[News] Marijuana

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

It helps with my jerks, and stress, and most recently my back pain, but I've found that ingesting it, like in a brownie is far more effective as a medicine.

Exactly what i do,no joints,pipes or bongs for me.Ill just buy cake mix and make a batch,chill out and watch a good film.Certainly takes the load of my shoulders so to speak!!!

I have NEVER had a seizure during a time period I was smoking weed. It helps with the side effects of medication too. The lamictal makes me never want to eat, and one of my seizure triggers is skipping meals, so marijuana is the only thing that gives me an appetite. I do want to start making edibles though so I won't have to inhale smoke. Either that or eventually invest in a vaporizer.

vaporizing just means to smoke as much THC as you can without smoking the plant fibers, which cause smoke, which lungs don't like.
It's about minimizing the combustion temperature because the THC turns to vapor at a lower temperature than the combustion temperature of the plant fibers.
Bringing a flame gradually near the material will allow for a variable temperature: the closer the flame, the greater the temperature of the material, the farther, the cooler. Whiter smoke indicates more plant fiber combustion. Feel free to keep that in mind!

vaporizing just means to smoke as much THC as you can without smoking the plant fibers, which cause smoke, which lungs don't like.
It's about minimizing the combustion temperature because the THC turns to vapor at a lower temperature than the combustion temperature of the plant fibers.
Bringing a flame gradually near the material will allow for a variable temperature: the closer the flame, the greater the temperature of the material, the farther, the cooler. Whiter smoke indicates more plant fiber combustion. Feel free to keep that in mind!

So you slowly bring the flame to the edge then?

Any questions about medical marijuana, direct them to me. I've come here to try to help my peoples, epileptics, because I'm guessing a lot of people don't know much about marijuana. I grow it for my epilepsy. I turn it into concentrates. I make food out of it.

And smoking marijuana decreases your risk of lung cancer. If you smoke marijuana you will have a decreased risk of lung cancer. If you smoke tobacco and marijuana, you won't have an increased risk of lung cancer brought on by tobacco.

I haven't been around long enough to post links. Just google "UCLA marijuana cancer" and you'll find my evidence.

Last edited:
And smoking marijuana decreases your risk of lung cancer. If you smoke marijuana you will have a decreased risk of lung cancer. If you smoke tobacco and marijuana, you won't have an increased risk of lung cancer brought on by tobacco.

I haven't been around long enough to post links. Just google "UCLA marijuana cancer" and you'll find my evidence.

I googled UCLA marijuana cancer and all it said is that there is no connection. There is a big difference between marijuana not causing cancer & curing it.

Study Finds No Cancer-Marijuana Connection

Despite not causing cancer there are still numerous health issues such as double the amount of tar compared to cigarettes.
"It is also noteworthy that most tobacco cigarettes currently in use are filter-tipped and have a relatively low tar content, but marijuana cigarettes do not contain filters and generate about twice as much tar as tobacco per unit of weight, assuming a similar smoking profile. Furthermore, the techniques for smoking marijuana and tobacco differ substantially: on the average, with marijuana the inhalation, or "puff," volume is about two-thirds larger, the depth of smoke inhalation about 40% greater, and breath holding about four times longer than those characteristics of tobacco smoking. These differences in filtration and smoking technique can result in about a fourfold greater amount of tar delivered to and retained in the lungs from the smoking of marijuana than from a comparable amount of tobacco, thus potentially amplifying the harmful effects of marijuana on the lungs."(10)

The exposure of the lungs to harmful particulates represents one of two possible health threats provided by marijuana use. The other possible threat is whether or not marijuana smoke affects the lung's ability to protect itself from harmful bacteria and clean itself of the harmful particulates produced by the smoke.

http://www.drugscience.org/Petition/C2B.html

Epileric this is why I came to the forum, because people don't know the real truth.

I've got a link to THE NATIONAL GOVERNMENT CANCER WEBSITE that says THC, the active component in marijuana, is an anti-tumor drug.

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/cam/cannabis/healthprofessional/page4

I have to admit it is an interesting but there are numerous problems. First it only mentions mice & rats, not humans. Also it says the study MAY have protective effects. It doesn't say anything was proven
One study in mice and rats suggested that cannabinoids may have a protective effect against the development of certain types of tumors.[3] During this 2-year study, groups of mice and rats were given various doses of THC by gavage

Secondly, the quoted study used only THC & not the whole plant. As well it stated that it did not cause any pathology, it did not say it "cured" anything like the article you linked to
There were no clinical pathology differences considered to be directly related to the administration of THC
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12594529?dopt=Abstract

Then there's the fact that many of the rats convulsed after being dosed with THC & that is exactly what we're trying to avoid.

Convulsions and seizures were observed in all dosed groups of male and female rats, usually following dosing or handling

As well, this study was done in 1996 and many more studies have shown the opposite in the last 16 years.

Last edited:
You know what happens when you take too much of your AED? You seize. Ever think maybe they gave the rats too much? The most effective use of medical marijuana for epilepsy is taking 2 puffs off a pipe/joint, not getting high.

You just don't know the facts.

I doubt that because they gave them 125, 250, or 500 mg THC/kg body weight yet all of them convulsed. You should read your studies in detail to get all the facts.

The best part is that you put down the anti-tumor claim because it was on rats.
Then you say gotta be careful cause it will make you seize out... even though that was on rats.
Either except the rats data or don't, you can't pick and choose when you use the rats as examples.

Taking extra-lamictal before working out at the gym doesn't do sh*t, I could seize from my core body temperature rising and the combination of fluorescent lights. But if I use my medical marijuana before I go to the gym and exercise, I've never had a seizure.

I'm glad I can live my life thanks to a wonderful plant I can grow at home that doesn't cost a fortune like my lamictal.

Last edited by a moderator:
The best part is that you put down the anti-tumor claim because it was on rats.
Then you say gotta be careful cause it will make you seize out... even though that was on rats.
Either except the rats data or don't, you can't pick and choose when you use the rats as examples.
No, the fact that it's been done on rats means it only a preliminary and has to eventually be done on humans after the same study can be repeated with the same (or very similar) results. The fact that it caused seizures in rats doesn't mean it will in humans but by the same token, we should be careful.

Taking extra-lamictal before working out at the gym doesn't do sh*t, I could seize from my core body temperature rising and the combination of fluorescent lights. But if I use my medical marijuana before I go to the gym and exercise, I've never had a seizure.

I'm glad I can live my life thanks to a wonderful plant I can grow at home that doesn't cost a fortune like my lamictal.

Everyone reacts differently to different AED's. As well everyone has different triggers for seizures. Just because it doesn't do anything for you doesn't mean it won't work for others. As well there are other pharmaceuticals that may work better for you.

Just a general comment... let's keep it civil folks. Passionate differences of opinion (or points of view) are fine, but please be respectful of others when presenting your thoughts.

The tests on humans aren't going to get done unless we do them ourselves. GSK or Pfizer or whoever isn't going to get rich treating you when you're growing your medicine for yourself at home.

I guess I'm a proponent of getting with the times and take control of your own life. The government and medical system is failing us. I have three friends who just finished med school this year and I wouldn't recommend anyone to go see them. None of them have a desire to help people. They just want money and respect for having "Dr." in front of their name because they've been looked down on as "nerds" their whole life. This attitude comprises pretty much every doctor around except for a few in my opinion.

My friend's neighbor just bought a new $800,000 hybrid porsche. This guy OWNS hospitals. Healthcare shouldn't be for profit IMHO.

Last edited by a moderator:
The tests on humans aren't going to get done unless we do them ourselves.
There are some studies out there. See: http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q...=3gB_T675Iejn0QGBg4mbCA&sqi=2&ved=0CB4QgQMwAA

Some studies are trying to figure out the body's internal sedative system (endogenous opioids). Marijuana helps because it mimics these opioids, but it would be even more efficient if there were ways to marshall them do the trick without external supplementation of any sort (whether marijuana or traditional AED).

I understand the frustrations with the existing medications for epilepsy -- they all have side effects, and can be expensive without (or even with) health insurance. But for many, these medications are a lifesaver in terms of providing seizure control, and I'm glad they exist. Marijuana is no different from the other meds, in that it can help some folks but not others, and causes side effects for some and not others. If it's readily accessible to you and helps with your seizures, that's terrific; it might or might not be a good fit for other folks.

Marijuana law reformed in British Columbia, Canada

A B.C. Supreme Court judge has struck down a section of Canada's medical marijuana laws that said licensed users cannot possess pot cookies or marijuana body creams.

Justice Robert Johnston ruled the federal medical marijuana access regulation that allows permitted users to only possess dried marijuana is unconstitutional on Friday in Victoria.

The court challenge stems from the case of Owen Smith, who was charged with trafficking for baking pot cookies and producing topical cannabis creams for a medical marijuana club in Victoria in 2009.

Health Canada allows people suffering from debilitating illnesses to have access to marijuana for medical purposes. They can get the marijuana through Health Canada or they can get permission to grow it themselves.

But Smith's lawyer Kirk Tousaw successfully argued there is a contradiction in the law, which allows the designated users to smoke marijuana but prohibits them from turning it into any other product.

However, Justice Johnston also ruled even though Smith's constitutional rights were breached by the regulation, he will still have to stand trial for trafficking because he may have been producing the products for people who weren't permitted users.

Prohibition on medical pot cookies unconstitutional

i believe in it it keeps out of the restroom sick but i have a license and i believe in use for my e to help with side effects and it kept my best friend alive for an extra 6 months when he had cancer.but still believe also in aeds dont like to take them but if i want to stay alive i have to.never endorse buying or selling of drugs though.

I disagree with the use of marijuana entirely.

Not just because it makes me batsh!t paranoid but because anytime we're taking something that isn't native to our system and introducing it through a means and channel(smoking) which we're not supposed to, you have to be careful where you're treading because you're in dark waters. I know for a FACT that chronic marijuana use completely DESTROYS memory. So anything that is going to DEGRADE my brain, as an Epileptic, I need to stay away from. I've got some crossed wires up there anyway, let's not go about smacking things around with a hammer while I'm trying to fix the mess.

PS: Yes, I know that there is an unbelievably small trace amount of THC natural in everyone's body - but there's all kinds of radioactive materials in us as well at those kind of barely-there quantities...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom