Modified Atkins Diet (MAD) for Seizures - Ketone level too high?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

rickard

New
Reaction score
Hello all,

My wife just started the MAD about a week ago in order to see if she can go on a reduced dose or come off of her seizure medication. We were delighted & scared to find out this morning that she's already in ketosis!

We were surprised at how much higher her ketone level was than the day before. We were wondering whether or not we need to be concerned if her level gets TOO high. I did some Googling, and most of the articles I found about the dangers of elevated ketones have to do with diabetes. My wife is NOT diabetic.

She plans to call her nutritionist today, but we're finding that this place insists on an office visit when we ask questions, so I was hoping I could query the community here for some advice!

Thanks in advance

Hi Rickard,

I have Type 1 Diabetes as well as E, so for me a high level of ketones is very dangerous, diabetic ketoacidosis, causing fruity breath and whoozy feeling, often mistaken for being drunk. I watch my carbs too, and constantly keep my insulin levels in check to make sure this doesn't happen. I eat smaller meals, 5-7 times a day.

Diets high in protein and fat and low in carbs can raise ketone levels for people, too. Has she had her A1C levels tested?

I bet she has, with the amount of blood vials she's filled over the past few weeks.. Not sure what A1C levels are, though.

She had a glucose tolerance test right before she started the diet.

It's not unusual for ketone levels to go very high right when the diet is started, and the diet may need to be fine-tuned over the course of a few months as the body adjusted. You should be alert for symptoms of excess ketosis:

panting breath
increased heart rate
flushed face
irritability
vomiting
unusually lethargic

If excess ketosis is occurring, drinking pure fruit juice may help -- but you should make sure to discuss what to be on the lookout for and what steps to take with the nutritionist.

Back
Top Bottom