My First Sz Injury... MAJOR

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Kate

New
Reaction score
Late last night I had been feeling odd so I took a shower.. Everyone else was in bed but my mom got concerned and came in to ask if I was alright. I told her "I feel funny" and then.. I fell down. Apparently my wrist was what "broke the fall." This seizure was very short, and different then most of mine because I actually remember waking up from this one. I was screaming and I knew I broke my wrist. :(

So, we went to the county hospital after I was sure I wasn't going to have any more seizures. After what felt like forever they finally took x-rays.. and sure enough, my wrist is broke. And it's my right one, which sucks because I am right handed and not good with my left at all. Just typing this took FOREVER.

My wrist is all wrapped up to the elbow and in 30 minutes I get to call my ortho to see if he can fit me in this afternoon or if I have to go to their "Ortho Urgent Care" and get my cast on. Also, they'll make sure that I don't need surgery.

So.. these last two weeks.. seizures, worst stomach flu ever, AND now a broken wrist? Whew.. Who knew turning 20 was so wild, lol.

Oh my... so sorry to hear that Kate. :paperbag:

I like it better when you post good news. :pfft:

That is a he** of a birthday present! Glad your Mom was around to help. At least this one will heal with time.

:zacepi:

I bruised my ribs once falling from a seizure and I seemed to come out of that one faster than normal as well. I wonder if the pain itself or mabybe the bodies natural pain killers have an effect on the seizure or at least the post-eptic state.

Oh wow! Sorry to hear about the wrist Kate. :( But just think.....after this, you may end up ambidextrous. :) Just joking..... Just try to smile and know that it's only for a little while.....

68943fa6.gif

Getting your wings clipped isn't a lot of fun but you can get creative with the cast. I broke my right arm before christmas in 2002 and they made my cast look like a candy cane with red and white stripes!

Kate those casts stink don't they?...

I broke my LEFT hand (which stunk because I'm a lefty) when I was young and stoopid.......I got mad and punched a treehouse door like an idiot....

...but it will go away soon.

The seizure(s) might be around for awhile (very unfortunately)...so I thought I would share this with you.

My WORST INJURY EVER was in the shower after an extremely exhausting two weeks of 15 hour shifts at a very physical and mentally challenging job.
Suffice it to say I was BEAT UP AND BEAT DOWN BEFORE the seizure....my threshold was at an all- time low.
It sounds to me like you may be a little 'beat down' yourself....so be careful not to let more (like the depressing thought of this injury itself for instance) add to it!
It really can be a snowball effect and for me at least the seizures SEVERITY is directly proportional to how low the threshold is.

Do everthing you can to relax and get back to HAPPY!!!!!
:banana::woot:

Good Luck!
Spencer

Oh Kate,

So sorry to hear that!! You poor girl!! Get a pretty hot pink cast!! At least they make nice colors now! I sure hope it feels better and thank goodness you didn't hit your head or anything worse! If it makes you feel better...our daughter broke both of hers at once when she was in 4th gr. She had a pink cast and lime green. She fell off the swings at school. Feel better!!!!!

Hugs!
Michelle : ))

Sorry you broke your wrist. Did you not even feel it until after the seizure was over?

arm.jpg

Biggg picture, and its brighter in person.. but theres my purple cast. It looks dark cause mom took the pic with my cell with no flash.

So, no surgery.. but the cast is on for 6-7 weeks. Which means it will be on when I go to Europe in April.. but once the swelling and pain goes down Ill have more use of my hand than I expected.

Im having trouble not being depressed.. just healed from ankle surgery. and all this.. Mom is going to see about me talking to a therapist, which hopefully will help.

Thanks for the support everyone!!!!

And to answer your question, I don't remember falling, I just recall screaming on the floor realizing my wrist was broken. And.. interesting point, it kinda was like the pain or shock or something broght me out of the seizure.​

Last edited:
Kate, it just has to get better than this! Maybe that flu contributed to this one. Take it really easy. I know, it's hard to do that when in extreme pain.

From what I've heard, once one seizure starts, especially a severe one, another seizure will probably follow it until everything is calmed down again. Remember, you can't fall from the floor. Whatever you do, please do not take a bath since that's kind of a danger for you. Maybe you can use those cleansing wipes from the drug store that come pre-moistened in a handy, dandy refillable package rather than attempt to go in the tub alone.

Above all, please, please take it easy.

Kate:

So sorry to hear this!

:(

Hope you recover soon!

Sorry to hear about the seizure & broken wrist ate.

Hope everything starts getting better for you from now on :)

Awesome color choice!! Sorry that it is broken though. Broken bones suck!! I have broken my arm/wrist 4 times, all because I was/am clumsy and dumb. Tripped twice, tried rollerblading down 14 stairs once (not a good choice) and once my a cousin who has anger issues.

Kater has never had a serious injury. She has smacked her noodle a couple times, but I am not even 100% sure what caused her to fall. I am leaning towards the fact that she doesn't pick up her toys, and that she drops her backpack and jacket wherever.

O.k...Girl..you are stylin with the purple cast!! Try to remember this won't last forever!! Look forward to your Europe trip. How exciting!!! How long will you be over there? Maybe it'll help to talk to someone. I go to a Psychiatist and I love it. It is actually ironic..I initially went because I kept being told I had anxietyand Panic attacks in my sleep. They were seizures. Turns out, he has been most helpful, even in me getting the proper diagnosis and he is wonderful to run everything by. Great input and suggestions. Plus, at this point I do have anxiety from all this! HA! Seriously, I do!

Take care and be careful with that wrist!!!
Michelle in Atlanta

I've done more injuries to myself that are not seizure related. The best one was when I had 3 inch heels on, all dressed up to go out to lunch, and rushed around (really bad choice!) to meet somebody. I just moved into my house and we were still repairing and replacing stuff. Our stairway carpet was old and had a little loop in it....Guess you can figure out the rest...My heel got caught in the rug and I went literally rolling down the steps. I did break my good arm that day.

This could have been worse.

If I was there, I would take a set of markers and draw on the purple cast. Art is a great stress buster. Believe it or not, I recently toured the Crayola Crayon factory a few months ago and thoroughly enjoyed sitting at one of the tables with a bunch of little kids drawing all kinds of stuff. Just ask RobinN!

Last edited:
Wow!! So sorry to hear about your arm. My szs. are a little different. I just get really confused and sometimes I talk about or to people who don't exist. I had a really good friend who had her first seizure. at 25 in the shower. She fell, hit her head and died. Please be careful. I just had brain surgery for my seziures. Had a massive tumor removed. My mom sat in a chair in the bathroom everytime I took a shower for weeks afterward. I called her the prison matron. HA:roflmao: Sweet cast!! I didn't know that they could come in cool colors. Feel better. I could have beeen worse.

Wow!.....

Sorry to hear about the seizure & broken wrist ate......

OMG!!!!!.....was the hospital food THAT bad!:eek:
:roflmao:

<trying to cheer ya up Kate!>;)
:banana:

Rebecca broke hers twice in the same place when ice skating. That was her color choice as well.
Now you just have to be careful when taking a bath, since showers are not easy with a cast. Remember to not take one when alone.

Back
Top Bottom