Medic Alert Bracelets - Do you wear one?

Do you wear a medical alert bracelet with information about your epilepsy/meds?

• Yes

Votes: 173 44.6%
  • No

Votes: 184 47.4%
  • I've never thought about that!

Votes: 31 8.0%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I wear one, it has my name, with epilepsy on it, my moms name and number and the medication. my doctor signed off on it and if anything changes the company will change the information for FREE. its a great comfort for me. i wear it everyday! its a blessing,

I wear one daily. I never take it off, even when washing dishes or taking a shower. I had a paramedic look at it as the ambulance came to get me. It has epilepsy and stroke risk on it as well as my full name. I'm going to get a new one soon with type of seizure plus my daughters name and phone number on it.

I said yes, but the truth is I just ordered it two weeks ago so it hasn't arrived yet, but once it's here it won't come off.

I wear one too. I have for years. The fact that you ordered it, yes, was the correct answer BlueCat.

I am getting a new one after my ordeal the middle of April when I was taken by ambulance twice and unconscious both times (admitted the second for 9 days). My symbol is clear cut, my daughter wants it red as she says no one really sees or pays attention to it that way. It will still have Stroke risk and epilepsy on it. My daughters and sisters name and phone numbers.

Penny, I am very sorry that you are having such a hard time with your seizures.

Have you tried Chamomile tea? That relaxes my nerves.

Does anyone have experience with I.C.E. bands? On the surface it they seem like a cool option. They're cheap silicone custom bands, but I'm not sure if emergency people would recognize the function, as they look like the regular 'support a cause' silicone bracelet.

Does anyone have experience with I.C.E. bands? On the surface it they seem like a cool option. They're cheap silicone custom bands, but I'm not sure if emergency people would recognize the function, as they look like the regular 'support a cause' silicone bracelet.

I agree that a medic alert bracelet should look like a medic alert bracelet. Also, those bands have personal info that I wouldn't want visible to others (name & ph. number).

i get a hard time from emt's for not wearing whent I get caught out in public.

COurt, are the emt's talking about Medic Alert bracelets, neckaleces or sports bands?

justinfm, Medic Alert has inexpensive options. Go to their website and check them out.

The doctor's or the EMT's at the hospital that I have here, will not look at it if they think it is jewelry. It has to have the symbol.

a bracelet, since i am allergic to a few things, and since i have epilepsy.

Probably a good idea since having epilepsy for 21 years, but really never thought about it. Any of you wearing one how often do you get asked about it? Also does it bother you?

Yes, you should. Seizures can be caused by other things besides epilepsy. Diabetes can cause seizures, stroke, tumor in the brain.

If you are rushed to the hospital, you should have one. Otherwise the doctors will have to do tests to determine the cause of your seizures. They might have to do an unnecessary EEG, MRI.

With the Medic Alert, they automatically know what is wrong with you. They can call up your doctor and a family member that you can list as contacts. It is not public information. Medic Alert keeps it on their files. They can actually call your doctor. It is important to have one. They will have listed allergies to pills, what you are taking. They can stop the seizures a lot faster.

I first got mine as a gift from some friends, about 1971.

Medic Alert was started by a father whose daughter had epilepsy. She was given a medicine that she was allergic too. She died as a result.

I've been wearing a bracelet for about a year and it never comes off (not even or sleep or shower). So far the only people that usually ask about it also wear one for something as well.
As for bothering me, it's never really an issue. It doesn't get caught on anything too often and I only really notice it when I have to slide off my forearm back to my wrist (just takes a shake of the hand). I'm also used to wearing bracelets though, I've had "livestrong" and "live drug-free"(ironic[emoji58]) ones on for 5+ years.

Well.....
I used to wear one 24/7.
I took it off one day but it just went back on and I think, in light of how many seizures I have been having lately that I should leave it there!

Believe it or not, I have an even more important situation concerning notifying medical professionals. I have metal electrodes implanted deep in my brain and generator/stimulator units in my chest to control a non Parkinsonian hand tremor as a result of taking Depakote for ten years. If anyone puts me in an MRI machine and flips the switch, I die. You can bet your butt I carry cards and anything else I can to make sure that doesn't happen! No, it does nothing for the Epilepsy. But I only have seizures when going to sleep/waking up. And, I have to be really stressed (Now retired. What a stress relieving thing that is!) I know now not to let myself get really exhausted no matter how much I am enjoying myself, or how engaged in completing a task I may be, and now I recognize my aura, which I denied for many years. It must be working. With my last medication adjustment, I have gone just shy of one year with no seizures and no aura. After 25 or so years with three or four Monster Mals a month, that is one monster relief. I hope I haven't just jinxed myself!

One of my old companies made me get one because the seizures made me an ACC liability for them

My current ID is showing it's age. So I'm going to get a new one soon.

A question for those of you that have one & had surgery. Did you update your medical ID with this information?

IE:
Name DOB
Condition(s)
Post TL Surgery
On Meds
ICE

Does anyone have something like that on their medical ID?

Back
Top Bottom