MTV True Life: I Have Epilepsy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Juju26

Pillar
Reaction score
:e: :e: :e: :e: :e: :e: :e: :e:

The whole entire episode is online:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...8wshbwkLp2oBm_owA&sig2=f1lE5nSJmxPFbmo665lyfQ

or

You can just Google it:" True Life I Have Epilepsy "

The episode is about 40 minutes long. I caught the last 10 minutes of it Monday night, it airs again tonight at Midnight eastern time on MTV.

I was shocked and happy when I first came across it. Besides this website and a couple of YouTube videos, I've never seen a documentary about epilepsy and see how other people deal with it.

:e: :e: :e: :e: :e: :e: :e: :e:

Last edited:
Glad you were able to view others having seizures. It is sad when seeing others seize. I often think of what my children felt when they saw me having Tonic/Clonic seizures when they were growing up. I know they were scared to death at times.

I don't like watching people have seizures, so although I'm sure the video is educational particularly for those who know little about seizures and epilepsy I won't watch it. Just a weird hang-up I have, I guess.

Thanks a lot Juju26 for letting us know that was on.

I'm sorry but I don't remember the girls names so I'll just call them the blonde girl and brown haired girl.

I just watched the show with my husband and it was very interesting. I've never seen someone have a seizure before. My husband told me that most of my seizures are like the ones that the blonde girl has, complex partials. I'll shake some, my arms or legs might freeze in one place, drool, stare with my eyes open not blinking and a good bit of other things. I can't imagine what it's like for my husband, or anyone, to just have to sit there and watch me have a seizure knowing there's really nothing they can do except wait for it to be over.

Just a little opinion of the show however.

I really don't think the brown haired girl had a concept of what epilepsy is. I think she even said that she was hoping that with the right medicine and doing exercises she would be 'cured'. I didn't know that there was a brain monitoring system that you could wear and not being in the hospital. I understand that she was trying to have a seizure but the things that she was doing in order to have one were just stupid. When I had that test done I stayed in the hospital and the drs weaned me off of my meds to make me have a seizure - not go play lazer tag or get drunk.

I think the blonde girl did know what epilepsy is. She understood that if she found the right combo of meds that her seizures might become less frequent and not as bad. She said that the meds she is on now have done that but she's hoping to find one's that work even better.

Both knew that they weren't able to drive and understood why. I believe the blonde girl was a little overly cautious about what she could and couldn't do. She said she wouldn't (may have even said couldn't) use a knife and when she went up and down the stairs she did it on her butt, not on her feet. Now I don't know if there were certain reasons for things or not.

I'm glad that the blonde hair girl was able to find a job doing something that she likes to do even after she told them she had epilepsy. She even explained what happens and what to do if she were to have a seizure at work. I hope she doesn't because I know it would scare the little girls a lot.

All in all it was a very good show. Thanks again for letting us know it was on!

Back
Top Bottom