[News] Marijuana

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

So frustrating when they throw a rider on, and force them to accept or deny both at same time. I look forward to the day it is legalized.

CBD oil, vaped, is considered the most effective for seizures AND thanks to new laws, CBD oil is Legal in all 50 states. It has no THC so it cannot get you high.

Two, I read that eating cannabis the cannabinoids bypass the hippocampus, so if you have TLE you don't actually want to eat it as you won't get as many benefits that way.
And CBD oil is available on Amazon (they sell everything). The vape is good but they also sell tinctures which are meant to be taken as a sub lingual and absorbed through the membranes that way. The tinctures can get you a lot more CBD bang for your buck.

The Washington Post did a story mentioning how promising it looks for epilepsy. It's still rather preliminary but the research is being done (at least in Israel).
Neurologists who have been monitoring 67 children with intractable epilepsy at four medical centers reported “promising” results last week at an epilepsy conference in Tel Aviv.

Avigael Ka’atabi said her 15-year-old epileptic son, Eden, once suffered continual seizures so severe that he needed a helmet. After Eden’s neurologist prescribed cannabis oil in May, his seizures dropped by half, she said.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/middle_east/israeli-medical-marijuana-creates-buzz-but-no-high-will-it-go-global/2015/01/31/558fe072-a19a-11e4-9f89-561284a573f8_story.html?wprss=rss_middle-east

Indeed it is :)

New CBD-Rich Strain ‘Avidekel’, Sets New Medicinal Standards with 15.8% CBD & 1% THC

This strain possibly usurps Charlotte's Web as the #1 CBD strain (though it has about .5% more THC- boohoo lol) :)

I've seen figures of 18% / 1% for their other strain 'Raphael' - but I haven't been able to verify those.

There was a huge news-splash about 'Avidekel' with big studies done using it, so I think it's safe to be confident of it's claimed stats.

Last edited:
It's great news- but so far the prices for these seeds are *mental* compared to even the best well-known cup winning THC seeds. I've see prices quoted in the past from various seed traders as high as $300 each (that's around 38x higher). :(

Seems like the strains are getting there, but don't let anyone tell you such developers are doing it out of love..

It's similar to the ridiculous prices for CBD oil on places like Amazon.

'It's all about the Benjamins' :mad:

Last edited:
I'm still unsure what CBD oil *is*, if anyone could enlighten me.

SlimBlue from my understanding -and I certainly could be wrong- the List prices are that high, to reap money from those who Can afford that, and then they give seeds away to those who can't afford. If that is true, I can get behind that.

Important Correction I just learned CBD oil is NOT legal in all 50 states, as advertised. It's legal to manufacture and sell with no THC; but it's not legal to buy or have shipped to you in every state. Plus, further research has stated the most effective CBD oil for seizures has a THC content, in majority of cases. So.

Indeed- there's a lot of misleading info regarding CBD as well as the recent legislation over there.

And yes, there's certainly a lot of anecdotal evidence at least that CBD is either ineffective for some people without a small quantity of THC present, or in fact works much much better with THC and/or THC-A present.

I would be wary of paying the high prices for pure CBD products available currently.

and then they give seeds away to those who can't afford. If that is true, I can get behind that.

The Stanley brothers do freely/cheaply provide the product for certain people in desperate situations, but have been quoted time and time again as not willing to release seeds or clones.

They have however also been quoted as saying they will eventually be released to seedbanks.

Mind you, it's a bit of moot point now, as CW stopped being the 'best' CBD strain a while ago, and there are much better strains (and more importantly, their seeds) now available.

I do realise that CW is important in the US though, as much of the recent legislation specifically names that one strain only, whilst other (better) strains are still illegal.

Thanks very much for taking the time to correct your post after doing more research and realising some of it was incorrect. I wish more internet users did that. :)

Last edited:
Thanks very much for taking the time to correct your post after doing more research and realising some of it was incorrect. I wish more internet users did that. :)

I also use Snopes to verify "Shocking Facts" before I post, no chain letters. Maybe we could get That to go Viral, lol

Wish I had done more research before I posted. I only did 'first level' research, then got excited and shared. Won't happen again.

Last edited:
I've had mixed results with the CBD products. The capsules seem to be effective at least for helping me sleep (nocturnal seizures). The tinctures vary greatly from brand to brand. Some are good but some have too much other stuff like glycerine and sweeteners in them to really have much active stuff.
The most concentrated brand I've found is called Endoca (based out of L.A.) My experiences with buying it have been as a resident of California and then of Hawaii, both of which are completely fine with it as a supplement. Just out of curiosity, which states are not so enlightened?

I also use Snopes to verify "Shocking Facts" before I post, no chain letters. Maybe we could get That to go Viral, lol

Wish I had done more research before I posted. I only did 'first level' research, then got excited and shared. Won't happen again.

Snopes FTW :)

As much as I love the net, it can be hard trying to dig out the facts. Especially with so many sites, just scraping info from one and reposting it.

I'm sure we've all done the same thing many times- it's just the way the modern net is, I guess.

If you see the same info on loads of sites, it's perfectly reasonable to accept it as fact- god knows that's caught me out a fair few times :roflmao:

Reposted from the 'If You Have To Have E Somwhere....' thread:

I would pay the postage for the seeds and a donation toward the project. Seriously.

So, you have the means to test a given plant and determine the CBD/TCH ratio? How do you do that?

p.s. I had a really bad night last night. Two grand mals and not much restful sleep. The thought that someone is monopolizing such an important medical advancement for the loot is indeed sickening.

Last edited:
First, thanks for your kind offer, but no donation required. I wouldn't want to be seen as a 'dealer' lol (though it is legal to sell/give out MJ seeds in the UK).

However, I'm not so sure of the legality of posting them to Molokai :p

Second, there are quite simple test kits available using Thin Layer Chromatography, that I would be happy to use for a homegrown strain, though obviously for commercial strains- or a strain I was selling seeds for- a more in-depth technique such as Gas-liquid chromatography would be required.

Third, I'm sorry you were so ill last night :(

Maybe I was a bit harsh on the CW developers- they have a right to earn money. It's just there are a lot of people crying out for such high CBD strain seeds- which can be extremely hard to get- and we have been waiting very patiently for a number of years for them to release it.

I wonder how many more people could have benefited from it, if there were wide-spread access to the seeds available?

Last edited:
I guess it is just taking supply a while to catch up with demand. For decades the demand has been for the biggest buzz possible so all the growers have been selectively breeding for the TCH. The ragweed folks used to smoke back in the day is not nearly as strong as the modern strain.

There is a traveling doctor here in Hawaii who comes by my island every few months and does evaluations to get people set up with the official medical card. I asked him if he knew of any growers who are specializing in the CW strain and he seemed surprised that someone actually wanted to get less stoned.

If you won't accept a donation, how about a free place to stay in Hawaii?

According to all the websites selling seeds (which can be a bit shady i agree) it is legal to post the seeds just not the plants. Not sure if that applies only within the US however.

That sounds like some very interesting testing process. Thanks for that info.

And thanks for the concern. It is nice to be able to talk to people in this zombie day state without actually having to talk (sore tongue).

I predict- with the current climate of change- soon, growing CBD strains for licensed medical suppliers (or eventually, personal consumption) will overtake the amount of THC weed grown illegally.

Who knows? This might be just the start of the slippery slope to complete legality for all MJ (though I doubt it lol) and hemp will become the largest crop grown in the US..

Well, one can dream ;)

A place to stay on holiday? I think you've just made a deal there! If it turns out any good- I'll name the strain AlohaBird :)

I know exactly what you mean about not wanting to speak while you're all befuddled. Sometimes it's just as hard to type- but nobody is ever going to correct your spelling/grammar on here, after a bad night- or ever lol

God I love this place :)

Last edited:
Wow. Having a strain of pot named after me? I'm so very honored.

I'm a retired English professor so for me, it just chafes to not get the typing correct but it is hard on days like this. I notice nobody around here much cares. That's a good thing.

Tell me more about the testing process to determine the CBD/TCH content. How does it work in layman's term (if possible)?

:roflmao: I'm glad I never had that question in an exam :p

Well if Charlotte Figgi can have a strain named after her, why not you? :)

I'm not sure I'll be able to describe it much more simply than the wiki link above- it's really not my area of expertise lol- I'll just rely on a basic kit to do it at the start :)

Basically, the compounds in the sample you wish to test are broken down using a solvent, which is allowed to move up the glass plate it's resting on that has an absorbent applied to it. As different chemicals will break down at different rates, the absorbent traps them at different heights up the plate.

When the final reagent is applied to it, it can be studied to see where various colour spots are, and how deep/weak the color is, thus determining what's there, and how strong it is.

There's a massive step missed out there, but think of it as being similar in a kind of way to doing a litmus test, or using universal indicator.

The massive step I've left out involves the vapours from the solvent being allowed to affect gas in a sealed container, which can then be further broken down, and using a specific reagent determine a rough %

I wont be doing that step though- as the testing kits come with a handy colour chart of the various canabinoids at different %s, with which you can compare the color strength of your sample to, to work out it's % ;)

Phew lol

Last edited:
This first crop is only the start of a long process of breeding- it took the Stanley brothers 2 years before they had decent results.

Mind you, as much stronger CBD strains are available now than the ones they originally crossbred (harlequin and sour tsunami), if I use those as the parents I'll probably be able to get a CBD % of at least 10%, but it's much harder to reduce THC during breeding than it is to increase CBD.

However, I'll be happy with about 5% THC in my strain coz not only am I convinced CBD will work better with all the oids present (nobody knows for sure how they really work, so I say leave it as nature intended) I like to have a very mellow low level buzz from my meds :roflmao:

All I'm really doing is just cross breeding 2 current CBD-high strains. As I get my hands on others, I'll keep crossbreeding just like the Stanleys did, and see how deep the rabbit hole goes :)

I will probably do a version crossed with Blueberry though lol as I love it :p

On that other thread about Hawaii we were talking about the richness of the volcanic soil here. Do you think that soil nutrient content has any influence on how your plants turn out?
Perhaps my tropical paradise would be a perfect "hot house".

OMG yes- that's why I instantly recommended it lol

It will make a great organic base to grow in, that hopefully wont require the adding of extra inorganics to 'cheat'.

A bit of organic feed, and lots of sunshine, and they'll be fantastic quality - I'm truly jealous lol

Do you think that soil nutrient content has any influence on how your plants turn out?

AlohaBird, I know NOTHING about gardening, I want to state that before I say this. I have been studying things about nutrition, life, connectedness, and patterns... I would have to say a resounding YES. The nutrition of the mother both during and Before pregnancy affects the health of the baby. So many things in this world imitate other things, including patterns of life. If your soil is lacking in nitrogen, you can see it in the plants, right? It seems logical to conclude that rich, nutrient-dense soil would produce the best, healthiest plants. When looking at health benefits of said plants, again it seems a logical conclusion to me, the better the soil, the better the benefits of plants grown in that soil.

p.s.- I've always wanted an Ice Cream named after me :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom