Medic Alert Bracelets - Do you wear one?

Do you wear a medical alert bracelet with information about your epilepsy/meds?

• Yes

Votes: 173 44.6%
  • No

Votes: 184 47.4%
  • I've never thought about that!

Votes: 31 8.0%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Glad to hear you are alright! that must have been bad. I'm glad they were able to find out.

On a goofy note, they could hire you for a commercial! It sounded just like the life lock and that alert button. hehe

finally, happily driving safely

I just keep my meds written down in my wallet in case something does happen. However, that does sound like a great idea.

Audrey agree:

Last edited by a moderator:
I just keep my meds written down in my wallet in case something does happen. However, that does sound like a great idea.

Audrey agree:
Notes in a wallet are not really helpful when you think about it...you are expecting someone to assume there is a note, will rumage thru the wallet to find said note and that you and your would never be seperated. You have a lot of faith...most people have a hard time keeping it together when they see a person having a seizure in the first place. I will continue to rely on a recognizable sign with a toll free number and all info in one place. It is not jewelry, it is a proven life saver.

i will admit i don't have one but i should i would get a dogtag one but am strapped for cash and im sorry but will not where the bracelet did when i first got epilepsy and got made fun of constantly was always in fights at school and as an adult now i wont wear one because my sister had one i wore it for a week was very uncomfortable and made me itch so when i get the money dog tag it is.bracelet with me breaks to easy as well multiple drop seizures a day.

i wear a dogtag one for when i'm working or if i'm out on my own. i wouldn't have got one if it wasn't for my dad buying it for me

Medic Alert bracelets come in different prices. Some are under $20. I need to order a new one.

Medic Alert keeps your contacts and the doctor in the ER or hospital can call and let your family know where you are. They also have all of the medications you are on and which ones you are allergic too.

A father started Medic Alert because his daughter had a seizure and was rushed to the hospital. She died because they gave her a medicine that she was deadly allergic.

Their website address is: http://www.medicalert.org

Their phone number is: 1-800-432-5398

The email address is: customerservice@medicalert@medicalert.org

They will give you all of information you want. They will not harass you with ads in your email box.

My ER is not allowed to go through my purse or wallet. Most hospitals will not do that. Medic Alert also keeps your doctor's names to give to the ER.

I have belonged to them for years and I am glad that I have.

Got a bracelet for my daughter this week. I confess to not reading the whole thread but considering I have never noticed anyone wearing any medical jewellery I'm not convinced it's worthwhile. Can't do any harm, however.

Got a bracelet for my daughter this week. I confess to not reading the whole thread but considering I have never noticed anyone wearing any medical jewellery I'm not convinced it's worthwhile. Can't do any harm, however.

I appreciate your skepticism, however EMT's and medical personal are trained to look for these things and in my experiance having a medical id has made a difference. When you can't speak for yourself after a seizure it helps to have them realize that you have E, not a drug od or godness know what eles.

I agree, I've always had my husband with me, but if it ever happens when he is not with me the EMT's will see my bracelet! That makes me feel better.....

Thanks Seizingbeauty, good point. We've already had my daughter's workmates at her part-time job think she was hungover when we believe she was suffering from the after-effects of a seizure.

She has just turned 16 and sometimes travels on her own on the train to visit her cousins two hours away and often goes to concerts with her friends, so, yes, the bracelet, will hopefully help give us some peace of mind on those occasions. I suspect I'll now be looking out for them on other people too x

I always wear my Medic Alert bracelet.

There is a new bracelet availabe until May 13. It is a heart shaped bracelet.
The code number is: A791, A794 and A792,

You can buy it at: http://www.medicalert.org/shop

They come in 3 different prices.

Sticky Jewelry has a bracelet that is very hardy- lay-people sometimes think it's a watch but the EMTs can figure it out so if I can be pretty inconspicuous but be okay when I need it, that works for me. That style is just one of loads they have- some look like dainty bracelets, others are the usual chemist's silver band. Check them out- I love their stuff :)

medic alert?

yes, I do wear one, I got the plainest one possible so that it would not look like jewellery yet last summer, in an emergency room at a real hospital, i was post ictally starting to talk, after trying to slowly wean a drug and suffering every time i tried to reduce the dosage, which consequently i was not able to do.
a nurse in this emergency dept. asked me if I got my bracelet at Tiffany's......
:bigmouth:

Didn't the nurse notice the words Medic Alert and the symbol on your bracelet?

I have one that is expensive jewerly. Yet, everyone recognizes it as my Medic Alert bracelet.

She must have just become a nurse. Did you tell her where you bought it? I would have educated her.

Never try to take yourself off of a medication without a doctor's knowledge and his direction.

Ruth,
With all due respect, I am a human being who happens to have a seizure disorder. Period.
Having been on medication my entire life, I am 53, btw. I was decreasing Dilantin UNDER strict medical supervision.Actually I chose to do it even slower than suggested.
Have you ever had a Tonic Clonic seizure?? I never had one until I started playing with meds, under medical supervision. The problem is when somebody finds you lying in the street or sidewalk, they usually call 911. It is very difficult to have a conversation about anything.
Educating nurses is TOTALLY out of the question, especially when I am having trouble remembering my name....the date.... where I shop is just not what my brain wants to think about. Sleep is really the best thing and home is the best place to get it.
PLEASE do not give medical advice. I do not believe that is the intention of this site.
Luckily, I found a compassionate doctor. I do not wean myself off drugs. They don't even try to wean me off drugs. They have let me add a new one and I have had one seizure in the past 4 months, down from several a day.
All brains are different, and they must be treated as such.....
Problem is, it makes the medical community actually have to THINK..... and treat each case individually.

Last edited:
deeds, I am sorry if I insulted you. I did not mean too.

I have several types of seizures. I was diagnosed when I was 6 years old. I am now 69 years old. At the age of 21, I started having Tonic Clonic's, 3 in a row. Several years later, I had my first status epilepsy, that is one seizure after another, until the doctor's either are able to stop them or death occurs.

3 times, I have almost died from seizures. One time, I was in a coma.

My husband has been told three times to prepare for my funeral. That was during each status episode.

I am sorry that we have seizures, they are miserable. That is why we are in this forum.

If you read my last sentence, I was not giving medical advice. I was telling you to take your doctor's medical advice. If you do not think that he is doing is work right, then change to another doctor.

I am a human being, too. The only advice I have given in this topic is to wear a medic alert bracelet and suggesting educating people. Educating people is not telling someone to do something, it is a teaching process. We are always learning here from others in the forum.

Where did I give medical advice? I am sorry and I was wrong if I did.

Question

While I don't have epilepsy, I am very interested in utilizing technology to help others who do. I noticed that a large amount of people don't wear the bracelets who have epilepsy, even though they can be life-saving. Why is that? Is it a psychological thing?

What do people here think about a smartphone wallpaper that could have important information on it instead of wearing a bracelet? Also, what type of information is usually on the bracelets?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
The type of info on my bracelet is:

The emergency phone number to Medic Alert for the doctor's in an ER. The doctor's can get all types of information, like what medicines I am on, all of my health problems, every medicine that I am allergic to.
Epilepsy
The brand name of a medicine that I am deadly allergic to.
The number that is given to each member of Medic Alert.

Where I live, it is illegal for hospitals to go through my purse to look for a smartphone. I do not have a smart phone, text, or any of that other junk. I just have a computer.

Are you selling smartphone wallpaper? Or are you trying to invent the technology for this use?

Do you have a family member who has epilepsy? I would like to know more about you and epilepsy.

Welcome to CWE.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom