Medic Alert Bracelets - Do you wear one?

Do you wear a medical alert bracelet with information about your epilepsy/meds?

• Yes

Votes: 173 44.6%
  • No

Votes: 184 47.4%
  • I've never thought about that!

Votes: 31 8.0%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Right now there is a 25% off sale for "select IDs" on the medic alert site. Sale ends January 31, 2011.

On sale: there are several silver/rhodium plated necklaces and bracelets, sports bands, and bracelets with glass bead straps.

http://www.medicalert.org/

It doesn't say anything about it on their website. I got a notice in the mail.

Join medic alert first. The flyer says to call and mention campaign code 5866. 1-800-754-5416

Here are the specific models on sale:
Beaded Bracelets:
A741
A700
A701
A702

Sports Bands:
A708
A709
A710

Necklaces:
A149
A551
A147
A010

Regular silver/rhodium bracelents:
A435
A434

Last edited:
I have the medic alert bracelet. I don't always wear it when I'm at home though because it annoys me when I'm on the computer but it's always nearby. I usualy remember to put it back on when I go out lol.

Im the same way. I just got my new bracelet in the mail. Ive been wearing it when I go out, but not as much when im at home. But I need to get into a good habit of always wearing it.

I forgot to add... anyone who is looking to join medicalert, I found a promo code when I ordered my bracelet and renew my yearly fee.
You can get $10 off with the code 5559. Now one site says its expired.. but i ordered mine November 10th and it worked. So it doesnt hurt to give it a try! :)

Last edited:
We don't have one as we have never thought to get one, but might be worth looking into.

I've always been warned off the jewellery type medicalert bracelets/necklets as, suffering a GM-type SZ chains are easily broken & ID disks, hence vital info is lost.

My bracelet is a strong, canvass one fastened by velcro, containing all relevant info.

This is backed up by an ID card in my wallet which says Im a brain injury patient, etc. It's because, should I have a big Sz, the first place police/medics look is in your wallet/purse for some form of ID/address/emergency contact/etc.

We don't have one as we have never thought to get one, but might be worth looking into.
helga106, I'm sure you're familiar with the Australian version (pamphlets are in all the doctors surgeries and hospitals) but here's their website just in case: www.medicalert.com.au

Emergency personnel will look for the typical Australian medic alert bracelet (which is quite plain) if you are ever in need...

I updated mine by phone on Friday (have worn one for about 10 years for other conditions), as my E was diagnosed just before I went overseas 7 weeks ago. The phone operator also asked my medication, so it's good to know they keep that on record.

Discussion here prompted me to update, so thanks, guys!

Chel

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for this Chel - I really appreciate it. I know I'm a complete nutjob @ times, but the one thing that gets to me is the fear of losing my bracelet. I would wear one everywhere - wrists/ankles/necklet .. and .. (Now, now - keep it clean!!

Col.

I have a bracelet. I wear it 24/7. You never know when you are going to have a seizure. You could be having a shower or doing anything else where normally you would not wear jewlry.
i
Mine is gold plated. I bought it years ago. I keep it clean by putting a drop of vinegar and water in a bowl with Ivory Liquid soap. I leave it soaking for about an hour. Vinegar is the best cleaner for anything. Then I rinse the vinegar and water out and it is sparkling clean.

Colman, I hope you buy one. It could save your life.

I have seen them - Thanks Chel, but wasn't really sure where to go to get one, so very helpful site. I really like the idea of a medical alert card in the wallet too.

Hi Ruth; I always have a bracelet or some form of 'ID' which tells that I suffer from E. Agree wholly that it saves lives and also see the argument that jewellery is easily broken, snapped & lost whilst someone is in the throes of GM/SE.

That's why I always carry a "credit-card" ID in my wallet, too, as friends in the police force tell me that the first place they look - whether a person has had an E-attack; heart attack; is diabetic or just 'D&D' - is in a wallet/purse for identification, address, emergency contacts.

So don't just rely on a bracelet - always back it up via. some other means.

Col.

Hi Col.

Where I live in CA, they do not look in my purse for my ID Card. I have it there though. Just in case, someone gets smart and decides to look.

They told me that they do not want to be accused of stealing money or credit cards from people's purses. They have been accused in the past. That is sad.

Hi Ruth; Good to hear from you. I suppose I also have the advantage of living in a small market town where everyone knows everyone else and if a police car stops me on the road, it's more than likely to offer me a lift home!!

This attitude gets right up the noses of the local council workers who are just a bunch of no-mark, petty bureaucrats who most of us wouldn't pee on if they were on fire!!

Col.

Bracelets

I do wear a bracelet for severe latex allergy--not the same but thought I'd chime in.

Just saw a bracelet at the drug store by the diabetes and med supplies. you add your info to a jump drive, built into the bracelt, and it can be read on ANY computer system. I believe it sold for $20-$25. No more hunting for med info and it can be updated. I think it was a medic alert brand.
Another option

Thats really interesting Connie - thanx. There's some good info. on the website of the British Epilepsy Society (Don't know if I'm permitted to post a link but I'll try) If not got to Epilepsy Action UK on your search engine.

www.epilepsyaction.org

Col.

Hi Connie,

It is important for anyone with a severe allergy to have a Medic Alert. Latex is used in hospitals. I am severely allergic to Dilantin. I have it down on my Medic Alert.

Colman it is all right to put in links.

Me to. Not Dilantin but all sulpha drugs, celontin, Iron. I need that. Because when I was picked up by the ambulance this last time it was a bad t/c on the cement bad postictal. I was screaming for my mommy. (who was out of town)lol and luckily a friend was with me who has epilepsy. But I did not know what drugs I was on and I was telling them my sons epi drugs instead of mine. Luckily they new me and had somewhat of a list.

Thanks Ruth - but if Attachments & Links are the same on this site, I'm not permitted to.

Okay. I have really sad news. Not about my ER visit this last weekend. More about what I learned while I was there.

The ER nurse asked what drugs I was on. I handed her my medic alert necklace and she looked on the back and said, "these are your two drugs? Sulfa and pennicillian? why both?" I said, "NO! Those are two of the drugs I have the worst of my allergic reactions to." I asked her again to call the number on the back. She said they were way to busy to do that.

Later on, another nurse came in and said they never called that number - what they need is the info in writing right in front of them. She had first responders say they never call, either. I asked for the charge nurse (nurse manager). She said the number isn't called, even when the patient is unconscious. Unless maybe the ER is empty, which it never is. They are usually stacked up to the rafters.

I asked my sister, who by that time had arrived, to call the number and get my medications and complete list of drug allergies. She did.

The nurse manager suggested I throw out the Medic alert jewelry and carry a wallet card with the info instead. She said that's the first thing the first responders or the ER staff will do - dig in my purse/wallet to find the info. She said to put it in front of my drivers license so they can't miss it. She handed a blank card to my sister who filled it out and put it in my wallet.

Soooo... it may be different in your neck of the woods, but in my major metropolitan area, I guess medic alert is pretty useless, and can actually be harmful if only two of your drug allergies are listed on the medallion or the bracelet themselves. I now have a wallet card.

Hummmph. I spent a lot of money on those medic alert puppies because I'm allergic to steel. So I had to get platinum-plated silver. Double hummmmph.

Last edited:
Maybe MedicAlert needs to start making 2" wide bracelets (very fashionable, according to my google search on "heavy bracelet" pictures just now), so we can fit all our medications and allergies on there.

If you live in California, as discussed in this thread, they won't even look in your wallet. So you're... taxidermied.

*sigh*

ETA: for those to whom this is an issue: if you're prepared to wear such a large bracelet, you could have the MedicAlert emblem welded onto it, and all your requirements engraved on the back. Just an idea...

Last edited:
If only there was a way to erase it monthly when the meds change eh.

Yeah. I'm lucky where I live - they will look in my purse, and I have a list of my meds and when I should have taken them. I update it with every change of medication, and am always compliant with taking my meds, which my doctors know. So that makes it easy for an ED doc if I'm unconscious.

But without that... I thought that's what the MedicAlert system (not just the bracelet) was there for. For goodness sake, not everything fits on that tiny bracelet!!!

Back
Top Bottom