[News] Marijuana

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

lol...try to enjoy...one of my brothers went out to vacation in California and decided to stay after finding a job...so? Its kind of funny I heard with the right medical prescription card you can get marijuana from vending machines...what next?...lol

Lmao

Yeah, well I guess the goverment is realizing they can make a few billion off this, but now they've stopped it to were u can go pick up ur prescription in VA now I have to travel 6 hours. OH well its worth it it completly helps keep me calm; and really helps to lower my seizures. So am I grateful god put this herb on earth for us to use yes.

That is cool...I did not know in VA it is legal...medically, thanks. I believe in the not to distant future it will attainable everywhere.

I am not an anti weed zealot. Let me just say that first. Because there are a lot of them out there and it can be hard to tell unless the person makes it really clear where they're coming from.

I never smoked pot in my life until my early 30s and then I quit because I was worried about getting in trouble. I did it for recreation. My medication had been very effective at controlling my seizures up to that point. Shortly after I quit, I begin having many breakthrough seizures. Though I enjoyed smoking MJ and had many amazing experiences, I wish I hadn't. I'm not positive this caused me to lose some of the seizure control that I'd had but it is very suspicious that it happened right after I quit.

I personally don't think it's worth it if you have good control with standard meds. My seizure control has been much worse since I quit in 05.

hi

I have tried every seizure med out on the market I even had a Vagus nerve stimulator put in u know it being my luck it was recalled in 2006 it was implanted in 2008 and my generator was taking out in 2009 a whole year of my life I don't remember. So to me I've tried everything MAN MADE NOW LETS GIVE IT A SHOT ON WHAT GOD PUT HERE. I have had seizures (gran-mal) since I was 4 hours old. Even though I didn't start to smoke when I was in my late 20's, it helps lower my seizures ALOT. Everyone is wired differently, that's the problem no 2 people are alike. I wish u the best of luck and I'm very sorry u had breakthrough seizures, no seizures are fun or feel good. God Bless and I hope it only gets better for u.:e: :noevil:

Thanks

I know my messages in the past have been kinda of wacky or out of place, I am slowly getting back to myself; (occupational, speech and cognitive theraphy are all a big help.

Start again to see if you gain control, that would make a statment for or against it!

okay started to see a natural neurologist who prescribes marijuana for seizures and multiple other factors. I have to drive for a hour get my meds as they call them in a metal can seeled and prerolled. N yes they are helping am I abusing NO I use only as needed. Trust me or if u don't trust our ancestors who used what god put here as medicine instead of calling it a drug good lord alcohol does more damage than lighting up a good goverment grown stuff. Correct? If I stand corrected so be it but i'm here n alive i might not sleep alot, but i'm here physically n mentally. God Bless n peace out
Sincerely,
Kimberly :e: :e:

Nice, glad to hear that people are aware that God has put plants on this earth that can cure all our ills. God is Great! The Peace of Christ to you! Hope thats not to heavy for you.

just wanted to say...

In NorCal it occurred to me, maybe someone told me, I don't know, but if the gov can demonize herb then they can demonize cotton candy. Seriously.

The movie Reefer Madness? If people are ignorant, they take it seriously. If people are knowledgable, they laugh at it. It was made, though, as serious propaganda.

The whole drug war is a racist mess. I'm all frustrated. I really should be working on some toons or painting or writing, but I've got some block, just been lying around reading Octavia E. Butler. I wish she wasn't dead, I want more books by her. If I were Oankali I could just make another Octavia and say, "Write, and I will give you pleasure." Then some X-rated stuff would ensue.

How could somthing with sooo... many potenial benfits be bad?

I hope that i don't step on anyones toes, and i don't even know why i just read through this entire thread, but i wanted to correct a few misconceptions about the big M.

First, Mj is NOT illegal IF you have a permit from the US govt. With that being said, the law states that you can not have it in your possetion without the permit ( i think it is an actual stamp) BUT in order to recieve the stamp you have to bring part of your crop down and have it examined by a federal authority. Thus you are breaking the law in order to get permission to grow by having it in your possetion (i know my spelling is off... sorry). It is a catch 22 law, and this was the law that made it illegal have. So technically it is not completely illegal, but goodluck not being put in jail trying to get that permit.

Mj does have anti-convulsant properties, BUT like any other medication.. who on here can say that any 1 thing has worked for all of us? Also... think about all of your AEDs, if you take too much of them, they will cause you to sieze, the same is true of Mj.

MANY states have either decriminalized or legalized the use of Mj for various medical conditions, Glaucoma and Epilepsy being two that are across the board along with persons undergoing chemo and radiation treatments.

As someone stated already, there is a difference between use and abuse. There ARE some serious side affects (but what meds don't have side effects.)

I think that if you are honest with your doc, be careful and try it. Seriously ( and i have learned this from this board and i thank all who have posted about it) if someone told me at the beginning of this year.. shoot a few months ago that there was a possibility of lessening the effects of siezures or completely ridding yourself of them through either diet or "training" your brain... i would have said your off your rocker~! No seriously I would have. I am thankfull i have found this site... BECAUSE i now know there are a lot of other things that i need to try, before i resort to surgery.

Lastly, I don't think that Mj is given the proper research funding, because of the stigma attatched to it. Sorry in my opinion rats do not count. It was listed as a sched 1 drug a long time ago, and people are hard to change thier ways. Yes it is addicting (so isn't morphine and other drugs). In my own oppinion, if it were used under a docs supervision, we could actually begin to learn who it may and may not benifet and go from with some evidence to back it up.

K i am done... sorry if it was too long. BTW i am not advocating by any means, I believe it should be discussed with your doctor before starting it, for those that it has helped and your docs don't know... come clean with them... it could help some of us that want to, but are afraid of legal ramifactions! k now i am really done! :)

Last edited:
I know of no drug, or anything for that matter, that doesn't have efficacy on a personal level.
All science does is narrow down possibilities into those which are likely.

besides, who cares?

alcohol is not safe, but it is legal
corn syrup is not safe, but it is in everything
guns are not safe, but they protect personal freedoms
laws like the ones regarding marijuana are not safe, because they destroy personal freedoms
keeping marijuana controlled is not safe, because it eliminates use of the plant for a multitude of uses, many of which are essential for reversing the effects of global warming, which is not safe, in the grandest of all senses of the word

You only have to look as far as Holland,where it is legal to buy and smoke in their"coffee houses"There doesnt seem to be any problems over there,chtist the Swizz give heroin addicts clean pharmacutical heroin to stop them scoring on the streets,and guess what it works over there,perhaps a couple of countrys have the march on us.

You only have to look as far as Holland,where it is legal to buy and smoke in their"coffee houses"There doesnt seem to be any problems over there,chtist the Swizz give heroin addicts clean pharmacutical heroin to stop them scoring on the streets,and guess what it works over there,perhaps a couple of countrys have the march on us.

I'm more in regard for what worked in America until the lumber lobby (a business lobby in D.C. fouling things up? who would have imagined!) in the 1920s ramrodded ludicrous legislation into law based on absurd "scientific" data.

"..~rosebud~.."

Damned if you, damned if you don't.

During the last Epilepsy comference I attended, someone in the audience asked about marijuana. The neurologists were from Stanford University, very impressive credentials, blah, blah, blah... Their reply was, "There was one very bad side effect from using marijuana, jail time."

Snakes on a plane. :wink:

one of the major suspects of seizures I've found to be continually addressed is STRESS

I wonder how restricting one's rights by threat of incarceration helps alleviate stress - I know for a fact that smoking marijuana alleviates stress levels
being concerned about incarceration does not

make guns illegal and I bet there would be a heck of a lot more seizures also

I'm new so until I saw this thread I wasn't sure if cannabis could be brought up.

I just thought I would add that cannabis seems to have an affect on my Girlfriends seizures.

I'm not sure in which way though. I can't think of one time in the 3 years, since she was diagnosed an instance of her having a seizure when she's been smoking.

If she stops suddenly, within the week she will be having a Grand Mal (the only type she has).

I'm not sure if these seizures could be a withdrawal symptom or simply "normal" with out cannabis.

Obviously if it is withdrawals (I don't even know if it's a possible withdrawal) she would be better to stop.

I went through a phase of believing it was a withdrawal symptom but when she stopped smoking for months, she was still having grand mals approx once a month.

She is still having the odd seizure but as I said, it seems to be when she has been out of weed for a few days.

Either way I guess it's a sign that her meds aren't controlling her seizures.

It's a toss up for me. I've only had the 2 grand malls and one was when I was smoking daily and the other was when I hadn't smoked for several weeks. This one did happen the day after a concert and binge drinking. I started meds a week later.

I did have an episode last summer- I was at a sublime/311 concert and was high as a kite. I went for a walk by myself then found myself in the men's bathroom line. I was getting some weird looks, lol. I semi panicked and walked away totally lost, confused and scared. I've been to this familiar venue 50+ times.

So who knows... But I enjoy it and it helps me relax. :)

I was in the Dam two months ago. Never once did I see any law enforcement. It surprised me, especially along the red light district!!! I thought I'd atleast see 1 policeman, lol.

Back
Top Bottom