our evolutionary growth may actually be the cause of many of the diseases it actually aids in treating.
Namely alzheimer's, and colon cancer as the study focused on.
Just some food for thaught.

Toxicalogy/dosage protocols have been ass backwards from the dawn of the science.
It's now plausable to think that minute dosages that have no noticable effects may actually be very beneficial in many therapies, but I'd agree this to be 1 of them.
It's not all about getting high for some ppl.
The curtain will be lifted on this theraputic plant wheather the prohibitionists like it or not n I think many are going to be surprised and should be furious for the lies told till they can't tell them no more.
Look it up this has been used as part of our evolution from the dawn of recorded time.
It may have very well been the catalyst for scientific adams aurvival to spread life to the rest of us while the rest of the species DIED OFF, along with a few other potential candidates for the mind altering substance that GAVE us an evolutionary leap.
It's been a huge resource to mankind, and even war has taken this plant into account as it's been faught around the world and all over it.
100 yrs of an attempt at control and monopolization has obviously kept many in the dark but not for long.

If it's not the therapy you feel works for you, great more for the rest.
But unless you're willing to give up what you do use for relief in exchange for nobody else using cannabis, than keep your nose outta where it don't belong.

Well I thaught I'd throw abit of info out for others, and am interested in finding out when these socalled advocacy groups are actually going to do something usefull for said groups patients, other than getting themselves good jobs in fancy looking buildings and holding fund raisers to keep doing so.

For any interested in Canada, this is an option available to you no matter who likes it or not including any doctors.
The Law has been clear, if you're sick and have your informed consent, nobody can over rule that.

I've been having siezures since I was 9 nearly 30 yrs now.
I tried the poisonous crap they put me on in my youth, just to have them take me off them when they've been found too dangerous to be using anymore n move onto the nxt batch of fancy named poisons.

I don't take a thing now.
Yes I'm a "chronic" user, and NO I do not go through withdrawls of this beniegn physically non addictive treatment when I don't have any, for a day, or a week, or a month, other than the fact that my siezures come back as a result of my body not dealing with stressfull situations well at times.

Oh had a couple basic cannabinoid info links to wiki but just realized I shouldn't be able to post them right?
So I'll just advise doing a quick search for cannabinoids on wiki n starting from there maybe to the endocannabinoid system, etc. etc.
Just to get anyone interested in starting to do actual research and not listen to propaganda and gossip of a bad past "experience"
I'd also suggest doing a basic search for medical cannabis forums and such as this one and read around, maybe get some 1st hand info from ppl with actual experience in this field which, again sorry to the prohibitionists out there, is just going to expand at an incredible rate from here.
Patients aswell as actual caring doctors around the world aren't going to be pushed around by governments or thier nonsense and lies.
This plant will be freed for the most vulnerable of our socalled societies, and civilization.:soap:lol (just had to throw that in;))

If anyone has any questions, or just wants to chat I'm happy to be of any help I can, and will check in to make sure to get back to ppl.
I'm new here but am happy to help anyone.

This is just 1 group of patients in this battle over OUR health.
I'm of the oppinion that the next step in killing this "war" on public security, and our freedoms, is a merging of a multitude of different patients en masse.
1 group at a time is easy to deprive, but the numbers will build and learn to co-operate, and in turn grow even more untill it's undeniable.

cheers all, and I hope everyone is finding relief no matter what works for you,..............................Infinite Concept

Last edited:
Naaaaaah, god forbid someone'd actually have to read to understand the facts on the topic of the thread. lol

It's there, info for those who want any on the subject.
It's perfectly fine with me those who can't be bothered to.

I'm not the 1 shoveling poison down my gullet daily for relief though.

cheers IC

Back
Top Bottom