Medic Alert Bracelets - Do you wear one?

Do you wear a medical alert bracelet with information about your epilepsy/meds?

• Yes

Votes: 173 44.6%
  • No

Votes: 184 47.4%
  • I've never thought about that!

Votes: 31 8.0%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

medi alert

i wear a necklace as my epilepsy is not controlled & i feel safer with it on :noevil:

I once ask a paramedic if they ever checked my necklace they said I came out of the seizure to fast.
So I stopped wearing it.I use to wear a bracelet but it broke when I fell down stairs running for subway.

Belinda

Hi Belinda,

I have a real strong metal bracelet. I have some violent seizures. It has never broken once. Tell Medic Alert the problem and ask for a stronger metal. They have them.

I am sorry you fell down the stairs. My doctor always told me, "Think before you do something." That included just stepping off of a sidewalk. It is dangerous for us to run down stairs. We have to walk downstairs. Leave earlier!! I know you cannot always do that. Easier said than done. Take care!!

Ruth

The bracelet I wear is snug with a velcro strap. It's called a "sports bracelet" but I find it more comfortable than something that flops & it doesn't get caught on things that can rip it off.

Attachments

• MedBclt 002.jpg
    MedBclt 002.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 4
  • MedBclt 003.jpg
    MedBclt 003.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 5
Hi Epileric, thank you for showing us what it looks like. It is snug. I have a bracelet that has a very tight wristband so nothing can get caught in it. Having a bracelet or necklace that can get loose might hurt you in a seizure.
Ruth

medi stick

a high tech medic alert. wear a computer chip that can be plugged into any computer giving all vital info to emergeny personel.

Hi Kelso54,

Is it already in existence? It sounds like a great idea. I will call up Medic-Alert about this one. Thank you for the info.
Ruth

I have needed to get one. I have just been so busy I forgot about it. my bad. So I will get on that soon. A few appointments first.

I dotn have one witch ones are the best?

I would have thought that "best" would depend on what you like/prefer in a bracelet.

Try checking out this & other threads re. medical bracelets & see if that gives you the information you're looking for.

To me, the best Medic-Alert bracelets are those that are sturdy. Mine is made out of tight metal and does not fall off or break when I have a seizure. Ruth

Mine is from sticky j too, and the surgical steel plaque, on the front, says "EILEPSY, Remove strap and see other side".

And on the back I have my name, Phone#, meds I am on, that I have asthma and a message not to give me any narcotics.

Anyone Know if I can get a cheap one in the UK? The only ones I can find cost about £60, and I can't afford that. Really would like one as I am severely allergic to a lot of antibiotics as well as my E, and I would like to be able to put that on one, last time I had a seizure and got took to hospital, they gave me penicillin in the drip before I was awake enough to tell them, and I went into anaphylactic shock!

Hi Loudmouth,

Mine was to expensive for me, as well. I felt that the cost was worth it. I am severly allergic to some medications. One almost killed me, it is a common medicine and is used in emergencies. Mine has the phone # for doctors and my family to contact. Medic Alert also has the exact medicines that I am on.

Antibiotics are also commonly given out in an emergency. If you cannot speak for yourself and do not have family there, it could be a disaster for you.

You can try the link that moonchild has, maybe it will be less costly for you.

Something interesting about my medic alert necklace ID.
A few days ago, the 5th of Septmeber I had a seizure in the morning. My friend called 911 since my doctor told me too since my seizures were getting worse even though I changed Keppra to Keppra XR. Probably had seizure due to lack of sleep and the med change.
Anyways- the EMT found it on the counter and my friend gave it to me. i asked why do I need to put that on now? They know what happened becuase you told them I had a seizure. I was still postictal but not severe.
EMT guy said "Why aren't you waring it?". I said "Becuase I was asleep- I usually like to take it off when I sleep since its a necklace." They didnt respond but it made me think that if I were to have another EMS called out while I was sleeping, or not out of bed yet etc- they would be looking for it especially if my friend or twin sis weren't there or didnt give them my info.
They needed to know a lot of things before taking me away. My ID has everything they would need to know.
I am lucky to have such a good friend- she knows a lot about me which helped. She also has epilepsy as does my twin. My friend has an ID but my twin does not- she is working on getting one soon.
I think its IMPORTANT to have one if your seizures are not well controlled or if your on medications or have multiple disabilities..

Everyone take care,
Crystal

Hi crystal,

I bought a bracelet for that reason. When I had a necklace, I took it off at night or when I was taking a nap. Maybe you should think about getting a bracelet.

Ruth- I have a medic alert ID collection pretty much LOL. I have everything from ID dog tag made of stainless steel to really nice sterling silver braclets from Medic Alert Co. and two solid sterling silver necklaces from American Medical ID. I choose which one I would rather ware depending on type of clothing I ware.
In the winter time its harder to ware a necklace with thick clothing on so I usually ware a bracelet- Sometimes when I ware a t-shirt I can always ware my necklace. I ware my braclet when I go swimming or just don't want to ware my ID.
When I met the President I chose to ware my bracelet since it was such a formal event- the shirt I wore was a button-up shirt and it would mean putting my ID under my shirt. It makes me itch so I ware my bracelet instead.

I've been waring IDs for 10 years now so I have several to choose from by now. LOL

Take care everyone
Crystal

Hi Crystal, You really do have a collection. I just have the bracelet. It is nice to have more than one. Like you said, you can wear which one you want depending on the occasion. That is great!!

Back
Top Bottom