[Research] Modified Atkins Diet for Seizures: it's zapping my energy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

PixiDust

New
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am on the Modified Atkins Diet for Seizures, or MAD as some people know it, and am having some issues. While my seizures are way down, I have no energy and can't sleep. I know the original Atkins is meant for reducing carbs, which give you energy, so your body uses excess fat to compensate. I am not overweight enough for that/ no extra fat on me, so all my energy is being zapped to the point I have to take two 2 hour naps each day.
Does anyone else use this diet, or have, and experienced this? How did you deal with it? Any suggestion would be helpful as I live a very active life where time is of the essence. Thank You!

I have no energy and can't sleep.
Do you have a nutritionist or dietician you can talk to about making adjustments? Maybe there's tweaking that can be done to the diet given your low body fat. Are you able to drink caffeinated beverages? If so, you could try green tea or even decaf coffee -- it might have just enough caffeine to help give you a little boost. Are you taking any supplements? B-vitamins can sometimes help with energy and magnesium can help with sleep. A CBC might show if you're running a little anemic, which could also be a factor.

And congrats for getting your seizures down!

yeah- so I went to a nutritionist and they said to up the protiens and fat, more dairy and meat, less veggies cause they are mostly water. I am drinking green tea and cafinated coffee, although I know I shouldn't, it is the only way to fully get through a long night of studying. I am a college student, if I didn't mention that above, which is why energy is so important to me. energy is up, but so is weight. So...good and bad. Guess I'll have to take the lack of seizures with weight gain :(

I did the regular Atkins diet as just a diet plan at one point and I did notice fatigue and brain fog the first week or so, but it got better after that. I went strict along with it, even cutting back to only one cup of caffeinated coffee a day working towards weaning decaf; I was working at Starbucks at the time and even prior to that I was a heavy coffee drinker. If memory serves me correctly I think Atkins diet suggested going full decaf, according to Atkins caffeine messes with your blood sugar which can make you feel more fatigued.

I don't know much about the modified version, but from what I learned about Atkins it's one of those diets when you deviate from your diet plan your body doesn't physically tolerate it well. It's a rough start, I'd say give it at least two weeks, oh and drink plenty of water you'll feel so much better if you do.

How long have you being on the diet? What's carb limit?

With this diet you have to stay in the induction phase, so only 20 carbs a day. I have been on it since January, which is why I'm back: things have not changed so something must be off. I have heard there can be serious medical problems if you stay in this stage too long.....

Back
Top Bottom