Medic Alert Bracelets - Do you wear one?

Do you wear a medical alert bracelet with information about your epilepsy/meds?

• Yes

Votes: 173 44.6%
  • No

Votes: 184 47.4%
  • I've never thought about that!

Votes: 31 8.0%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Problem is... ER does nothing, except tests and sends you packing.

That may be true if you are only having one off seizures, but if you are status (having multiple seizures back to back without full recovery in between), they will administer meds intraveneously to stop the seizures.

I bought a dogtag style neckchain for my son & he wears it every time he leaves the house. Makes us both feel a little better.

I have one in my purse it says epilepsy.... I wont ware it tho.... also carry a card in my purse that has my meds on it doctors ect typ of e i have stuff like that just incase

Love angel

I have a medic alert card as well which came with my bracelet. I keep the card in my wallet and it has my medical details - what meds I'm on, my neurologists contact details and my parents contact details.

OOPS sorry pilot error-- As I was saying the EMTs are trained to IV the right arm because of the uniformity and setup of equiptment. She also recomended that it not look too much like jewelry so as not to be overlooked. I would rather just tell anyone who asks that it is an allergy problem and they usually drop it. Do medical personnel miss it sometimes but not often and as soon as they reach for the arm they see it- it is a small peace of mind .:rolleyes:

Boy am I messin up. What I started (then lost) was that I never take my medic alert bracelet off. I even have a sticker on my windshield on my car. I had an anaphylactic reaction to some cough med (too many meds make you super sensitive to everything else) and went blind for two weeks+. I wear it and keep it updated.

well, nooooooo

I have once before, but I broke out so badly, it was worse than when I had poison ivy! So, I tried again a few years later, painted it in clear nail polish......same problem! Now, there's NO POSSIBLE WAY to list my issues on one tag.....

Meetz:rolleyes:;):D

I have once before, but I broke out so badly, it was worse than when I had poison ivy! So, I tried again a few years later, painted it in clear nail polish......same problem! Now, there's NO POSSIBLE WAY to list my issues on one tag.....

Meetz:rolleyes:;):D

Sounds like you have a common nickel allergy. I think they put nickel in almost all non-precious metal jewlery You may have to get either a gold or silver bracelet. The higher the gold content the less chance for allergic reaction.

Why not use leather? :bondage:

Why not use leather? :bondage:

Still wouldn't work unless the medalion is gold or silver. Nickel sensitivy would still be triggered. My hubby has a mild sensitivty in summer when he's sweating more, so he just alternates his wrists to wear his watch, he has a leather band too.

Canadian Medic Alert Foundation, I assume the American one, provides a card with more info on it and a phone number. The phone number and your id number are also on the tag itself so that emergency personnel can call for more information than is on your bracelet or the card. I don't know if emergency personnel have used my bracelet or not, I've been awake enough, or my husband has been around to answer questions. It's just nice to know that it's there if I need it.

Take Care

Maureen

Med Alert

I just recently started thinking about wearing one as I had a seizure at my new place of work, and even though I told them I had Epilepsy, nobody knew what was going on. If anyone has a good link to someplace to get one on-line, post it. Thanks.

Hi,

Sorry, I didn't notice where you are located. The Canadian Medic Alert Foundation has a website, get all the info and can order on-line. Elsewhere, I'm sure there are similar organizations, check the web or the phone book.

Also, there are some available in drugstores and pharmacies. I don't like those. They don't feel as good quality. They do not provide an information card, they do not have a phone number for medical personnel to call for more information. Medic Alert costs a bit more but I feel that it's definitely worth it!

Maureen

Bernard,
No, I do not. As I now have to walk, bus, rapid transit to work it would probably be a good idea in case I have a problem during my daily travels. Any idea where one would buy a bracelet and what sort of information should be on the bracelet?
Thanks
Mike

Gail,
Thank you. Any suggestions on what information should be on this bracelet.
Take care,
Mike

Hey guys, Medic Alert is my recommendation- they put the most crucial info first- you have 5 lines but the important thing is that the number to call is toll free and when medical personnel call it gives them everything from conditions to meds to family or docs to call. They recently added a sticker for my car plus the card they give you is like a credit card and it includes all meds and allergies to meds - the nurses love it because nobody gets writer's cramp putting it on yet another form, they just copy the back and that's it. As I have stated before I have it on 24/7 and would not be without::tup:

The idea is to communicate the condition of epilepsy and current medications to medical personnel (EMTs). If you are always in touch with whoever is watching your child, I wouldn't think it necessary (though it wouldn't hurt anything).

I always tried to keep identification on my kids. If there was a car wreck, how would rescue people know who to contact? (or any other situation where the care taker was incapacitated)

I got tags for their shoes with my name and address as well as another emergency contact. As they have gotten older, I insist they have id on them. Maybe I worry too much, but it is good to be prepared. I also make my husband keep my name and phone number(s) in his wallet in case something happened. (early in our marriage he was hospitalized and was unable to contact me until a day and a half later) I had no idea where he was or what happened.

Probably won't need it, but like others said, it certainly doesn't hurt.
Especially with epilepsy or other medical conditions.

Back
Top Bottom