Musical "emotions"............

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Well, I can remember the lyrics better but that is not what I was speaking of. I start to remember my childhood like it was yesterday. I start to remember old friends all the way down to what clothes they were wearing, what food they had on the table and even what color towels they had in the bathroom. Weird huh? I can remember lines from books I have read. And on and on and on. Most of the time I cannot even remember what I did yesterday.

No, the instrumental aspect brings me into a clearer train of thought and wherever it takes me, it seems like I can reach out and touch it.

Long ago music...

Cinnabar,
When I talked about "extreme," I was referring to my ability to remember music, even pieces I have not heard for years. I got out a cd the other day that I had not listened to in over 5 years. Not only could I recite the music as it played, I also "knew" and could recite the opening phrase of each subsequent track on the cd. Somehow, I don't think this is "normal." But then, what about me is?

The "extreme" that I refer to also refers to the fact that I am not a trained musician. I would expect a trained musician to have this ability to predict phrasing in music they've never heard. I would expect a trained musician to have this memory of music heard long ago. I do not expect it of myself. As I have said, I appreciate music; I do not play music except through playing cd's.

I think that maybe the ability to "intuit" the next note or phrase in a piece of new music I'm listening to may have something to do with perhaps an innate understanding of the way music "is" or operates within itself. Has to be that, because I have never had any formal music training except for the semester in college where I had to learn the fundamentals(very basic only)of music to be able to play simple tunes on the piano. It was a class required for all elementary teaching majors. May I say that I did not do well in this class; as I recall, I got a "pity grade" of C so my grade average wouldn't go down the tubes.

I remember as a child under age 6 having a record player with a few kiddie records. As I grew older, I would get LP records as gifts. I have always loved music, but never learned to play it.
Molly: Unlike yourself, I have a poor memory when it comes to remembering lyrics. I think your ability for this kind of recall is a wonderfull thing! Remembering long ago lyrics must be like having accessibility to a storage space in your mind where you're able to open a labled file and pluck out verses. I don't know if this is abnormal but who want's to be normal! If someone were to call me normal, I'd take it as a great insult!!! So far, no one has given me the "complement"!

I can barely hum in the shower with "one" exception: Joni Mitchel. Not only can I anticipate her next word but I can sing along with her very smoothly without hesitation. My voice actually transforms. I find myself mimicking her extraordinary voice. I've been told on occasions when I'm singing along with her that I sound just like her. I might remember her verses and vocal tone because I've played her over and over throughout the years. And because she's really a brilliant writer (in my estimation), I think her verses register easily with me me.

I heard from a piantist friend of mine that composing music requires good mathematical ability. I would be really interested if Speber could comment on this and possibly elaborate. Math and I never got along so there's no chance in hell that I could map out a musical journey for myself!

My great grandmother was a music teacher and began teaching me piano when I was six. When my little pinky fingers couldn't reach a note she'd pull out the ruler and clap my hand. When my father caught her one day he yanked me away from her. The lessons stopped as he never felt the need to find another teacher for me. It's a shame because I was begining to enjoy the learning and playing. Wonder where I would have been in this department had she not been so cruel and stern (she disliked all the women in the family and while only six no expection was made for me).

Despite all that drama, I happen to love certain piano works. :piano:

Cinnabar

Last edited:
Cinnabar,
Do not ask hubby whether or not my total recall of lyrics is neat! He'd give a resounding NO to that question. I have a habit, especially when I'm relaxed, to "find a lyric to suit every situation." And sing it to him. Whether we're in the mall or driving down the road or watching tv; makes no difference, my mind makes those associations and I "give voice" to them!

Joni Mitchel. I like her too. It's neat that she's the one voice you can do.

Texas Travel,
You seem to associate music closely with vivid, detailed memories of people and events. My music memory seems to be tied to the music itself. Much of my music memory does not entail any other memories of specific people or events. Of course, the truth of the matter is, that until recently(the last year), I have gone through life with the habit of "not paying attention."

PHP:
Yes, my memory of music is the same way. It is one aspect that I was talking about. The music that affects me does so deeply. I can be away from that music for years and years and hear the song or melody 10 or 15 years later and it comes back to me like it was 5 minutes ago. And, it affects me the same way.

The music usually has to be something that I can "connect" with though which is why classical, etc. do not do it that much. I do like some classical, etc. but that special connection is not there.

And yes, cinnabar, the history of the band or person(s) can have something to do with it also. The lyrics also have affects but when I think of the lyrics, I usually think of the way that the band is affected, not myself.

When i hear country western music each word has a special meaning or feeling of the song. There is a story or thought behind the music if you listen and think to the music and words. When i listen to music and words it is like there is no one else in the room with me. If you want to talk with me, you would have to sit in my lap to get my attention, that is how deep i will be into the music at times. All this depends on music and songs and groups playing, (plus my mood}.

My love of music came when i was very young. Then the instruments parts came later, but the music ( songs, notes, groups, etc, was always there). Then of course the singing came, with that came alot more understanding toward music, that i did not have before.

Between my love for music and my writing, the two seem to blend together at times. I will be stting at the beach writing a poem and a song or music will come with it { does that make sense}. The meaning behind a country western song is like a walk on a peaceful quiet beach at night watching the sun set and moon rise {just try to see that in your mind}.

Music

PHP:
Yes, my memory of music is the same way. It is one aspect that I was talking about. The music that affects me does so deeply. I can be away from that music for years and years and hear the song or melody 10 or 15 years later and it comes back to me like it was 5 minutes ago. And, it affects me the same way.

The music usually has to be something that I can "connect" with though which is why classical, etc. do not do it that much. I do like some classical, etc. but that special connection is not there.

And yes, cinnabar, the history of the band or person(s) can have something to do with it also. The lyrics also have affects but when I think of the lyrics, I usually think of the way that the band is affected, not myself.

When i hear country western music each word has a special meaning or feeling of the song. There is a story or thought behind the music if you listen and think to the music and words. When i listen to music and words it is like there is no one else in the room with me. If you want to talk with me, you would have to sit in my lap to get my attention, that is how deep i will be into the music at times. All this depends on music and songs and groups playing, (plus my mood}.

My love of music came when i was very young. Then the instruments parts came later, but the music ( songs, notes, groups, etc, was always there). Then of course the singing came, with that came alot more understanding toward music, that i did not have before.

Between my love for music and my writing, the two seem to blend together at times. I will be stting at the beach writing a poem and a song or music will come with it { does that make sense}. The meaning behind a country western song is like a walk on a peaceful quiet beach at night watching the sun set and moon rise {just try to see that in your mind}.

YEP! Certain types of music can put me into a meditative state, Enya for example, and a tree would have to fall down on my head before I'd realize what hit me. I understand that feeling. Oh! I think that there's a correlation between writing and music. Rythm is the key. Like yourself, I wonder what drives a "band" or muscian(s). Who has made them, laugh, cry, think... ? I often wonder about that when listening to pieces that don't "spell" everything out.
I wish I could hear you singing! Cinnabar

Last edited:
What Fun!

Cinnabar,
Do not ask hubby whether or not my total recall of lyrics is neat! He'd give a resounding NO to that question. I have a habit, especially when I'm relaxed, to "find a lyric to suit every situation." And sing it to him. Whether we're in the mall or driving down the road or watching tv; makes no difference, my mind makes those associations and I "give voice" to them!

Joni Mitchel. I like her too. It's neat that she's the one voice you can do.

Texas Travel,
You seem to associate music closely with vivid, detailed memories of people and events. My music memory seems to be tied to the music itself. Much of my music memory does not entail any other memories of specific people or events. Of course, the truth of the matter is, that until recently(the last year), I have gone through life with the habit of "not paying attention."
I know people who have that fun, clever little gift "to find a lyric to suit every situation". My companion sometimes does this but twists the verse very humurously. Cinnabar

Not to turn this WONDERFUL thread clinical...

...but we're talking about "triggers" as we would in any other context!

Whether it be a particular lyric, phrasing, melody, instrument choice, rhythm, or any other characteristic we can think of to try and understand how this phenomenon occurs...we can safely say it "triggers" a response in a individual relatively unique to that individual due to past experiences AND their genetic makeup.
Just WHAT causes any particular "trigger" to react in any one individual is the "brass ring" I strive for in my research...as I know many different positive and negative triggers occur due to music and would like to discover ways to manage this to some degree!
An individual can, over time, figure out for themselves some things like:
  • I don't like this...
  • I like that...
  • I REALLY dislike that!....
  • I REALLY LOVE that!....
...but currently that is about the extent of it. We are at the mercy of our own experiences and ability to put '2 and 2 together'. I would like to discover WHY certain things (instruments, phrasing, rhythms, etc..) are liked or disliked more scientifically to help people better their lives with music instead of drugs.

Now, PLEASE!....back to the WONDERFUL discussion (which I personally voted one of my all-time favorites!)

Sincerely,
Speber
:rock:

In the dark

I'm unclear...missing a beat! Something digressed? I think, perhaps. But I need more clarity to understand what you mean by "getting back to....that WONDERFUL discussion? :huh:

Last edited:
Sorry for the interuption Cinnabar...and everyone....

I'm unclear...missing a beat! Something digressed? I think, perhaps. But I need more clarity to understand what you mean by "getting back to....that WONDERFUL discussion? :huh:

...I was afraid my post might break the 'rhythm', but thought I would comment about how there is a very interesting similarity in your discussion to more, again, 'clinical discussions about 'triggers' so poeple might better see my point of view and approach to the whole research 'thang'!

PLEASE continue.......'as you were'........'onward through the fog'.............'pay no attention to the man behind the curtain'...................'a nod's as good as a wink to a blind man'.........................okay, I'll stop.
:paperbag:

Peace,
speber

Talking about music triggers....

I listen to a variety of music depending on my mood. Blues music (especially with good guitar) always seems to put me in a better mood, I can listen to punk when to release my anger & Leonard Cohen when I'm depressed (believe it or not he makes me feel better).

A couple of times I've been in a good mood & listened to loud, fast music because that's what was in the machine at the time & noticed that I'd be more likely to have a seizure if I wasn't angry, even if I was in the mood to listen to it but not angry.

I also found that there are days when I wake up feeling alive, very energetic physically & mentally alert. Despite feeling good those are the days that I'm more likely to have a seizure & it's often when I'm "getting into" (singing along, rocking my head etc.) whatever music I listen to, possibly because of slightly hyperventilating (at least that's what it feels like when the seizure starts)

Has anybody else noticed anything similar?

Last edited:
Some music seems to calm and relax me. A soothing and rest and peaceful song relax me to the point of getting me off to another "plane" all together {if that make sense to anyone}

One time i was at a pratice { for singing}, and the people in the group told me i just stood there stiff as a board and stared out at the room and not a sound came out of my mouth. Supposply we were singing a song at the time, with a PENDULUM { like a clock with a v, that just swings to music or beat of song }.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some music seems to calm and relax me. A soothing and rest and peaceful song relax me to the point of getting me off to another "plane" all together {if that make sense to anyone}

I love getting to that plane.:)

Do you think your seizure at singing practice was connected to the music at all?

Do you think your seizure at singing practice was connected to the music at all?

I have no idea when my seizures come on, i am telling you what the group told me. But the Pendulum very easy could have been a trigger, even though i would or could not tell. It can be hard at time using different instuments when we pratice our singing, there are so many sounds going on in my head i have to try to block some sound out so i can consentrat on my singing.

I have no idea when my seizures come on, i am telling you what the group told me. But the Pendulum very easy could have been a trigger, even though i would or could not tell. It can be hard at time using different instuments when we pratice our singing, there are so many sounds going on in my head i have to try to block some sound out so i can consentrat on my singing.

I'm not sure what music you are singing to...what instrumentation and such...but it DOES sound like there is some funky 'overload' going on. I say this since you mention you have to "block some sound out" to concentrate AND that the Pendulum may interfere as well.
Good luck with your singing!...I hope future tunes work better for you.
As for the Pendulum...maybe physical placement in the group would help reduce its impact on you somehow? I don't know if that is possible, but I thought I would throw it out there.
Peace,
Speber

Wow. I had no idea that my experience with music could be connected to epilepsy, or that other people shared something like this at all. It's... kind of mindblowing!

My tastes are very eclectic. I've got everything from Maurice Ravel to Dream Evil to Enya to David Bowie in my collection. Generally speaking, though, I tend to gravitate toward music that revs me up. My seizures and meds make me feel relaxed and sleepy enough, I rarely need music to help me with that. :p Sometimes music sends me into the trance state mentioned earlier in the thread. It almost feels as if I'm floating, and the outside world recedes. The trance feels lovely, but it can be inconvenient or even dangerous if I hear a song in a public place that triggers it, since I can't always snap out at will.

The other, rarer, reaction to music that I experience is a rush of euphoria and energy. It's absolutely incredible! Shivers of pleasure thrill up and down my spine. This usually ends in a seizure, once the sensory stimulation gets to be too much.

Wow. I had no idea that my experience with music could be connected to epilepsy, or that other people shared something like this at all. It's... kind of mindblowing!

My tastes are very eclectic. I've got everything from Maurice Ravel to Dream Evil to Enya to David Bowie in my collection. Generally speaking, though, I tend to gravitate toward music that revs me up. My seizures and meds make me feel relaxed and sleepy enough, I rarely need music to help me with that. :p Sometimes music sends me into the trance state mentioned earlier in the thread. It almost feels as if I'm floating, and the outside world recedes. The trance feels lovely, but it can be inconvenient or even dangerous if I hear a song in a public place that triggers it, since I can't always snap out at will.

The other, rarer, reaction to music that I experience is a rush of euphoria and energy. It's absolutely incredible! Shivers of pleasure thrill up and down my spine. This usually ends in a seizure, once the sensory stimulation gets to be too much.

It sounds like the :p maybe you might be on another "plane" -outside of hearing anybody besides that music. To me this is a beautiful place to be { just you and the music}. You may have to try to stay away from some form of music when you are out in public { like roads}. At christmas time it is hard for me with all the music playing in town, i have tryed to relax and enjoy the music and breath slow breaths, which help me try to stay focus on whats in front of me- don`t let my mind drift to another "Plane" were i get lost from everyone.

My music is like an escape for me.I most defently love Country western and oldies but goodies music, they have meanings to each phars in the songs.

The importance of my music and thoughts on the zone

Well, it's been nearly over a year since I've participated in this Room or any for that matter due to personal reasons. I searched for the right thread here to tell my story. And here is where my story belongs.

Over the years I've collected so many CD's. Some have saved a weary evening, enhanced my joy, allowed me to reflect on the old times. Then there are those that have placed my in the zone which could not be penetrated by my own thoughts.

Now, I could go to the The Padded Room with this but I think my grief belongs here. That it will be understood and felt strongly only by musicians and appreciators of music.

Re-reading this thread. What can I say? Got me all choked up. How does music affect us? If you read this thread you'll all know how much music means to me.

I recently moved to a lovely place. But the move was a disaster. One guy didn't show up with tools...and on and on. One by one my utility knife cut into so many boxes. Fine. Everthing in place. So, I thought. I eventually realized a box was missing. In it was half of my large CD collection. Before "feeling" I "acted" and called the Co.s Superior. There was nothing they could do but check the van. It wasn't there. Numb then the feelings of anger then the most heart wrenching grief.

Each day a missing artist, friend, pops into my head. I almost feel like a death has occured. In fact, a new death nearly everyday. Where's my Joan Biaz who I used to listen to when a young girl? The Beach Boys who I'd listen to on my IPod while walking the track? (Now I could go out and buy the CD but I have to watch my finances now.)Where's Eric Sate who I disovered on the radio one beautiful spring morning? The Swing music my uncle just recently left me upon his demise? Much of my zone music gone and God knows I need them now.

Still more discoveries ahead of me when I go to my CD shelves looking for that "one" I want, need to listen to.

I don't know what else to say now except thank you for listening. Laurie

Last edited:
I imagine it's painful to have a box of possessions go missing, regardless of the contents.. I'm very sorry you've lost your "memory box" of music, Laurie. Perhaps you can make rebuilding your music collection an act of joyful reacquaintance. With financial constraints in mind, consider buying just one CD every few months (perhaps used off of eBay or craigslist) and give that CD your full attention -- make your first re-listen a special occasion! Throw a party! Go for a special walk! Lie down on a favorite patch of earth and look up the trees while your new/old CD surges through your headphones! See if you can parcel out one song a day, or just go ahead and gobble them all up at once. Ask friends to burn CDs of some of the artists you miss most, and to make personalized CD mixes of other artists you might like. Maybe Pandora and Grooveshark can help fill in the gaps while you're rebuilding.

Best,
Nakamova

Nakimova, thank you. When I wrote this I was in quite a visceral state and was nowhere near thinking of what I can "do".

Perhaps you can make rebuilding your music collection an act of joyful reacquaintance.

This is something I can do over time. You put your suggestion so eloquantly:

an act of joyful reacquaintance

eBay would be the way for me to go as I just moved to the exact place I've always wanted to be but need to keep an eye on finances. I can't believe how expensive CDs have become. Or, as you said, I could have a friend burn some for me.

make your first re-listen a special occasion!

I'm all for special occasions and I sure can come up with ideas.

Nakomava, thank you so much. I didn't think anyone would reply because in essence I hijacked this thread. But it's one of my favorites because I enjoyed participating in the long gives and takes, here. Anyone, please carry on and with my apolgy.

Thank you, again. My best, Laurie

Last edited:
Music therapy is the best. When I played the violin ( I did since I was nine) always fighting for 1st chair. That instrament was a part of my body. I could make that bow do anything.I could make it happy or cry. I also competed in voice. I always did very well.After I came out of my coma, I tried to join a local college orchestra and lost my abilities in my arms. I'm going to practice because its such a passion.I shiver or cry when I think of it taken away.So I thout ok, a new part of my journy is come. Now I am getting VNS. I love to perform, act,do musicals,I dont want that thing in my neck when I'm performing.Oh well thanks for listening to my grief.

Back
Top Bottom