Memory problems!!!!!!!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

For me,

I think the memory issues are a combination of both. I KNOW that they are a direct result of meds, that's a given. BUT, when I DO have a t/c (mine are nocturnal) it's like I've had a stroke almost. Literally. It takes me months to put things back together in the right places, and I wish I were kidding. Sure, I can get the ABC's, 123's etc within a few days, but basic words and sentences take a while. And remembering who ANYONE is? NOT. I don't even know my own kids. *shuddering*

On a daily basis, though, I have a tendency to misplace things--I find my keys in the refrigerator, for example. Kids that I've known for five years when I'm substitute teaching--I'll suddenly totally forget their names. Or I'll forget where I'm going, and for what.

But I can write--volumes. Go figure. Does it make sense? Of course not! Do our brains make sense?? Uh, NOOOO!!! (And yes, I do Sudoku and crossword puzzles on a pretty regular basis. I'm weird, I think they're fun. :) )

Meetz I don't think your any weirder than I am (if that helps...:ponder:) I love doing Sudoku before bed. It helps me calm down. Sometime I have a hard time gettting my brain to shut down. Can't remember the thing I want to, can't forget the things I wish I could. The logic gives my brain somewhere to go that doesn't suck

I'm a greeter, so my job (obviously) is to greet people, control who comes in and out of the building, etc. So I have to scan people's membership cards to make sure they are allowed in. Often people have to run out to their cars to get something. Then they come back, and I stop them, and they will turn to me and say something like, "Are you kidding? I just walked through here a minute ago!" It gets embarrassing.

I can't remember people's names for the life of me either, unless I'm familiar with them on a daily basis. But even then my memory can fail me. I remember forgetting one of my professors names in the 7th week of class, and this is a class where I see them on a near-daily basis.

During casual conversation with my friends, I often have to ask them to repeat themselves because I can forget things they said seconds ago. This gets really awkward in social situations with people who aren't my friends. Another thing I tend to do is repeat myself, such as telling the same stories over and over because I don't remember ever telling it before.

Often I will walk somewhere and suddenly stop and realize I have no idea why I'm there, "I just walked into the kitchen. Why did I come here?"

It was weird today.
I had an aura today like i normally do before a seizure. so i quit what I was doing
but nothing happened as far as i know.
but then I forgot how to use the drill in my hand.

I had the weirdest aura/memory loss yesterday. For some reason, I am having most of my auras first thing in the morning, and most of them happen in the bathroom! I just cannot work out why! If I was photosensitive (which I am not) I would maybe think the pattern on the tiles caould trigger a seizure, anyway, I walked in, put the radio on, as it always keeps me focussed if I have music on while washing, I had my shower, singing away as always, then next thing I know, I am back in the bathroom, dried and half dressed, standing at the end of the bath, about to have another bloody shower, I know I'd already had one as my hair was wet, I was really not right for about ten minutes afterwards.
I'm soon going to put a thread on here, specifically asking for your weirdest auras, how they started, where you were, what happened, how long they lasted, and what people around you's reactions were like, it's for my book,"Fit For Life" (The Story of Laine's Brains) I would very much like to have a whole chapter on auras, as I think it would greatly help people that are newly diagnosed to deal with what's happening to them, we all know how terrifying an aura can be eh?! I wouldn't name anyone if they were a bit shy about it, I'd just put Sara California, or Dave Australia or whatever you want me to put.
So look out for my thread soon, and I would so appreciate your help on this, between us, we can hopefully help others newly diagnosed, and help the great general public to understand us a bit more!! It's got to happen soon, I am still coming across the most abhorrent ignorance to epilepsy!!! Even now, in the 21st Century!!! Not the Dark Ages!!!
Love to all you wonderful folks on here, I still get so much support from CWE, I hope you all do too, and I am going to get my book finished and published if it's the last thing I ever do, I owe it to myself, the folks that will read it, and to my darling mum!!

Lotsalove
Lainey xxxx

Last edited:
Hi Court

Oh bless you honey, isn't it weird huh? I sometimes forget things like that, that's your Semantic memory, but mainly I forget events and things I've done, our Episodic memory. I hope that you are enjoying talking to the lovely guys on here, it's just fantastic to talk to others that simply understand each other!! I got a real buzz from it during my second brain surgery! Great support, lotsalove and friendship! If you ever want to talk, anytime at all, I am here mate, I just really hope that you get as much from CWE as I do!!

Lotsalove

Lainey xxx

I would be honered to be a part of it all. I had only auras for two years before the seizures went full blowen.

ok guys! i just came from my new neurologist and he wants me to go into the hospital for 4 days for a monitored eeg......talk to me.

Hi Cerindipiti - My daughter was only given a 24 hr test. It is great that your neurologist is going to attempt to see a seizure on tape.

There is a picture of Rebecca hooked up to the wires in my photos.
We watched DVDs on her laptop, and I was allowed to stay overnight. Though the chair was not very comfortable to sleep in.

Good luck, when do you go in?

There looking for a focus so they can remove it. Do all your reasearch.

Good luck

It's great that you've got a doc who wants to put you through an EEG. You should ask if they plan to give you an MRI as well.

Also remember to bring a book (at least one), a laptop (if you have one) & if you have a music source to bring that too so that you don't get too bored.

Keep us updated on how things go.

Hang in there kiddo . I have to write things down in a pocket book and even then iforget where i put it. This is relatively new for me and it is testing me to my inner core.You are correct people do have difficulty understanding however we do have each others support . Feel free to write anytime.
Ed.

Cerendipity, you will be going into the hospital for a telemetric observation to determine the focus of your seizures. You will be hooked up to an EEG machine, possibly a remote one, in the hospital. (I'm speaking from my experience in the Montreal Neurological Institute about the location of the EEG machine. That may not be the case with the hospital you're going into.) Sometimes, the focus is in an operable location and the focal point on the brain can be excised (cut out). On other occasions, such is not the case; the locus (origin of the seizures) may be inoperable. It all depends upon the locus or focal point in the brain where the seizures originate.

Mike gave you some good advice. You have to be pro-active about your health, so learn as much as yopu can about your situation. Please keep in touch and keep a positive outlook during the time you're in the hospital!!

I have had several tests performed in hospital and nothing shows up. ( I mean i do have a brain) it just shows normal no drugs, alcohol, head injuries, no family record of . the neuroligist says its just unexplained . I want a second opinion and i will advocate until you know what freezes over!
Thanks for the support Ed.

Music man, sometimes the cause of the seizures are of an unknown origin or occur for no known reason. The cause of this type of seizure is said to be "idiopathic". This would explain why there seems to be no known abnormalities in your brain which would cause the seizures.

On occasion, there are some exterior "triggers" which might cause you to have seizures. These also occur in people who have a particular type of seizures or a combination of them. It's important to pay attention to your environment and your activities to see if there is something you're doing which might bring on the seizures. Age, gender and hormones at certain times of life can also cause seizures to occur. I hope this sheds a bit more light on your situation.

Most of the people who come here are informed about the problem we face. Being proactive in your own health and keeping a journal about everything is key.

I am to a degree in the idiopathic group. I am female, so hormones have seemed to be an issue from the start (1969). I would love to see the records from that first seizure, actually it was two in a row. I doubt the hospital archives exist from that time period, and my parents did not keep those records. I just seem to have a low seizure threshold, so taking care of myself becomes #1 priority. The memory thing is both frustrating and amusing. I went to the grocery store the other day and a man came up to me and said, how you doin' darlin' (Texas), and I pretended to recognize him! Later I realized he had been married to a softball Mom, my daughter played with their daughter. Took several hours for the recognition to hit me!! :bigsmile:

Hi Ed here. I'm still trying to figure this out . I lead a fairly quiet life in the country .. or did no licence now. Iwatch my weight . I cycle .. Yup i know iv'e heard it, people cringe, but one has to do that which one loves. I enjoy my work and yes it can be stressfull as i work in mental health and addictions and have done so for 11 years. I think i have seen it all ,but they are my people and i love them . Iwish i could be more eloquent at the moment however i'm having trouble getting the words out.
Be well and thanks again Ed

I wish i could be more eloquent at the moment however i'm having trouble getting the words out.
Be well and thanks again Ed
I know how you feel. I have days when I have trouble getting out what I want to say certain days. yesterday & today were bad days that way, I'll start to type a reply on CWE then decide it best to not bother rather than have it not come out the way I want it to.

Back
Top Bottom