Medic Alert Bracelets - Do you wear one?

Do you wear a medical alert bracelet with information about your epilepsy/meds?

• Yes

Votes: 173 44.6%
  • No

Votes: 184 47.4%
  • I've never thought about that!

Votes: 31 8.0%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I used to wear one but when I did get taken to a and e, the paramedics didnt even notice it. It does need up dating though. I should probably start wearing it again.

I have worn a MedicAlert bracelet for almost 45 years and never take it off unless it's being repaired and I live about 20 minutes from the World Headquarters so when it breaks I go there and it's fixed in minutes.

It has saved my life several times. Twice when I collasped with Status and once when I stupidly road my bike on a busy roadway and had a TC.

My complete medical history is only a phone call away when needed.

Hi Jake,

I live about a 3 hour dr. from Turlock, CA. It has saved my life several times.

Hi Jake,

I live about a 3 hour dr. from Turlock, CA. It has saved my life several times.
Hiya Ruth,
Oh another Californian, do you live N-S-E or W of Turlock? I live in Modesto.

Jake

I'll be ordering one of these through the medic alert foundation next week when my pay comes in. So broke until then due to not being able to work!
If your on Disability or any other type benefits or are experiencing hard times (all to common in our current economy) MedicAlert offers "sponsored memberships" which pay for the membership and I believe a certain type bracelet as well. I have used it in the past. MedicAlert can't be beat IMO.

Jake

Wow! As a 30 year veteran of Epilepsy AND a Paramedic who has worked the streets for the past 17 years, I am a little disheartened by the 16 pages of posts that I just read through.

Here is my :twocents: worth. I agree with you totally mockinbird. I have been taken to the hospital by ambulance more times than I care to remember. All the EMT's & paramedics ALWAYS treated me with the utmost respect, kindness and most importantly professionalism. My father was a C-5 quad and he was also transported many many times and had the same experiences as I did, all positive. I know that does not always happen but I believe the good FAR outweigh the bad. Medics have to put up with a lot of abuse sometimes from very ill patients, there were times they probably wanted to dump us out along the side of the road but they persevered. I have nothing but respect and admiration for paramedics and EMT's. Thank you mockinbird and all your colleagues for all you do to help us. HOWEVER, YOU, more than anyone else should know how important that MedicAlert bracelet is. Have you gotten it yet? If not, you get it, GOT IT !!!! :)
:idea: MedicAlert Foundation, 2323 Colorado Avenue, Turlock, CA 95382
888-633-4298, website: https://www.medicalert.org/ ;-)

I've never worn one because until this past March I haven't had a seizure that was not in my own house. Mostly, they've ocurred between sleep and waking or just as i was turning in. This has been the case for over 23 yrs. I'm 63 today.

Recently, while moving my business (Restoring classic sports cars) I became extremely exhausted and stressed. I had a seizure while driving home, followed by five more in the next eight hours. The neurologist said I almost checked out. I am thinking about wearing one now, though I'm careful not to overdo, and to try relaxation techniques. What does anybody think?

Hi motorbill66,

Yesterday afternoon, while I was sound asleep, I woke up. My husband noticed a really bad bruise on my right arm. My head felt like it had cracked open. My husband wanted to take me to the ER, but I decided not to go. Now, I am wondering if that was such a good idea.

Bill, you say that you have seizures between sleep and waking. Did you ask your doctor what he meant when he said, "You almost checked out?" Next time you might have one during the day while driving. What are you going to do when you wake up in the hospital and they have given you the wrong medicine?

That is precisely what happened to the person who started Medic-Alert. His daughter had a seizure and died because they gave her the wrong medication. She died.

BTW, I am 68 years old and I have had seizures for 62 years. I was given a Medic-Alert necklace, by a friend of mine. I was in my 20's at the time. I was very grateful for it. I wear a gold bracelet now. I do not know if it is real gold or not. I do not care. It is jewelry that I have had for quite a long time, now. It has the Medic-Alert symbol on it that is recognized by doctor's, ambulances, hospitals etc.

I do not give you long to live. In CA, a lot of people wearing the correct helmet have died. Some of them have had epilepsy, driving their motorcycles, bikes or cars. Believe me, when you have a seizure, that pavement or cement is a killer. The older we get, the worse our health gets.

Hi Jake,

I live South of Turlock in the Central Valley. It is about a 4 hour drive from here.

Ruth,

Thank you for the points you have made. As stated, this situation is the very first involving any seizure away from home. However, one is one too many. I will take your advice and get a bracelet immediately. I have always hated wearing jewelery of any kind, and in my profession, automobile repair and restoration, it can actually be dangerous to do so. My wife and I have been happily married for 43 years and neither of us has ever worn a wedding ring. Some folks are quite surprized by this and some are even apalled. Our response has always been to say that we know we are married and if other people don't know it, that's of no real concern to us. We have complete trust in each other.

However, my roll in my business is increasingly less physical and more managerial. I've only begun wearing a watch in the past three or four years, and I am mostly annoyed by the feeling of "hardware" hanging on my body. But, you have convinced me that the tradeoff is more important than the comfort. Besides, if I could get used to the danged watch, I guess I'll adapt to the alert thing. Thank you again.

By the way, I think people who ride a motorcycle without a helmet may just have self esteem issues...

Bill

Last edited:
I've only begun wearing a watch in the past three or four years, and I am mostly annoyed by the feeling of "hardware" hanging on my body.

I can understand that completely. I don't like the feel of my medic alert bracelet either but I wear it. I got what I think was called the "sports" bracelet that is on a Velcro strap instead of a floppy chain.

As far as watches go, I have one that hangs off my belt loop by a metal clip. You were pretty vague how your watch hangs on your body but if it is on your wrist you might want to look for something similar to what I have or even a pocket watch.

Bill, I feel the same way about "hardware on my body." But this is too important. I do wear my wedding ring when I go places.

I always wear my MedicAlert. One time I was in another county and they called up MedicAlert to find out what medicines I was on, my doctors. I am allergic to several medicines and they found out which ones not to give me. You really need it if you are in another county or another state.

They also found out what insurance I had.

Bill, what is more important your self esteem or your health? Healthy people who ride in professional bicycle races wear helmets.

Ruth,

I'm just a tad confused by your last line. When I first read it, it seemed as though you assumed that I thought that folks who rode motorcycles WITH a helmet had self esteem issues. I meant just the oposite. That may, to some on this forum, seem rather opinionated. You all may find that I am indeed opinionated, though I really do try to be nobody's judge. We all have lives to live and should certainly be able to live them in our own way as long as that hurts or adversely affects nobody else. By the way, I drove race cars for 25 years, Believe me, I know the importance of helmets as well as many other safety devices and practices. I've seen the consequences of impact close up!

Sometimes I think I should wear a helmet permanently! I'm in all likelyhoody about to undergo Deep Brain Stimulation to cure a worsening essential tremor in my hands and spreading to my head. I've been told that that will be an end to any risk-taking adventures or activities. Nuts! I was about to start high performance Kart racing. I spent all winter rebuilding a kart to perfection. Now somebody else is going to have the fun. First person to come up with about $3500, that is.

Thanks again for your caring advice. You take care of yourself too. Remember, Though you may love others with all your heart, taking care of yourself is the best gift of love you can give them.

Hi Bill,

In case you weren't aware, MedicAlert also has watches with the MedicAlert insignia and engraving just like the bracelets etc. If your trying to cut down on the amount of hardware you wear it might be a good option for you. Also, they have shoe tags.

Also, MedicAlert provides "sponsored mememberships." If anyone receives disability or other types of government benifits, MedicAlert will provide a bracelet and pay the yearly membership fees.

(WATCHES) ..... http://www.medicalert.org/shop/medicalert-jewelry/emergency-medical-id/watch/1

(SHOE TAGS) .... http://www.medicalert.org/shop/emergency-medical-id/shoe-tag/detail/A661.htm?n=Medical+ID+Shoe+Tag&commonQuestionsURL=www.medicalert.org%2Fwcms%2Fcq%2F&pickListURL=www.medicalert.org%2Fpicklist%2Fsuggest

Jake

Last edited:
Hi guys! I just got my medical ID bracelet from yikes ID Seriously their customer service is so awesome. Bruce, the CEO himself was emailing me making sure everything was perfect. In the end I got a couple of different bands thrown in for free, too! Mine simply says

"MY NAME
EPILEPSY
On Medication
See wallet card for help"

I'm so pleased with my order...everything went so smooth! Only took the package 5 business days to get from the states to Australia, too. All for $17AUD incl postage and customisations. Their market is mainly for athletes and I'm far from that but they were happy to customise it for medical purposes.

I want to tell everyone about them, seriously so awesome :D :D :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Mono,
CONGRATULATIONS on your new ID. It was a very wise purchase. :clap:
Too bad so few take advantage of them. Mine saved my life more than once.

Yes...I never walk out of the door without my Medic Alert bracelet on. I don't wear in the house of course, only if I'm going out in public.

I can't figure out how to undo the clasp on mine :rolleyes: so it stays on all the time! But that's a good thing, since I tend to forget to put it back on before I go out if I let myself take it off. It's a generic stainless steel, goes with everything.

I used to have several color-coordinated girlie bracelets, when I was advertising diabetes only. But since my epilepsy started I have found it helpful to keep everything as simple as possible!

Back
Top Bottom