Medic Alert Bracelets - Do you wear one?

Do you wear a medical alert bracelet with information about your epilepsy/meds?

• Yes

Votes: 173 44.6%
  • No

Votes: 184 47.4%
  • I've never thought about that!

Votes: 31 8.0%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I am slack as it eould proberly help alot in some cases for someone that isnt aware what the situation and the deal is......

I just remember back to when i was at school when i did have a bracelet everyone at school would continually ask what it was for so after being hassled so much at school i began not to wear it...

I do have an anklet that i do wear but i dont wear it often... and i did have a bracelett but i found the bracelett to annoy me and catch on things

I am not sure what type design or how the ones look that you have where you reside but I think if they were made more comfortable and designed more like a peice of jewellry more people of many varying health condtions would wear them...

I got my Medic Alert bracelet from the Australian Medic Alert Foundation. http://www.medicalert.com.au/

I was just looking at the American Medic Alert Foundation website and looks like you have a wider variety of Medic Alert products in America then we do over here.

I think our Medic Alert Foundation only has bracelets (in a variety of bands) or necklaces which you can get in either gold or silver.

Son won't wear bracelet

I wanted to order a bracelet for my son, Joey, as he has Chronic Asthma and was recently diagnosed with Epilepsy, but he said he would be too embarrassed to wear it.

(He actually said if I bought him one, he'd burn it! He hasn't accepted the Epilepsy yet.)

Dog tags may be a better idea, as they're worn under the shirt.

Thanks for the website URLs.

-- Susana

I use to have one of the necklaces. I think when I was 16 I gave it to this girl I would never see again. Ha Ha. Man, how funny is that. Hormones and puppy love at its best.

I don't think I would wear one If I had one anyways. I have no problem talking about E and my other conditions, but I don't like being a walking billboard for having health issues.

Hey all .. these look really cool for the younger set.

http://www.laurenshope.com/

I bought a leather bracelet for my daughter and put her name, Epilepsy and my husband's and my cell phone numbers. I chose to not put the medicine on it because she is on her fourth, and it still might change.

RobiN, I'd wear that Mood Bead Bracelet, and you can change the bracelets to match your outfit. Now someone it really thinking on this one!

I'm gonna look at this site a bit more, I think I just may change my vote!
:woot:

Medic alert Watches

I have been wearing one but the two times I was picked up by an ambulance they didn't notice it at all. I complained to the Medic alert people, hospital paying the bill, and the ambulance people. It seems like they were too busy and they wrote down the wrong medication I was taking as well. They need to be educated more is all I can say about the medic alert watches. April:twocents:

Hi April - Welcome, glad that you joined in the conversation here.
That is what I have found too. My daughter wears one, but never has been asked to show it. I don't put the medication on the tag for just that reason. I like it because I have told her friends that my number is on it, that way they don't have to go searching for it.

I'm guessing the ID jewelry (eg medic alert bracelets) for people with medical problems is different in the way the information is stored.

On the inside of my medic alert bracelet it has Epilepsy,the ph# for the Australian Medic Alert Foundation & my membership #.

My Medic Alert card which comes with the bracelet has my membership #, my details, next of kin details, Neuro's details, blood group, any medical conditions i have and the medication i am on. It also has a spot for allergies & other information & date it was issued.

Every year I have to pay to have a very small amount & get sent out a new medic alert card. This way if anything changes with my details (eg my meds then it can added onto my card).

That would be a nice service. I have not heard of that here in the states.
I am sure there is something that the legal system would find fault with.

Robin, Medic Alert does have that very thing. It gives 5 lines plus your id number, and the number to call collect for all the details such as meds and dr's as well as family to notify. It has been my experiance that when changes are needed a new card is sent and so far I have never been charged although I am a lifetime member and that was around a hundred bucks if I remember correctly. For me it has been a little security for a nominal fee over all.:twocents:

Hi Cq....

I have the same bracelet as you, I think we have my information stored on ours compared to that in the US....

But hey Have you seen how much more they have to choose from in there's

We need to get them to make ours more funky then maybe more will where them,,,,,,,,,

nice to see another Aussie on here.... They for sure have better form and support sites....

Take care everyone

Hi Cq....

I have the same bracelet as you, I think we have my information stored on ours compared to that in the US....

But hey Have you seen how much more they have to choose from in there's

We need to get them to make ours more funky then maybe more will where them,,,,,,,,,

nice to see another Aussie on here.... They for sure have better form and support sites....

Take care everyone
HI Tate

I was looking at both our Medic Alert & America's Medic Alert sites and you're America's sight had a lot more variety then the Aussie site.

I've just got a bracelet on the exbandaband.

Hi cq

yeah i used to have the expanda band one when I was playing sports and going to school..

I now have mans styled one and i use it as an anklet... I find the braclet to get in the way.... ( maybe we should design some more funky ones and show them our selves... hehehe

Where are you in Aust? if you dont mind me asking.... I am in Byron Bay far north coast nsw.... but travel all the way to westmead for treatment still....

take care
tate..
(if I dont reply i may have left for syd)

Hi cq

yeah i used to have the expanda band one when I was playing sports and going to school..

I now have mans styled one and i use it as an anklet... I find the braclet to get in the way....

Where are you in Aust? if you dont mind me asking.... I am in Byron Bay far north coast nsw.... but travel all the way to westmead for treatment still....

take care
tate..
(if I dont reply i may have left for syd)

Hi Tate

Im in NSW, not far from the NSW/Vic border.

It is when I go on walks, either with the little ones or alone, that I am most concerned about the "what ifs".

I have an old clip on plastic ID holder from my old job. I put a card in it with my name, address, med conditions, meds, etc. I clip it to my pants where it is visible when I go for my walks. It makes me feel a little safer. I also have info in an envelope pinned to the stroller. It has my info as well as the kid's on it.

I use www.medids.com to make the card.

Never Worn One

I have considered wearing one, but I really don't want to draw any attention to myself. I would feel like I had been sentenced to wear a big scarlet "E" on my sweater so that everybody would know I should be treated like an outcast. If they come up with something more subtle, say, a gold watch band with a symbol on the clasp, I would probably give it some serious thought.

Just my $.02

Back
Top Bottom