Medication side effects phenytoin

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

moongal

New
Reaction score
I've recently been moved on to a new medication phenytoin/epanutin and it is making me feel so nauseas, I don't think I've ever felt so sick in my life, has anybody else experienced this? I am also on keppra and zarontin syrup. The nausea is just awful and I've a splitting headache, does it get better is this just a transitional stage because they've upped my phenytoin dose from 350-375mg? I generally have a tough stomach for meds but this just makes me feel God awful.

Any response would be greatly appreciated

moongal

I am on epanutin I did experience a little bit of sickness but I would tell the doctor. The headache seems to come with new meds for me.

I take Dilantin, I think phenytoin a generic of Dilantin. I have not any problems with nausea.

Is this the 1st. med. that your dr. has put you on? You might want to contact your Dr.
I have put on I guess all the meds. but could not tolerate. We all react diff. to the diff. meds. out there.

Hey moongal,
Welcome to the forum, I'm not familiar with phenytoin, but I sure hope your
journey gets better soon. I totally went through the nausea on keppra when i started.
Keep us posted,

Hey guys,
Thanks for your responses, no it's not the first medication I've been on I've had epilepsy for 14 years now I've been through lamictal, zonegran, epilim, vimpat, frisium and I think a few more that I can't remember at present because last week I ended up having 6 TCs over a period of 2 days and that always leaves me with me with short term memory problems but lets just say I've been through a few of them. Reading through all of your posts and threads it means so much to me because I can so much appreciate where ye guys are coming from.

The doctor said it may actually be a side effect coming from the keppra that's being rubbed off by the phenytoin and he wants to take me off keppra because he doesn't think it does much for me. The headache is so strong it's like a post seizure headache.:/

I didn't have nausea on Dilantin either, so your neuro's hunch may be right, and the Keppra's to blame. Good luck with the med adjustments -- hope it does the trick.

i was on that and it caused facial hair and mouth gums problems,i just felt like a lump

I was on Dilantin in 1949. I had Steven's Johnson Syndrome. It starts out looking like the flu, but then your skin starts coming off. I was rushed to Children's Hospital in San Francisco. I was deadly allergic to it. I was taken off of it. Phenytoin is the generic for Dilantin.

I was real sick to my stomach. Do you have a rash? Dilantin works for most people.

One of the medicines I am on now is Keppra. It depletes Vitamin B Complex from your system. I am doing fine on it. My neurologist told me to take a Vitamin B Complex once a day. I do not have side effects and it controls my seizures.

Everyone reacts different to meds. Talk to your neurologist and tell him/her what is going on. Do not try to take yourself off of it.

Welcome to CWE. Bernard started it out of love for his wife Stacy. That love permeates throughout the whole forum.

Oh God guys I hope it works too, neurology are trying to find the right meds for me but at the moment I just feel so sick from this and my hands and face feel numb my eyelids feel heavy I just feel God awful at the moment I feel like the side effects from the medication are worse than seizures themselves.

moongal

It does feel like that at times and I agree going to sleep until its over sounds good, just a pity what we have to go through.

Ya I just hope it will be worth it in the end. To be honest all these side effects feel really weird to me I feel like I'm going to give myself a heartattack, my eyes are rolling back in my head and I feel completely numb this is the scariest and freakiest feeling. I feel like I could die in my sleep this isn't good. Has anybody else ever felt like that from their meds?

I was on Welbutrin for a hot minute for depression and I was getting alot of the same side effects, especially the eyes rolling into the back of the head. (Talk about freaking out your friends)
I am not a doctor, and I'm not a paid attorney spokesperson either,haha
but I am a little worried that you are having an allergic reaction, to your meds, especially after you said the panic attack\ heart attack feeling. This is something to look into.
It is such a journey, thanks for sharing it with us.

I don't think I'll go to the ER but I've an appointment with my GP tomorrow for my phenytoin levels and I'm going to talk with him to be honest I'm not comfortable being on this drug anymore it's just making me so sick that I think I might call neurology tomorrow morning and ask them if they may consider something else. I've never had a reaction like this to a drug it's just horrible it's freaking the hell out of me!!!

moongal, please let us know what the GP says about your phenytoin levels.
Be sure and tell him/her about your numbness.

Numbness can also be caused by carpal tunnel syndrome. That is using the computer too much. That is why I am not on the computer as much.

Call neurology for an appointment to see a neurologist.

Hey guys,
I ended up going into the ER because I freaked out lastnight but they said everything I feel is just a side effect of the phenytoin. It's a pretty tough side effect to be honest. How do ye guys get on with your meds?

I have been on phenytoin for years
Initially it took about three weeks of living a zombie like life due to sedation and the after effects of two fits.
However a month later and things were ok
That was back in 1986
I do have a tremor, though this is embarrasing it is not disabilitating.
Swollen gums at times if I let my mouth care slip.
On a more positive note - I am fit free
hardly ever get a headache,
and sleep very soundly.

On a negative note
The Dr wants to now take me off it
(for cost reasons)

Oh Steve that's terrible, if it's working and you're happy on it I really don't understand it. Though I live in Ireland and we have a completely healthcare system to you so we get free healthcare for long term illnesses like epilepsy and any medication required by that illness. Can I ask did you find that phenytoin caused memory loss or could that just be because of the other seizures I had, I had 6 TCs over 2 days, but my short term memory is still very poor at present.

Memory loss - possibly, though it could be old age :)
My thinking is slowed down on them, and if I miss a dose I can feel myself speeding up.
I find keeping my Diary solves a lot of problems though.

On a more positive note
I enjoy reading Terry Pratchetts Discworld books and have the set.
By the time I have read the last book I have forgotten the first book so can start reading them all over again.
:)

Back
Top Bottom