Modified Atkins diet - advice?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

cmackd

New
Reaction score
Hi I am new to this forum and new to this diet.
Any advice appreciated.

Thanks, Claire

My 2 year old daughter has recently been diagnosed with generalised epilepsy, it was called complex febrile since it started at 6 months.

She has tonic clinics approx fortnightly since 6 months and started 2 second 'jerks' with eye rolling at over 1 years, they have recently decided these have been partial seizures. She is having 10 average a day, and up to 30 on a bad day.

She is not on any medication other than rescue meds.

We have been on the diet for 1 week, with 1 seizure free day already.

She has taken to diet well, but is experiencing a rash and has had loose poo and seizure activity is reduced but today new seizure activity occurred; eye flicking, twitching and rolling for up to 1 minute.

Wow cmackd. Is the no med decision a family one? Or do the docs avoid it for now? So sorry to hear about your daughter :( 10 a day is a LOT! I have a 4 year old daughter with E that had her first seizure 6 days after she came home from the NICU (she and her twin brother were preemies and spent 22 days in the NICU). We are on lamotrigine and clobazam for now

Claire, we have been following the MAD diet for our 16 year old daughter since last June. She has juvenile myoclonic epilepsy and we were hoping to reduce the (almost) daily myoclonus she was experiencing. It has been a positive experience for us. She went from 5 days of morning myoclonus each week to one day per month. And some months nothing. Ask any questions! I am not an expert but I did a ton of research, have lots of recipes, tips for the first month, follow vegetarian options for my daughter, and include sweet treats for her!

I saw my neuro yesterday talked to him about the modified Atkins diet.
he gave me place check it out johns hopkins Epilepsy center.

yahoo Atkinsforseizures.com

nutrients and natural foods

Thanks for replies. Our diet has stabilised and im gaining confidence with it, she has had mostly seizure free days since we started it:)

Any tips on getting a variety of nutrients and real foods into her on a daily basis? I want her to eat well and have as much balance as possible allowed.

Thanks C

Also, any tips for convenient snacks. Ive been carrying around a cooler bag with buttered flax crackers and oils but could do with something more convenient for when were caught short.

I want to maximise her variety of natural foods, to keep a balance but im leaning on avocadoes, nut butters and animal fats very heavily at the moment :)

Thanks!

thanks for your reply. Any tips for basic meals or snacks would be fab. particularly breakfast and easy snacks.

Im looking to increase variety of real foods but keep meals basic while we get used to the diet.

Thanks, C

Keto

I am on modified Adkins diet. Eatting butter and bacon lots of fattening food. But my keto won't go up. Do any of you know food that will help or why it isn't increasing?

When we 1st started Paige on the diet I ordered ketocal from our local walgreens. It came in powdered form and I would make a shake for her morning and night and add it in her almond flour/flax muffins.

Back
Top Bottom