Memory and Cognitive Functionality and Issues

Memory loss / Issues and Cognitive Functionality

• Anti-epileptic drug(s) worsens the Memory / Cognitive issues

Votes: 88 87.1%
  • Anti-epileptic drug(s) does not change the Memory / Cognitive issues

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • Surgery worsens the Memory / Cognitive issues

Votes: 12 11.9%
  • Surgery improved the Memory / Cognitive issues only after some therapy(ies) to a degree

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • Surgery improved the Memory / Cognitive issues only after some therapy(ies) nearly completely

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • VNS improved the Memory / Cognitive issues

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • VNS with Anti-epileptic drug(s) improved the Memory / Cognitive issues

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • VNS worsen the Memory / Cognitive issues

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • VNS with Anti-epileptic drug(s) worsen the Memory / Cognitive issues

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • None of the above applies

Votes: 4 4.0%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Well that stinks. A seizure every night? What's up with that? Is your doctor planning on adjusting your meds any more?

I'm still having them almost daily, but my doc is still adjusting my meds. Which is another stinky topic.

Why is all of this so stinky?????

ive started to be in the same boat now but thankfully allmine are myclonic and it drives me up the wall twitching all morning till my body finally wakes up and it dont help the fact that my epilepsy nurse is becoming a pain in the rear with her attitude and doesnt want to help me which means i have to start the day on diazapam which really does my head in as i hate this kind of drug

It's difficult to try dating when I can barely remember what the guy does! I really try to listen and focus. Chatting and talking about our past is tough when I don't have too many memories! It sucks!

It's difficult to try dating when I can barely remember what the guy does! I really try to listen and focus. Chatting and talking about our past is tough when I don't have too many memories! It sucks!

My memory is similar but people can tell me the same story over & over & I don't get bored.:pop:

i have a good memory for the most part, cant really tell you if its changed me or hurt my memory, been on some med since i was 5 lol

i too have a great memory for the past its the last 24 hrs that i have no idea about

trouble is when im talking to members of the public at demos i cant remember if i told the person im talking to somthing about this bird or was it the person before i told so sometimes i find myself saying things more than once which sometimes can make you look a bit of a fool but hey lifes a bitch

My memory is generally terrible, although it can vary from day to day. A few days ago I went to the door to call in my two dogs - four times in one minute - and all the time the two of them were standing behind me in the house, looking very confused.

memories

If memory serves me correctly-I too had a great memory in my younger days (53 in years at this writing).

After 30 plus years trying to tame the beast within, I am frustrated with my memory. I can recognize faces in a heartbeat. Recollection of names, or events not so much. Sometimes carrying on a conversation I am at a disadvantage, trying to recall details. The conversation gets one sided with me saying huh, huh, huh...I can't remember!! (repeat same).

I want to tell people, or remind them I really am intelligent. Even my husband (God love him) tries to engage me in recall of events, and names. So, I just listen to him, and occasionally throw in a, "oh yeah I remember!" How boring of a conversationalist I must sound like. I suppose that is the reason I reveal my seizure disorder to others, so I have a legit reason for sounding like I am slow (which I am!), but intelligent non the less :bigsmile:

Ori:
I forgot to add to my post that I have done the same with my dog! Funny!

Yesterday a really nice lady came up to me and said Hi Teresa! How are you? I just looked at her. I said I'm fine and how are you? She said do you remember me and I just told her no. Aparantly I gave her some really good advice about children with dissablities and she did the same for me. I have no recolection. I feel so stupid. But atleast I tell people before hand that I do not remember any more and please do not feel offended if I don't remember you if we meet up again.I feel like a dummy.

Dont worry so much about the past because its gone forever.Its all about the future for us anyway who suffer. The future holds peace and health and love. Faith ln this is what we need and theres no more worries. Peace of Christ to you!

Thanks Mike. I'm not to worried. Life is what it is. I get to meet some really great people. And thank you for the blessing of peace I truely believe in it.Teresa

my faith is all I have to hold on to, The promise of etarnal life with a gloifide body that is perfect. What could be better? The Peace of Christ be with you!

Kindness

Yesterday a really nice lady came up to me and said Hi Teresa! How are you? I just looked at her. I said I'm fine and how are you? She said do you remember me and I just told her no. Aparantly I gave her some really good advice about children with dissablities and she did the same for me. I have no recolection. I feel so stupid. But atleast I tell people before hand that I do not remember any more and please do not feel offended if I don't remember you if we meet up again.I feel like a dummy.

People remember and value your kindness and your gentle heart, not your memory. When she looks back in time it is your help that will mean everything. :)

Your advice helped her and maybe gave her new hope! Names are not whats important in this life. The love that came from your heart when you took the time to talk to her is what its all about! Hang in there were here to help others.

my faith is all I have to hold on to, The promise of etarnal life with a gloifide body that is perfect. What could be better? The Peace of Christ be with you!
Mike, this comment brought tears to my eyes. I truly believe this! I am incredibly blessed with many things (including wonderful parents that take care of me!), but His kingdom will be so amazing.
In the mean time, we must live with our imperfect bodies according to His will. I struggle, but try to remember Paul's thorn in his flesh (some scholars believe this was epilepsy) and how he did so much!

I also get the impression that my memory sucks. However, it seems that I get more out of studying that I feel I am getting. For instance, when studying for finals last semester I was feeling completely lost, couldn't focus, was reading the same stuff ten times because I didn't remember what I was reading about. But when it came to the exams... suddenly it all became clear and I aced them all, which was a huge surprise to me and my friends who saw me studying and if I lasted more than 5 minutes reading something, that was a great effort!

My working memory is a problem, though. It's hard for my brain to effectively deal with a lot of information at once. I also seem to struggle with remembering sequences. For example, I often get confused when it comes to the sequence of events that occurred recently or what I should do first/second/third when I performing a new complex task ( I need to recite what to do and when in my head over and over again until it becomes automatic and I don't have to think anymore ;) ).

Memory

I think that nerofeedback helped my memory so much. It didnt cure my epilepsy but it help me in so many other ways. My memory improved alot!

I have problems with memory issues and also stumbling over words alot, which the problems have seemed to get worse over time. I have wondered if it is my seizures causing this or my meds as I am on 3 different meds currently along with the RNS. I really wonder though if it is my seizures as my focal point is right where my memory and speech functions are. Has anyone else ever had the same experience? My Hippocampus is one of my focal points and the other is the temporal lobe.
It's been so long since you posted this question that I don't know if you will even see my reply. But here goes. I just found out I have seizures a few months ago. My only seizure symptoms are memory loss and word finding difficulty. I went to the doctor because of these 2 symptoms. The EEG showed that I was having seizures in the area of the brain that is responsible for those 2 things - the temporal lobe. I don't have any other symptoms other than that: no muscle jerking or staring spells or anything, so it's very hard for me to believe the diagnosis of partial complex seizures. I'm not on any AEDs now because I couldn't tolerate Oxtellar XR 600mg 2x daily or Keppra so my PCP took me off them until I can get in to see a new neurologist because I had such bad reactions to them. I replied because your symptoms sound just like mine. After reading about others experiences I realize I have a lot to be thankful for. How are you doing with everything now? Have you ever heard of anyone who is supposedly having seizures but doesn't have any symptoms? What's strange to me is that the Dr. said I'm having seizures "all the time". I wish I understood this better.

Back
Top Bottom