Medic Alert Bracelets - Do you wear one?

Do you wear a medical alert bracelet with information about your epilepsy/meds?

• Yes

Votes: 173 44.6%
  • No

Votes: 184 47.4%
  • I've never thought about that!

Votes: 31 8.0%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

A liability for the company?
What about a liability for you, if you were unable to respond?

Yes, I wear one. It is important for everyone to wear one. It tells a person what medicines they are on, which ones they are allergic to and other things of medical importance.

The Medic Alert has a toll free phone number for a doctor to call. If you are in a different county, the doctor can get the knowledge that he/she needs. They keep a file on you. You can call and add any changes that you need too.

A father started Medic Alert when his daughter had a seizure. They gave her a medicine that she is allergic to. She died.

A friend bought me my first one about 10 years later.

We currently get bracelets from stickj as there are more options with spaces needed. Got a very nice dog tag to put on the backpack during the after xmas sales. Bracelet top has child's first name, both parents' cell numbers and 'see other side'. Back has three conditions listed. Not something someone can read easily from far that privacy is a problem but it is mostly worn at school.

I have the one that you wear around your neck. Plus I have a card, (that I printed out), with ALL my medical issues, docs, meds, and phone numbers on it.

I wear one. Plus I have a watch that my family had custom made with their contact info.
And I have a key fob with just a bit of info.
I used to wear a lanyard card I made myself but after I changed my Dr. I wasn't able to make a new one. I really should find out how.
The VNS magnet has some kind of pattern on it that is supposed to mean something but nobody knows what it is.

I wear one, especially if I'm out by myself or with non-family members. I may sometimes not put it on if I'm with family.

When I was trying to decide if I should get one I asked a coworker who does volunteer search and rescue. I said to him "12 yrs ago I had a tonic clonic seizure that last for close to 15-20 minutes (in & out of seizures until paramedics showed up) and I have been diagnosed with right temporal lobe epilepsy disorder?" His reply was "Duh of course you should have one". So the next day I ordered one as I was heading to Israel and another trip later this spring. It made me realize that it was more responsible for me to have one.

I don't wear medic alert but I'm ordering a specialized one for me since I have so m many things that should be on it not just epilepsy.

I have so many things that should be on it not just epilepsy.
I hear ya about that Belinda. I just had them engrave the worst ones. But on the card I print out that's in my pocket all the time, I have everything listed. It was enough to make it a two sided card, LOL!

payiny on line they sometime take to much

I should be getting my bracelet by 10 business days and I ordered it yesterday. They first took out 3 times to much. I had a time getting my money back in my account.

I had the most important things engraved and all u have to do is go on look for the number.
Now the hospitals ill have zero excuse for me and I will say no E/R for!

I carry card,not sure if uk people know but get pot you put sample of meds in keep in fridge that way doc know what you on..They giving these pots out at surgeries now

I used too . But unfortunately in the last year I have lost a total of 6( please don't ask lol ) . So now no longer bother

I used to wear a Medic Alert bracelet but stopped when I left school because it was affecting job opportunities for me. I might resume wearing a disguised one soon

I wear one, but it's a waste of time, nobody ever looks at it, also, it looks more decorative than medical, I recently had A&E staff who didn't look at it, I couldn't believe it. I wouldn't want to wear a purple bracelet though. I wear it as it gives me peace of mind walking alone.
Hope everyone is ok?

I wear mine all the time, it has saved me too many times to ever be without it.

jake

I wear one partly because of all the AEDs that I'm allergic to: Tegretol, Keppra, Depakote, & Lamictil. Another thing is that most people wouldn't know what's going on if they saw a complex partial seizures occur unless they recognized it. People normally think of tonic clonics whenever they hear "seizure".

Back
Top Bottom