Meds making me not care about anything??

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Senjuro

New
Reaction score
I hope you all don't mind me coming around when I have questions. I know it's been a long time since my last visit! :(

I've always noticed a bit of emotional "numbness" of sorts after so long on medications for depression, epilepsy etc., but is it going one step further making me not care about any and everything?

When I was younger (before being diagnosed and/or put on medication), I worried about getting my chores done, my personal hygiene and appearance, and so on. As disgusting as that is, for the past 4 or 5 years I just haven't cared about any of it...

I've been on large doses of medications for depression, pain, epilepsy, and thyroid issues for around 16 years (lots less time and dosage on the thyroid, though), has it just been too much for my system to handle? I feel like a professional actor at this point who happens to be a zombie, I know what I SHOULD be feeling, so I basically play pretend.

I've forgotten to take a morning dose now and again, and what I notice is that everything seems more intense, I feel, for lack of a better word, so much more alive than when I'm medicated. I genuinely laugh, react, and just feel happier. But seeing as my doctors didn't think I'd survive another seizure, then I did, I know in the back of my mind if I were to stop taking my meds, I would probably die from another grand mal seizure.

Because with me, the small seizures are mostly under control again, heck, I'd go as far as to say they're almost a rarity these days, but my grand mal seizures are the ones hiding in the shadows waiting for an opportunity to rear their ugly faces.

Thanks, everyone!

Not Caring Is Something That I have Felt!

Senjuro,
Don't feel surprised if you feel that way! This sounds like a feeling that comes along with the feelings that a person has when they have Depression. Sure, you may take an anti-depressant but that doesn't mean that the Depression will be completely taken care of. Feeling like you don't care is something that can be taken care of by being more active. The more you do, the more you think of yourself and what you are doing so you are going to see that you need to take better care of yourself! :twocents:

ACsHuman

You certainly not on your own with that.I also on thyroid Meds that always going back and forth.
One the reasons I cutting back on my e Meds is for very reason you mentioned I don't know either if it cause of my inertia

Senjuro,
Don't feel surprised if you feel that way! This sounds like a feeling that comes along with the feelings that a person has when they have Depression. Sure, you may take an anti-depressant but that doesn't mean that the Depression will be completely taken care of. Feeling like you don't care is something that can be taken care of by being more active. The more you do, the more you think of yourself and what you are doing so you are going to see that you need to take better care of yourself! :twocents:

ACsHuman
I agree with what you said about being more active, but these meds are certainly not making it easy to WANT to do things. x.x Forcing myself is easier said than done :\

You certainly not on your own with that.I also on thyroid Meds that always going back and forth.
One the reasons I cutting back on my e Meds is for very reason you mentioned I don't know either if it cause of my inertia
It's comforting to know I'm not alone with the many issues taking medication brings, but at the same time I wish none of us had to deal with this nonsense...

I assume you're seeing a psychiatrist for your depression? You should probably have a talk with him/her about your issues. It's possible that your anti-depressant meds are not functioning for you. Depression may be a side effect of your E meds, but seems to me that your anti-depressant should counteract the side effects.

I haven't seen a psychiatrist in several years actually. I've been on different anti-depressants over the years at varying dosages, but I've been on the same dosage of Abilify for probably close to 10 years if my time table isn't too far off. Maybe you're right, I don't think 5mg of Abilify is cutting it anymore, so maybe it's time to see a psychiatrist again. I also recall having general medication levels drawn, and one of my meds was making another less effective. I can't recall if it was Abilify suppressing one, or vice versa. Thanks so much for that, I've always assumed (dumb mistake I keep making) that since it has never been upped that it was fine as it was.

My meds do the same thing. It varies in intensity depending on which anticonvulsant I am on at the time. I think of it like my emotional range is much smaller.

Back
Top Bottom